Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 100260 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1248 on: April 03, 2023, 11:36:59 PM »
Advertisement
Telework is finally reaching rural America thanks to Biden’s investments in broadband

The COVID-19 pandemic changed the way many of us work, but these changes haven’t reached everyone. Across much of the country, Zoom meetings from the living room have replaced morning meetings in the office and emails are now more common than conversations by the water cooler.

Due to the limitations of our nation’s internet infrastructure, however, millions of rural Americans like myself are unable to experience the benefits of telework.

President Joe Biden has set out to eliminate this divide in internet access through his Internet for All initiative, which has dedicated over $65 billion to provide every American household with access to affordable, reliable internet by the end of the decade. After years of going without home WiFi in this work-from-home era, this will be an absolute game changer for communities like mine.

I live with my husband in rural Worth Township Pennsylvania.

We don’t live on a dirt road, but we’re not far removed from them. While we do have a few options for home internet service out here, the only providers are either prohibitively expensive, unreliable, or at maximum capacity for our service area. As a result, my husband and I have gone several years without any WiFi service. Our best option is to pay for spotty 5g service for our cell phones and an unreliable hotspot for our laptops.

Our home internet situation was a particular struggle in the early days of the pandemic. Like millions of Americans, I temporarily found myself out of work after COVID-19 lockdowns began.

To make ends meet, I needed to apply for unemployment benefits, but it was a nightmare without reliable WiFi. In normal times, it might have seemed like common sense to go to a nearby library or coffee shop to access Wi-Fi, but the spread of COVID restricted access to some of these public spaces and raised questions about whether that trip would be worth the risk of contracting the virus.

Eventually, I was able to go back to work – work which could be done largely from home if I had access to home internet. But because I don’t, I have no choice but to drive 30 miles to and from work each day and spend about $50 a week on gas.

The Biden administration’s funding for broadband internet infrastructure is primarily dedicated to achieving two goals: bringing broadband internet to communities that don’t currently have access, and reducing costs for all internet users.

Both of these goals, once achieved, will significantly improve my quality of life and the quality of life for many of my neighbors here in western Pennsylvania. It will make telework a feasible option for households like mine.

It’s refreshing to finally see our leaders treat this issue as a priority. Just as President Roosevelt’s administration helped bring electricity to rural areas, the Biden administration is now expanding internet service to rural Americans.

The economic impacts for rural communities will be significant; broadband access is linked to increases in community business formation and property values, as well as decreases in the local unemployment rate. 

Yet, having dealt with local internet service providers extensively, I’ll admit that I am skeptical about their commitment to anything but their bottom line, which is why it’s critical that we hold these companies accountable to being transparent and to spending federal funding as directed – particularly during the expansion of broadband to areas that service providers have previously written off as not worthy of investments.

The scope of the Biden administration’s Internet for All initiative has the power to positively transform our country and make the internet more accessible and equitable for all Americans. Over 16 million American households are already saving money as a result of the administration’s Affordable Connectivity Program.

Now, as funding for broadband expansion is distributed, we need to make sure that service providers use it to reach rural Americans.

Because once rural areas have equal access to broadband, it will create a sense of economic hope in rural communities like mine and empower rural workers to access the jobs that will help our local economies thrive in the coming decades.

Rachael Grinnell lives with her husband in Worth Township, Pennsylvania.

https://www.penncapital-star.com/commentary/telework-is-finally-reaching-rural-america-thanks-to-bidens-investments-in-broadband-opinion/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1248 on: April 03, 2023, 11:36:59 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #1249 on: April 03, 2023, 11:38:01 PM »
Good to see that John Fetterman has, at last, been released from the mental asylum.  He was there longer than he has served in the Senate.   Everyone wishes him well in his recovery but he is in no mental or physical condition to serve in that capacity.  He wouldn't be hired at the local gas station.  His family should have intervened to allow him to recover instead of forcing him to run for office. 

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1250 on: April 04, 2023, 12:20:55 AM »
When President Biden says invest in America, he means it!

Investing in hard working Americans is what this country is all about.

Biden is building a future where you won’t have to leave your hometown to find a good job you can raise a family on.

Before, too many people have had to uproot their families and relocate in order to find a good paying job. That is if they could even find one.

But now thanks to President Biden's investment in America, people will no longer have to leave their state with Biden's manufacturing boom.   

American jobs and innovation.

Pride in our country.

Dignity for workers and their families.

