Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 98845 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #944 on: August 01, 2022, 05:54:48 AM »
Advertisement
Four new Republican polls have found Dems ahead by an average of 4.5 points:

Americans for Prosperity 42-39 (+3 Dem)
Echelon Insights                48-44 (+4 Dem)
Chamber of Commerce    46-41 (+5 Dem)
Winning The Issues           47-41 (+6Dem)

Arizona polls:

Arizona Senate:
Kelly (D-inc) 51% (+12)
Masters (R) 39%

Kelly (D-inc) 51% (+11)
Brnovich (R) 40%

Kelly (D-inc) 50% (+10)
Lamon (R) 40%

Arizona Governor:
Hobbs (D) 49% (+9)
Lake (R) 40%

Hobbs (D) 48% (+8)
Robson (R) 40%

Beacon Research/ @Enviro_Voter, 504 LV, 7/5-20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1553051123505840131

New Fox News polls just out:

PA SEN:
47% Fetterman (D)
36% Oz (R)

GA SEN:
46% Warnock (D)
42% Walker (R)

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1552780553937715201

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #944 on: August 01, 2022, 05:54:48 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #945 on: August 01, 2022, 06:09:36 AM »
Carl Quintanilla @carlquintanilla

FUNDSTRAT: The @ClevelandFeds inflation forecast “now shows July CPI tracking to 0.27% .. This is .. 3.24% annualized .. the lowest rate since January 2021 .. a collapse from the 9%-12% annualized rates seen in all of 2022 ..” - @fundstrat

Mike Zaccardi, CFA, CMT @MikeZaccardi

RBOB gasoline futures $3.08
Lowest since April 11 tonight. $UGA $RB_F

Patrick De Haan @GasBuddyGuy

BREAKING: According to GasBuddy data, the median US gas price has fallen to $3.99/gal. The national average, for comparison, is $4.184/gal. Over 70,000 stations at $3.99/gal or less.

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1553775364165570562

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #946 on: August 01, 2022, 06:41:13 AM »
The nation's leading military and veteran advocate

VFW National HQ @VFWHQ

25 senators changed their votes and no longer support toxic-exposed veterans. No more delays! No more games! Tell your senators to #PASSTHEPACTACT! https://votervoice.net/mobile/VFW/Campaigns/96682/Respond

Watch: https://twitter.com/VFWHQ/status/1553169860191993858

Chuck Schumer @SenSchumer

I’m standing with NY veterans to announce that despite the Senate GOP effort to prevent the PACT Act passing last week:

There will be a new Senate vote this week.

Our veterans who got sick from toxic exposure in the line of duty must get the health care they need and deserve.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1553891776217419784

Sheldon Whitehouse @SenWhitehouse

Blocking veterans benefits out of spite and celebrating with a fist bump is a mind-boggling act of disrespect. The only way for Republicans to make this right is to pass the PACT Act on Monday. America is watching

https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1553795415740391425

Sawyer Hackett @ SawyerHackett

Here’s @tedcruz fist-bumping fellow Republicans after blocking a bill to help veterans exposed to toxic burn pits.

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1553074556662943744

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #946 on: August 01, 2022, 06:41:13 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #947 on: August 01, 2022, 10:08:20 PM »
Watch: Herschel Walker flubs Fox News softball questions about debates and secret children

Georgia Republican Senate candidate Senate Herschel Walker sought to explain some of his gaffes and scandals during an interview on Fox News.

In the taped interview, Fox News host Brian Kilmeade pointed out that Walker has not accepted a debate with Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock.

"There's a debate Oct. 16," Kilmeade noted. "Why won't you commit to Oct. 16?"

Walker argued that Warnock was calling for debates as a ruse to avoid his "terrible record."

"One of the first things you have got to think about is a debate is for the people, not for any press or for any political party," he said. "He keeps talking about debates because he doesn't want to talk about his terrible record."

Kilmeade also asked why Walker had refused to publicly claim some of his children whom he has "limited" contact with.

"We know about your son Christian," the Fox News host said. "What about the three others?"

"I've acknowledged my other kids," Walker insisted. "And the thing I didn't acknowledge them here because my daughter, people have seen her at some of the functions I've been at."

He added: "My two youngest kids, I'm not going to acknowledge them because I don't want them to be on any kind of scrutiny."

"Are you involved in their lives?" Kilmeade wondered.

"Well, I've always been involved in their lives," Walker asserted. "Those boys know I love them to death. They know that their dad loves them. And that's what counts."

The Fox News host also pressed the candidate on false claims that he had worked at the FBI as an "agent."

"No, I never said I worked with the FBI," Walker falsely told Kilmeade. "I said I worked with -- I said I've been to the FBI, I've trained with the FBI, which I did."

Walker addressed bizarre remarks he made about how China's "bad air" would "float" over to the United States.

"You know, that is very simple," Walker remarked. "We have good air here. China do not have good air. And I said we're doing our part."

