Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 3D Modeling  (Read 27142 times)

Online James Hackerott

Re: 3D Modeling
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2022, 03:20:38 AM »
Advertisement

I've been adding in some hedges and shrubbery to my 3D model. The road stripes are close to their placement on the Culter Plat and comparing them to Z-frames. My work is hobbyist. Professional 3D teams tend to work on the "big" issues, like the Backyard Photos, SBT and head shot, but smaller items like the foliage-blocking and autopsy photo orientation are also important.

Frame showing lamp post

The clearer Z193 frame

The blurred Z195 frame
Beautiful work Jerry, especially the tree detail. Are the trees generated with fractals? Thanks for sharing.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2022, 03:20:38 AM »

Online Jerry Organ

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »
Beautiful work Jerry, especially the tree detail. Are the trees generated with fractals? Thanks for sharing.

The trees are a single component that was free online. I don't recall if it was an oak tree. I did some scaling to approximate the trees in DP. Some rotation for variation. Can't literally recreate the individual trees and bushes in DP as they were that day. It's more for cosmetics.

The "leaves" are a 2D photo texture that portray a few leaves separated by transparency. The texture needs a flat surface to be "painted" on, which are the squares seen in the monochrome "zoom view".

I had to modify the generic tree to simulate the branch blocking the view between the sniper's nest and roadway. Maybe a professional 3D team could take 1963-era photos of that tree and create an accurate model of the whole tree or the parts that block the view. But that's a lot of work and there has to be an interest on their part in the foliage-blocking issue.

Online Jerry Organ

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »

Looks great Jerry! I agree, the details are important. They help make a valuable tool even more useful and accurate. All the hard work required to create it becomes so worthwhile when it helps with our understanding of the assassination.

There's more accuracy coming when the 3D professionals create a model using cloud-points. My model is just comparing the features in the model with photos and maps. I have a few aerial photos and a greatly-enlarged copy of the Myers map.

I find the color of the shrubbery odd. Along the walkway between the pergola and the corner of Elm/Houston, it seems purplish (inset pictures, lower-right). In the Zapruder film, the shrubbery in the background is orange-like. It could be two different plants or just the lighting.

For those unfamiliar with SketchUp, a "component" is an object that's imported as a "component", or made from scratch and grouped together as a "component" by yourself in SketchUp. The "component" sits in SketchUp's Component Tray. From the tray, you drag a component and situate it on your model. When you duplicate the component, you're not doubling the file size it needs (it gets that information from the "component" you made or imported). So making, say, one-hundred windows from a component doesn't increase your model's file size.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2022, 04:12:48 PM »
There's more accuracy coming when the 3D professionals create a model using cloud-points. My model is just comparing the features in the model with photos and maps. I have a few aerial photos and a greatly-enlarged copy of the Myers map.

I find the color of the shrubbery odd. Along the walkway between the pergola and the corner of Elm/Houston, it seems purplish (inset pictures, lower-right). In the Zapruder film, the shrubbery in the background is orange-like. It could be two different plants or just the lighting.

For those unfamiliar with SketchUp, a "component" is an object that's imported as a "component", or made from scratch and grouped together as a "component" by yourself in SketchUp. The "component" sits in SketchUp's Component Tray. From the tray, you drag a component and situate it on your model. When you duplicate the component, you're not doubling the file size it needs (it gets that information from the "component" you made or imported). So making, say, one-hundred windows from a component doesn't increase your model's file size.

I use a free program that is less sophisticated than SketchUp. But there are some similarities. Importing objects is something that I can do also. I learned how to use the program while creating the model. It has functioned as a decent tool for my purposes so far. But to make it look better, I probably should start over with SketchUp. The learning curve to become proficient with SketchUp is a major challenge for me due to too many other projects. But your work does inspire me to want to eventually go that route. Thanks for sharing!