That's the American way!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1250 on: April 04, 2023, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1251 on: April 05, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »
Good news for seniors thanks to Democrats and President Joe Biden!!

Let me remind you that Republicans voted against the Inflation Reduction Act.

Republicans voted against lowering prescription drug costs for seniors.

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1252 on: April 05, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »
Democrats win a huge Supreme Court seat in Wisconsin as MAGA Dan Kelly easily goes down to defeat!

Wisconsinites have once again rejected right wing MAGA fascism and this victory proves the majority of Americans support President Biden's policies. 

Janet Protasiewicz wins Wisconsin Supreme Court election, NBC News projects, giving liberals control of the high court for the first time in 15 years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/wisconsin-supreme-court-election-liberals-win-majority-rcna77190

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1252 on: April 05, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1253 on: April 06, 2023, 09:47:46 AM »
The White House @WhiteHouse

As a result of President Biden’s Investing in America agenda, Wolfspeed is making the largest manufacturing investment in North Carolina history – creating 1,800 good-paying jobs while expanding semiconductor production.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1643616479244369920

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1254 on: April 06, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »
Move by Tennessee Republicans to oust 3 Dem lawmakers startles state
House GOP leadership is trying to kick out a trio of Democrats for participating in gun reform protest.

There’s the Oregon lawmaker expelled for his involvement in an armed incursion into the state capitol. The Idaho House member kicked out following a federal fraud conviction. And the Arizona representative removed over multiple accusations of sexual harassment.

It’s rare but not unheard of for state legislators to oust their own colleagues, typically in cases where individuals are found guilty of crimes or accused of severe ethical lapses.

But what’s unfolding in the Tennessee State Capitol, where Republican leaders want to expel three Democrats over participation in a protest demanding new gun-safety laws, is extraordinary for its political brazenness and scope.

“It will echo across the country. I think it will have a chilling effect on all states where there’s supermajorities or very red states,” Rep. Gloria Johnson, one of the Democrats under threat of expulsion, said in a phone interview Tuesday. “This is chipping away at our democracy, there’s no question, because everybody’s going to wonder, ‘am I next?’”

The ACLU in Tennessee also issued a warning the effort “undermines Democracy.”

“Expulsion is an extreme measure that is used very infrequently in our state and our country because it strips voters of representation by the people they elected,” Kathy Sinback, the executive director of the ACLU in Tennessee, said in a statement.

State legislatures often go decades without taking such an action against members.

The dustup began last week, when hundreds of protestors gathered at the capitol in Nashville to urge lawmakers to pass gun safety measures in the aftermath of a shooting at a local school that left three adults and three children dead.

Amid the protests that leaked into the building, Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones and Justin Pearson led chants on the House floor in which they called on their colleagues to pass new gun laws. The lawmakers were aided by a bullhorn.

Their stunt enraged Republicans, who promptly introduced resolutions calling for their removal, sparking further chaos on the House floor.

Now, Republican leaders — who likened those actions to an “insurrection” — will vote Thursday on whether the members should be allowed to continue serving in the House or be removed from office. The Democrats have already been stripped of their committee assignments.

Resolutions filed against the three declared that they had participated in “disorderly behavior” and “did knowingly and intentionally bring disorder and dishonor to the House of Representatives.”

Critics of the move to evict the members argued that Republicans have failed in the past to remove their members of their own party who acted egregiously, such as a former representative who was accused of sexually assaulting teenagers when he was a basketball coach.

“It’s morally insane that a week after a mass shooting took six lives in our community, House Republicans only response is to expel us for standing with our constituents to call for gun control,” Jones tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “What’s happening in Tennessee is a clear danger to democracy all across this nation.”

Johnson, a former teacher who survived a school shooting that left one student dead, said she plans to bring an attorney to Thursday’s vote and “defend herself.”

"I’m happy to show up and make my case heard, because I will always lift up the voices of the people in my district who want to see gun sense legislation,” Johnson said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/04/tennessee-gop-oust-dem-lawmakers-00090456

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1254 on: April 06, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1255 on: April 06, 2023, 10:22:37 AM »
Right wing loon Ali Alexander admitted to his followers on Twitter that Republicans have no path to win the Electoral College in 2024 after the GOP lost the Wisconsin Supreme Court election on Tuesday night. This is the first time that I agree with him. Alexander is also admitting that Republicans were going to use the Wisconsin Supreme Court to overturn Biden's victory. Why else would he make this statement? Republicans are dejected, demoralized, and in disarray after their massive defeat in Wisconsin.