"If everybody don't buy in, what are we doing?" he concluded.

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #948 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »
Dr. Oz's 'mountain of a conflict of interest' exposed in new report

According to a report from the Daily Beast's Sam Brodey, Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is currently trailing in the polls in his bid to replace Sen. Pat Toomey (R) representing Pennsylvania, is being called out by medical ethics experts for plugging health supplements to his loyal fan base without divulging he has a massive financial stake in the companies.

That information was discovered in the financial disclosure paperwork he filed as part of his Senate bid as a Republican after winning his primary battle with the endorsement of Donald Trump.

Case in point, as Brodey wrote, Oz, in a promotional video for Walmart, plugged a supplement called TruBiotics, telling the audience, "You may not realize that a quality probiotic is a proven immunity booster," before adding, "Two probiotic strains can strengthen your digestive and immune health. These two complementary strains can be found in TruBiotics.”

What he didn't tell his fans was the fact that, as Brodey wrote, "Oz was a member of the board of directors of the brand’s parent company, PanTheryx. He holds a stake in the business worth as much as $1 million."

The report notes this was not a one-off for the conservative TV doctor, with the Beast report adding even more dubious claims Oz made which also happened to put money in his pocket.

"In several other instances, Oz’s platforms boosted PanTheryx products without disclosing Oz’s personal financial relationship to the company. In 2018, for example, videos ran on the Dr. Oz Show website that were sponsored by DiaResQ, another PanTheryx supplement. None of the PanTheryx products Oz plugged were approved by the Food and Drug Administration; one study found DiaResQ was 'no better than a placebo,'" the report states.

Asked for comment, medical ethics expert Arthur Caplan, of the NYU Grossman School of Medicine, said what Oz is doing represents a "mountain of a conflict of interest.”

“It’s one thing to say, ‘I have commercials on my show that advertise products and I’m going to flag that.’ It’s very different to say, ‘Take this, and I’m not going to tell you, I own it. You simply cannot do what he’s disclosing he did,” he said before conceding, "It’s not illegal, but certainly, ethically, it’s completely dubious.”

The Beast report adds, "The American Medical Association’s code of ethics discourages physicians from selling or being paid to endorse any health products beyond medication. If they choose to do so, the AMA says physicians have an ethical obligation to disclose 'the nature of their financial interest in the sale of the product(s),' among other things."

AFP

Dr. Oz’s Dark History of Promoting Companies He Was Quietly Invested In

When Dr. Mehmet Oz sat in front of the camera last year for a promotional video for Walmart, it ostensibly was to inform his fans and viewers how best to improve their immune health.

“You may not realize that a quality probiotic is a proven immunity booster,” Oz said to the camera, before holding up a little green-and-blue package containing a supplement called TruBiotics, which purports to improve health by introducing good bacteria into the gut.

“Two probiotic strains can strengthen your digestive and immune health,” Oz said. “These two complementary strains can be found in TruBiotics.”

It was a characteristic piece of advice from America’s foremost TV doctor, who built a national brand on dispensing surprising—and surprisingly simple—remedies for widespread health concerns. And fittingly, for a doctor whose daily show was a promotional cash cow, the spot was clearly labeled as sponsored by TruBiotics.

Viewers may have surmised that Oz’s video plugging TruBiotics was, essentially, an ad. What they were not aware of, however, is that Oz was a member of the board of directors of the brand’s parent company, PanTheryx. He holds a stake in the business worth as much as $1 million.

The full extent of Oz’s financial relationship with PanTheryx—along with several other health supplement companies—has been revealed for the first time thanks to personal financial disclosure forms he was required to file as a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania.

In several other instances, Oz’s platforms boosted PanTheryx products without disclosing Oz’s personal financial relationship to the company. In 2018, for example, videos ran on the Dr. Oz Show website that were sponsored by DiaResQ, another PanTheryx supplement. None of the PanTheryx products Oz plugged were approved by the Food and Drug Administration; one study found DiaResQ was “no better than a placebo.”

In his forms, Oz disclosed that, from 2017 to December 2021—when he launched his campaign for Senate—he was a member of the board of PanTheryx. As of February, Oz is a consultant for the company, according to his disclosure form, and is set to be awarded with over 700,000 shares of restricted stock in the company in return for three years of work.

In 2019, a press release from PanTheryx announced Oz was joining the board of the company. But viewers of Oz’s promotional content likely wouldn’t have known the doctor had a direct financial stake in whether they bought or sold the product whose benefits Oz was extolling.

Oz has long used his platform—and the trust of his audience—to hawk specific products, though he has claimed in the past that he has never personally profited from that activity. Under oath at a U.S. Senate committee hearing in 2014, Oz testified that he “never” endorses “one specific brand” and that “doctors shouldn’t endorse.”

But according to Arthur Caplan, a leading medical ethics expert at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine, Oz’s actions in this case represent a “mountain of a conflict of interest.”

“It’s one thing to say, ‘I have commercials on my show that advertise products and I’m going to flag that.’ It’s very different to say, ‘Take this, and I’m not going to tell you, I own it,” Caplan said. “You simply cannot do what he’s disclosing he did.”

"It’s not illegal,” Caplan continued, “but certainly, ethically, it’s completely dubious.”

The American Medical Association’s code of ethics discourages physicians from selling or being paid to endorse any health products beyond medication. If they choose to do so, the AMA says physicians have an ethical obligation to disclose “the nature of their financial interest in the sale of the product(s),” among other things.

The Oz campaign didn’t respond to requests for comment from The Daily Beast, which included questions about his business arrangements with companies whose products he promoted.

Oz, who is running in a must-win battleground state for the GOP, has a background arguably unlike any other political player. Leveraging his medical expertise to create compelling TV netted Oz notoriety, wealth, and power.

But Oz has accumulated plenty of baggage on that path, prompting questions about who was really served by his medical advice and massive platform. While Oz has long faced scrutiny, his run for Senate has prompted a deeper examination of his record and invited a new set of questions about how he would wield the rare power afforded to a U.S. senator.

For instance, Oz’s sprawling financial disclosure forms list a number of assets and complicated arrangements stemming from the fortune he made in entertainment. Those entanglements have already proven complicated; they could become even more so if he were elected and were in a position to help regulate the supplement industries in which he is invested.

"It doesn’t bode well when you’re willing to not be transparent about your recommendations,” said Caplan, “to think he’d be an honest broker in regulating things in the medical sphere that he could influence in his standing as a doctor-senator.”

PanTheryx is not the only company that generated undisclosed income for Oz while he plugged its products. He also worked extensively for Usana Health Sciences, a Utah-based multi-level marketing company that bills itself as the “cellular nutrition company.”

Usana markets products such as the “CellSentials Pack,” which contains “a triple-action cellular nutritional system formulated to nourish, protect, and renew optimal cellular health.”

According to Oz’s disclosure form, Usana had two separate compensation arrangements with Oz Media LLC, a shell corporation associated with his business ventures.

One paid him for making “live and virtual speeches and presentations at Usana events and appeared at photo opportunities and other Usana events.” Another indicates he acted as “Brand Ambassador” for Usana brands through public appearances, “creation of promotional content,” interviews, and other activities.

In February, months before Oz’s financial disclosure was filed, Politico cited a court filing in which it was alleged that Oz and his show were paid $50 million to promote products from Usana on air.

Oz’s campaign disputed that claim, saying only that $50 million was an “incorrect and inflated” figure and denying that Oz profited at all directly from arrangements with Usana.

“Usana was an integrations advertising partner with The Doctor Oz Show, which was paid for the partnership, not Dr. Mehmet Oz directly,” said Brittany Yanick, Oz campaign spokesperson.

But the new documents tell a different story, showing a direct link between Usana and Oz.

They don’t reveal how much Oz Media LLC was paid for promoting their brands, but that money almost certainly made it into Oz’s pocket; elsewhere on his financial disclosure form, he reported earning $7 million in income through Oz Media LLC.

There are several instances of Oz hawking Usana products on his show. The Dr. Oz Show website, for instance, featured Usana products in promotional giveaways.

In a 2015 episode, he promoted an unregulated and unproven liver supplement called Hepasil, which was manufactured by Usana. Asked by an audience member whether her past partying could have damaged her liver long-term, Oz encouraged her to take a supplement. “I’ll show you one that I like a lot,” he said.

Of course, it was Hepasil, which Oz claimed could help “reverse a lot of things that may have happened” to her liver by stimulating “liver enzymes” through “patented olivol.”

That segment prompted criticism at the time—without the full extent of Oz’s relationship with Usana being known. Michael Hitzlik, a business columnist at the Los Angeles Times, wrote about the lack of evidence for Oz’s claims.

“If he thought it might be wise to caution people to be careful about putting a largely unregulated nutritional supplement into their body, he didn’t say so,” Hitzlik said.

Noting that Usana was mentioned in the credits of the show as a “trusted sponsorship partner,” Hitzlik wrote that “it would be hard for Oz to avoid a personal financial gain from this relationship.”

Caplan, the NYU medical ethics expert, noted the broader problem rooted in Oz’s plugging of supplements. “He has just pushed a lot of nonsense over the years on the show,” he said. “I fear he’s done more damage by being there blessing all manner of unproven, cockamamie interventions for people who really are at risk for serious diseases.”

The last time Oz appeared under the lights of a Senate hearing, in 2014, he was fending off that exact kind of scrutiny from lawmakers who now could be his future colleagues.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), now a senior member on the Senate Commerce Committee, subjected Oz to a lengthy grilling, which included a question on why he didn’t sell specific medical products.

“You wouldn’t trust me if you came to me for advice,” Oz said, “and I said ‘Oh, you’d got a stubbed toe here, take my version of a solving cream.’”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-ozs-dark-history-of-promoting-companies-he-was-quietly-invested-in

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #948 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #949 on: August 01, 2022, 10:36:57 PM »
Thank you Mr. President for looking out for our vets!

President Biden @POTUS

I'd planned to stop by the Capitol and visit families fighting to pass burn pits legislation. COVID got in the way, so I FaceTimed them and sent some pizza.

It’s our sacred obligation to care for our veterans. I won’t stop fighting alongside them to get this bill passed.

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1553760943166951427

Biden FaceTimes veterans protesting for burn pit bill, sends pizza

Washington [US], July 31 (ANI): US President Joe Biden interacted with veterans who are camping out at the Capitol building and protesting for the Burn Pit Bill to expand care for veterans with burn pit injuries, through FaceTime and sent them pizza.

Biden said that he planned a trip to Capitol Hill to meet the families fighting to pass burn pits legislation, however, he had to cancel after testing positive for COVID-19, The Hill Newspaper reported.

“I planned an unscheduled trip to Capitol Hill this afternoon to meet the families fighting to pass burn pits legislation. A positive COVID test got in the way, but I want to thank @SecVetAffairs for bringing pizza in my place and connecting me with the families via FaceTime,” the US President said in a tweet.

Biden tested positive for COVID-19 again on Saturday. Earlier, he tested positive for COVID-19 on July 21 and was under treatment for around a week.

The pizza was delivered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough.

"Proud to bring pizza from @POTUS to the Vets camping out at the Capitol until the Senate passes the PACT Act,” McDonough said in a tweet.

“These heroes fought for our country–they shouldn’t have to fight for health care, too. The Senate must pass the PACT Act now,” the tweet added.

During FaceTime, the US President said that the country has a “sacred obligation” to care for those who go into war and care for them and their families after they return, the publication said.

Opposing the legislation is “despicable,” Biden said adding that the bill’s opponents are “going to make up for the mistake they made.”

The Senate carried out the voting for the bill on Wednesday, however, the bill only received 55 votes. A minimum of 60 votes are required to pass the bill.

During the voting, three senators were absent. Meanwhile, all Democrats along with eight Republicans voted in favor of the bill.

US Senator Chuck Schumer on Thursday said that he plans to bring the bill up for a vote again on Monday.

Biden has been focused on expanding benefits for veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and were exposed to toxic chemicals from burn pits and has always called it a “sacred obligation” to prepare those serving in the armed forces and to care for them and their families when they return home.

The issue of burn pits strikes a personal note for the president who believes related chemicals may have contributed to the brain cancer that ultimately killed his son, Beau Biden, The Hill reported.

Earlier, in June, Biden signed a bill to provide better access to mammograms for veterans exposed to burn pits as part of nine bills signed into law aimed to improve veterans’ health care.(ANI)

https://theprint.in/world/biden-facetimes-veterans-protesting-for-burn-pit-bill-sends-pizza/1062933/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #950 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:29 PM »
Each day, that the Republicans continue to block the PACT Act more of our veterans will die.

Republicans are playing politics with our veterans lives, because they do not want the Inflation Reduction Act to pass which will reduce inflation, tackle climate change, reduce health care costs, and give the middle class a tax break. Republicans do not want President Biden to get a victory with this important Act that the overwhelming majority of Americans want, so they are willing to block this extremely important life saving veterans bill (PACT Act) out of spite. These same Republicans supported this bill just a few weeks ago and now they are blocking it for political purposes.

As I keep saying, Republicans do not care about you or your family. They vote against them every single time. Republicans do not care about our veterans suffering from cancer and other diseases, they use them as pawns for their political games like they are doing now. Republicans do not want the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 to pass because they won't be able to falsely attack President Biden on Twitter and tv anymore over inflation. The same inflation that the entire world is going through.

So, Republicans are willing to continue to make our vets suffer so they can stop a major bill that will reduce inflation, prescription drug costs, and help with our climate crisis. Absolutely disgraceful. 

Why are these Republicans in office when they refuse to do the work that the American people demand?

Ever since Biden came into office, the Republican playbook has been for the Republican House to vote "NO" on major important bills and then the Republican Senate will block the bills from becoming law. By doing this, the legislation won't get passed and Republicans can then attack President Biden and Democrats for "not doing anything". Republicans believe that using obstruction will help them politically in November. So, Republicans have no interest in helping Americans, all they want to do is play political games hoping to regain power.   

Republicans were doing everything they could to stop the "Build Back Better Act" from passing, but now that this ACT is a condensed version of the Inflation Reduction Act, they are outraged that Joe Manchin has signed on to the bill to get it passed so they are purposely tanking this veterans PACT Act. It's pure politics and it's disgraceful.

Democrats are working to make people's lives better while Republicans just want to create more problems. These are the same Republicans who lied about phony election fraud and attempted a coup to illegally keep Trump in power. And now they are doing everything possible trying to prevent the Inflation Reduction Act from passing because they want inflation to remain high because they believe it helps them politically.

Republicans do not care about inflation, if they did they would vote "YES" for the Inflation Reduction Act reduce inflation. All they want to do is feign outrage on tv and Twitter to falsely attack President Biden and Democrats hoping to score political points. They do this with every important bill they vote "NO" on or block in the Senate. It's all political theatre. If Republicans actually cared, they would be passing these bills and not trying to stop them from passing. Always look at their actions and not their words.                               

Senate Republicans burned a bill that would have helped veterans — here’s why

Democrats say the reason is over unrelated pending bills.

Republicans blocked a bill on Wednesday that many saw as a bipartisan slam dunk — it aimed to expand certain benefits for veterans due to toxic exposure they experienced while deployed — leaving many veterans and their supporters shocked.

The PACT Act, a bill that would have expanded the Department of Veterans Affairs health care to presume veterans whose military service included exposure to burn pits — large trenches dug to burn and dispose of sewage, medical waste, and other trash — to be victims of exposure to toxic substances and fumes when they have symptoms of certain illnesses. The bill would have removed the burden of proof veterans currently need to show in order to receive assistance.

Both houses of Congress previously passed the bill, with the Senate voting 84-14 in June in favor, but the bill was forced into another vote after “administrative issues” were found in its text. After changes were made, it was expected to breeze through Congress and be signed into law by President Joe Biden.

However, 25 Republican senators flipped their vote and blocked the bill on Wednesday.

Supporters and activists, such as former talk show host Jon Stewart, who had gathered at the Capitol hoping for a celebration following the bill’s passing, instead were met with frustration. On Thursday, Stewart and others joined lawmakers such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to forcefully call out Republicans for voting down the bill.

“They don’t have to hear it, they don’t have to see it, they don’t have to understand that these are human beings. Do we get it yet? These aren’t heroes, these are men and women,” Stewart said in a speech at the Capitol on Thursday.

With the final tally in the Senate on Wednesday at 55-42 (three abstaining), Republicans claim the exact reason why they flipped has nothing to do with the bill’s focus, but rather how the funds would be allocated and managed.

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA), who led opposition to the bill, expressed his desire for an amendment focused on budgetary spending.

"There is a mechanism created in this bill, it’s a budgetary gimmick, that has the intent of making it possible to have a huge explosion in unrelated spending — $400 billion. This budgetary gimmick is so unrelated to the actual budgetary issue that has to do with burn pits that it’s not even in the House bill,” Toomey said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

Toomey told CNN he wants the funding of the bill handled through an annual appropriations process, rather than the current mandatory spending structure.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said he also does not support the ”budgetary gimmick” but does support the bill.

The question remains why more than two dozen Republicans, many veterans themselves, voted for it last month but flipped this week. According to some Democrats, the bill was blocked for political benefit.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) alternatively argues that Republicans took out their anger over a separate bill on the PACT Act. Democrats are attempting to pass the Inflation Reduction Act, which includes a historic $369 billion to be spent over the next 10 years to address climate change, health care, inflation, and taxes.

“The less charitable explanation is this,” Murphy said, about why so many Republicans flipped, “Republicans are mad that Democrats are on the verge of passing climate change legislation and have decided to take out their anger on vulnerable veterans. Because that’s the other thing that’s changed in the last three weeks. Republicans thought that Democrats weren’t going to be able to pass a bill asking corporations to pay a little bit more, tackling climate change. Yesterday, news emerged that there is an agreement that makes it likely that a climate change bill is going to proceed on the Senate floor, and magically 30 votes flip.”

This switch, Democrats say, came as a reaction to the Inflation Reduction Act, which is expected to be voted on this week.

The Democratic candidate for an open Senate seat in Missouri, Lucas Kunce, echoed the sentiment in an interview with Vox. “They had voted for it the first time, they changed because they want to protest a separate bill is what I understand,” he said. Kunce served three tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine officer and was deployed in Iraq where he was stationed near a burn pit and developed a post-nasal drip due to his exposure.

Vox’s Li Zhou also recently reported that Republicans do not want the Inflation Reduction Act to pass and need unanimous support to stop it. Given that Biden came out in praise of it, the bill has a high possibility of passing.

What the bill is, and why it matters

The Sergeant First Class Heath Robinson Honoring Our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act, otherwise known as the PACT Act, was introduced in June by Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), who chairs the House Committee on Veterans Affairs, with the aim to address and fund health care, research, and other matters related to veterans who were exposed to toxic substances during service.

The bill contains two major components — a grace period for veterans who served near burn pits to get medical care, and legislation that tells the VA how to approach certain illnesses and cancers. Veterans would not have to prove that their illnesses are directly related to burn pit exposure to receive disability payments and assistance. Currently, more than 70 percent of disability claims related to burn pit exposure are denied by the VA due to veterans’ inability to prove their illnesses or cancers are linked to exposure to burn pits.

Cancers and other issues alleged to be related to burn pits can come years later, as happened to Sgt. Heath Robinson, whom the bill is named after. Robinson died in 2020 of a rare lung cancer he attributed to smoke exposure during his deployment in Iraq in 2006 and 2007.

Kunce said he felt that many in the armed services assumed they wouldn’t be put in such a harmful situation. “[It was] probably a dumb assumption to make, but ... you gotta trust the system, first of all,” Kunce said. “Second of all, you’ve got no choice, right? I mean, you’re there, there’s nothing else you could do.”

Robinson’s wife Danielle, an advocate for burn pit exposure victims who have been denied benefits, attended Biden’s State of the Union address earlier this year, where he laid out his support for enhancing veterans’ benefits as part of his so-called bipartisan “unity agenda” which, among other things, focuses on the commitment to veterans by delivering on promises made regarding health care, mental health, and homelessness.

The PACT Act also plays into a broader conversation that’s happening over veterans’ rights. In June, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision in favor of a veteran whose case was related to burn pit exposure in Torres v. Texas Department of Public Safety. The ruling allowed US Army veteran Le Roy Torres to sue the state of Texas after losing his job due to an injury he received while serving.

What’s next?

Activists, lawmakers, and veterans alike are demanding further action, with some even calling the vote criminal as they criticize Republicans for stopping the bill.

“Wait a minute. You’re not gonna help our veterans, because we want to: lower the cost of prescription drugs, the cost of health care, to protect the planet. Of course you don’t agree with any of those things, but would you use that to vote against our veterans? It’s really immoral, almost criminal,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Another procedural vote is set for Monday, but Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer can technically call the Senate to a vote at any time. In light of the congressional recess beginning on August 5, timeliness will be key.

https://www.vox.com/2022/7/30/23284976/senate-republicans-pact-act-veterans

Jon Stewart is Right to Angry About the PACT Act

The comedian and activist spent the weekend calling out Ted Cruz and Republicans for using veterans as political pawns.

Jon Stewart went on a media blitz over the weekend, appearing on everything from MSNBC and Meet the Press to conservative channels like Fox News and Newsmax to call out Republican Senators like Ted Cruz for torpedoing a piece of legislation titled the PACT Act that provides healthcare for U.S. veterans.

He even made his own video, which he posted on socials. (More on that below.) Which is all to say: Jon Stewart is pissed—and rightfully so. But maybe you're seeing a lot of Jon Stewart headlines and are just...confused. Here's what went down.

What is the PACT Act?

In a speech on the Senate floor, Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) described the PACT Act as “groundbreaking legislation” that grants veterans expedited access to healthcare for exposure to toxic chemicals.

The bill is named after Sergeant First Class Heath Robinson who served in Iraq and died in 2020 from exposure to toxins emitted by burn pits during the Iraq War. Trash burning was a common practice during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Military personnel frequently used burn pits to get rid of trash, munition, food waste, human waste, medical waste, petroleum, plastics, and wood.

Despite the clear link between exposure to burn pits and poor health, veterans still struggle to secure healthcare for related issues. In July, the Associated Press reported that the VA denies more than 70 percent of burn pit disability claims due to lack of evidence. The PACT Act would rectify this injustice by forcing the VA to presume that certain illnesses, including nine types of rare respiratory cancers, were caused by burn pit exposure, thus eliminating the burden of proof and streamlining access to live-saving healthcare.

Why is Jon Stewart so mad at Ted Cruz?

Stewart has been a vocal supporter of the PACT Act since 2020 and has a long history of advocating for legislation related to first responders and veterans. He previously championed a bill that granted lifelong compensation and healthcare to 9/11 first responders. It passed the Senate in 2019, 92-2.

The PACT Act seemed destined for a similarly successful, bipartisan victory until Thursday, when 25 Republican senators who previously voted in favor of the bill in June (a technical change the House made to the bill required the Senate to pass it again) changed their minds and voted against it. This sudden change in heart didn’t sit well with Stewart. He smelled something fishy and immediately accused senators like Ted Cruz of playing political games with veterans’ lives. “The bill that Ted Cruz voted yes on had the exact same funding provisions as the bill he voted no on, '' said Stewart on Meet the Press. “It’s the exact same bill. None of this makes any sense.”

Stewart also attacked Cruz on Twitter in a series of posts and videos in which he took issue with Cruz’s sudden interest in how pre-existing veteran support spending (about $400 billions worth) is categorized. Citing an argument first expressed by retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA), Cruz alleges that the PACT Act includes a “gimmick” that would allow Democrats to go on a massive spending spree by recategorizing the already authorized spending as mandatory (as opposed to discretionary). Mandatory spending isn’t subjected to annual congressional appropriations.

Jon Stewart @jonstewart

Message to and from Mister Senator Ted Cruz...Attorney at Law
#PassthePactact

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1553127778169536513

“This is no trick,” Stewart said, in response to a TMZ video of Cruz claiming the Democrats are trying to pull a fast one on the American people. “... It’s always been mandatory spending so that the government can’t just cut off their funding at any point. No trick. No gimmick. It’s been there the whole f****g time.”

What’s Republican opposition to the PACT Act really about?

Cruz claims to oppose the PACT Act because of all the pork that’s stuffed inside it, but given that it’s the same bill he already voted for, very few people believe him. Video footage of Cruz and Sen. Steve Daines (R-MT) celebrating the bill’s defeat with a fist-bump has cast even more doubt on their explanation. Sen. Murphy and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), plus a handful of pundits, have proposed an alternate theory.

MeidasTouch @MeidasTouch

This is the fist bump everyone needs to be talking about.

Ted Cruz and fellow Republicans celebrating after blocking a bill to help toxin-exposed veterans survive.

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1553037966057955328

"What happened in 2 weeks that convinced 30 Republicans who previously thought it was a good idea to help veterans to decide instead to tank a bill that was helping veterans?” asked Sen. Murphy in his Senate floor speech. Well, the most obvious answer is the surprise announcement of the Inflation Reduction Act, a compromise bill proposed by Sen. Joe Manchin that’s been hailed by the press as a major legislative victory for the Democrats. You know who doesn’t like Democrat victories? Republicans. Reacting to the Republicans’ blocking of the PACT Act on the PBS Newshour, David Brooks summed up the potential hideousness of the situation saying, “If the votes changed because Mitch McConnell said, ‘ We need to screw somebody,’ well that would just be appalling.”

Watch:

Despite the bill's recent failure, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer vowed to bring the PACT Act up again for a vote this week before the Senate breaks for its August recess.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a40772443/jon-stewart-ted-cruz-pact-act/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #950 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #951 on: August 02, 2022, 02:26:35 AM »
President Biden continues to keep America safe.

US kills al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in drone strike in Afghanistan

(CNN)- The United States killed al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in a drone strike, President Joe Biden said Monday in a speech from the White House.

"I authorized a precision strike that would remove him from the battlefield, once and for all," Biden said.

Zawahiri, who just turned 71 years old, had remained a visible international symbol of the group, 11 years after the US killed Osama bin Laden. At one point, he acted as bin Laden's personal physician.

Zawahiri was sheltering in downtown Kabul to reunite with his family, Biden said, and was killed in what a senior administration official described as "a precise tailored airstrike" using two Hellfire missiles. The drone strike was conducted at 9:48 p.m. ET on Saturday was authorized by Biden following weeks of meetings with his Cabinet and key advisers, the official said on Monday, adding that no American personnel were on the ground in Kabul at the time of the strike.

Senior Haqqani Taliban figures were aware of Zawahiri's presence in the area, the official said, in "clear violation of the Doha agreement," and even took steps to conceal his presence after Saturday's successful strike, restricting access to the safe house and rapidly relocating members of his family, including his daughter and her children, who were intentionally not targeted during the strike and remained unharmed.

The US did not alert Taliban officials ahead of Saturday's strike.

In a series of tweets, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said, "An air strike was carried out on a residential house in Sherpur area of Kabul city on July 31."

He said, "The nature of the incident was not apparent at first" but the security and intelligence services of the Islamic Emirate investigated the incident and "initial findings determined that the strike was carried out by an American drone."

The tweets by Mujahid came out prior to CNN reporting Zawahiri's death. Mujahid said the Islamic Emirate of
Afghanistan "strongly condemns this attack on any pretext and calls it a clear violation of international principles and the Doha Agreement."

Justice has been delivered'

Biden, who was kept abreast of the strike against Zawahiri as he isolated with a rebound case of Covid-19, spoke outdoors Monday from the Blue Room Balcony at the White House.

Zawahiri, Biden said, "was deeply involved in the planning of 9/11, one of the most responsible for the attacks that murdered 2,977 people on American soil. For decades, he was the mastermind of attacks against Americans."

"Now, justice has been delivered and this terrorist leader is no more. People around the world no longer need to fear the vicious and determined killer," he continued. "The United States continues to demonstrate our resolve and our capacity to defend the American people against those who seek to do us harm. We make it clear again tonight, that no matter how long it takes, no matter where you hide, if you are a threat to our people, the United States will find you and take you out."

The President said the precision strike targeting was the result of the "extraordinary persistence and skill" of the nation's intelligence community.

"Our intelligence community located Zawahiri earlier this year -- he moved to downtown Kabul to reunite with members of his immediate family," Biden said.

The strike comes one year after Biden ordered the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan, prompting Taliban forces to rapidly seize control of the nation.

Biden said on Monday that when he withdrew US troops from the country, he "made the decision that after 20 years of war, the United States no longer needed thousands of boots on the ground in Afghanistan to protect America from terrorists who seek to do us harm, and I made a promise to the American people, that we continue to conduct effective counterterrorism operations in Afghanistan and beyond. We've done just that."

Biden pledged that Zawahiri "will never again allow Afghanistan to become a terrorist safe haven, because he is gone and we're going to make sure that nothing else happens."

The President concluded by expressing gratitude to US intelligence and counterterrorism communities, saying that he hopes Zawahiri's death will bring some measure of closure to the friends and families of 9/11 victims.

"To those who continue to seek to harm the United States, hear me now: We will always remain vigilant and we will act -- and we will always do what is necessary to ensure the safety and security of Americans at home and around the globe," he concluded.

Close ally of bin Laden

Zawahiri comes from a distinguished Egyptian family, according to the New York Times. His grandfather, Rabia'a al-Zawahiri, was an imam at al-Azhar University in Cairo. His great-uncle, Abdel Rahman Azzam, was the first secretary of the Arab League.

He eventually helped to mastermind the deadliest terror attack on American soil, when hijackers turned US airliners into missiles.

"Those 19 brothers who went out and gave their souls to Allah almighty, God almighty has granted them this victory we are enjoying now," al-Zawahiri said in a videotaped message released in April 2002.

It was the first of many taunting messages the terrorist -- who became al Qaeda's leader after US forces killed bin Laden in 2011 -- would send out over the years, urging militants to continue the fight against America and chiding US leaders.

Zawahiri was constantly on the move once the US-led invasion of Afghanistan began after the September 11, 2001, attacks. At one point, he narrowly escaped a US onslaught in the rugged, mountainous Tora Bora region of Afghanistan, an attack that left his wife and children dead.

He made his public debut as a Muslim militant when he was in prison for his involvement in the 1981 assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.

"We want to speak to the whole world. Who are we? Who are we?" he said in a jailhouse interview.

By that time, al-Zawahiri, a young doctor, was already a committed terrorist who conspired to overthrow the Egyptian government for years and sought to replace it with fundamentalist Islamic rule. He proudly endorsed Sadat's assassination after the Egyptian leader made peace with Israel.

He spent three years in prison after Sadat's assassination and claimed he was tortured while in detention. After his release, he made his way to Pakistan, where he treated wounded mujahadeen fighters who fought against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

That was when he met bin Laden and found a common cause.

"We are working with brother bin Laden," he said in announcing the merger of his terror group, Egyptian Islamic Jihad, with al Qaeda in May 1998. "We know him since more than 10 years now. We fought with him here in Afghanistan."
Together, the two terror leaders signed a fatwa, or declaration: "The judgment to kill and fight Americans and their allies, whether civilians or military, is an obligation for every Muslim."

Mastermind of 9/11

The attacks against the US and its facilities began weeks later, with the suicide bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed more than 200 people and wounded more than 5,000 others. Zawahiri and bin Laden gloated after they escaped a US cruise missile attack in Afghanistan that had been launched in retaliation.

Then, there was the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in October 2000, when suicide bombers on a dinghy detonated their boat, killing 17 American sailors and wounding 39 others.

The culmination of Zawahiri's terror plotting came on September 11, 2001, when nearly 3,000 people were killed in the attacks on the twin towers of the World Trade Center and Pentagon. A fourth hijacked airliner, headed for Washington, crashed in a Pennsylvania field after passengers fought back.

Since then, al-Zawahiri raised his public profile, appearing on numerous video and audiotapes to urge Muslims to join the jihad against the United States and its allies. Some of his tapes were followed closely by terrorist attacks.

In May 2003, for instance, almost simultaneous suicide bombings in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, killed 23 people, including nine Americans, days after a tape thought to contain Zawahiri's voice was released.

The US State Department had offered a reward of up to $25 million for information leading directly to his capture. A June 2021 United Nations report suggested he was located somewhere in the border region of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and that he may have been too frail to be featured in propaganda.

11 families group expresses gratitude but calls on Biden to hold Saudis accountable

Terry Strada, the chair of 9/11 Families United -- a coalition of survivors and families of victims of the September, 11, 2001, terrorist attacks -- expressed gratitude for the strike, but called on the President to hold the Saudi Arabian government accountable for alleged government complicity in the attacks.

The group has criticized the Saudi-backed LIV Golf tour, which began its third competition at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster at the end of July -- some 50 miles from Ground Zero in Manhattan.

"I am deeply grateful for the commitment of intelligence agencies and our brave military's dedication and sacrifices made in removing such evil from our lives. But, in order to achieve full accountability for the murder of thousands on Sept. 11, 2001, President Biden must also hold responsible the Saudi paymasters who bankrolled the Attacks," Strada said in a statement.

"The financiers are not being targeted by drones, they are being met with fist pumps and hosted at golf clubs. If we're going to be serious about accountability, we must hold EVERYONE accountable," Strada added -- appearing to reference the President's controversial gesture with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/joe-biden-counter-terrorism/index.html