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2022, 10:56:11 PM »

I've been adding in some hedges and shrubbery to my 3D model. The road stripes are close to their placement on the Culter Plat and comparing them to Z-frames. My work is hobbyist. Professional 3D teams tend to work on the "big" issues, like the Backyard Photos, SBT and head shot, but smaller items like the foliage-blocking and autopsy photo orientation are also important.

Frame showing lamp post

The clearer Z193 frame

The blurred Z195 frame

This 3D model is coming along nicely, the ability to alter the perspective so as to recreate situations and various eyewitness POV, is invaluable. Thumb1:

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2022, 10:56:11 PM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2022, 01:14:25 AM »
The trees are a single component that was free online. I don't recall if it was an oak tree. I did some scaling to approximate the trees in DP. Some rotation for variation. Can't literally recreate the individual trees and bushes in DP as they were that day. It's more for cosmetics.

The "leaves" are a 2D photo texture that portray a few leaves separated by transparency. The texture needs a flat surface to be "painted" on, which are the squares seen in the monochrome "zoom view".

I had to modify the generic tree to simulate the branch blocking the view between the sniper's nest and roadway. Maybe a professional 3D team could take 1963-era photos of that tree and create an accurate model of the whole tree or the parts that block the view. But that's a lot of work and there has to be an interest on their part in the foliage-blocking issue.
Thanks for the details. That software is amazing, especially compared to the archaic text based modeling I’ve used since the last millennium. Someone, long ago, wrote a routine for fractal trees, but I could never get it to work very well for my Dealey Plaza model. Thus, my lollipop trees. I updated my Oak Tree using overlaying ellipsoids with a checker pattern using transparency. I compared your SN view to the Secret Service’s film, and am quite impressed with your tree. It probably takes a modeler to appreciate the amount of work that goes into even simple looking objects. I like the graphical design concept (like SketchUp) but this old dog gets too much enjoyment creating objects line by line.  I hope to see more of your plaza modeling. I have a lot of pictures and video (with time and date) and if you (or anyone else) would like a particular view please ask.

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2022, 03:38:19 AM »

A photo I took two years ago shows both the pergola walkway and peristyle shrubs with purple color. Bronson's film of November 23 shows purple also, although the film seems to have some colorcast that possibly shifted the color to purple.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2022, 03:38:19 AM »

Online Jerry Organ

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »

I found a 3D outer-flesh model and a 3D "High-Poly" skeleton model and merged them. The "Medium-Poly" and "Low-Poly" skeleton models changed the shape of some of the bones, so I used the best-quality model. This meant a large file size, so I removed some unnecessary bones. This does not affect where the bones in the upper body appear in the model.

I'm showing how many facets are involved in the "High-Poly" skeleton model and the articulation "handles" I added. Using the "handles", each articulation point can be rotated (to a reasonable degree; some joints don't rotate much) but the articulation points themselves remain attached to the articulation point of any neighboring bone it was originally attached to. For example, one can rotate the skull but it can't be detached from the C1 (or "Atlas") vertebrae. This preserves the integrity of the skeleton.

The scapula bone is very flexible and attached to the back by large muscles. The scapula has a connection to the outer tip of the clavicle. When the inner tip of the clavicle is rotated upward, the outer tip of the clavicle rises which in turn causes the scapula (and arm bones) to rise up. I think we see in the autopsy photos that the outer shoulders of Kennedy have risen up due to rigor mortis. The raised shoulder line is fairly flat in the photo, compared to life where the shoulder line tapers down from the neck.

On my model, the distance between the neck crease and the entry wound on the skin is 2 1/8" (or 5.5 cm as reported by the Clark Panel). By raising the scapula up, we end up with a similar distance from the scapular spine to the entry wound. Those two distances being similar is what is shown in the autopsy photo of the back wound. A resting scapula would not appear as high as that seen in the autopsy photo.

I notice that young Kennedy's right clavicle protrudes from the body more so than the left. I think I see something similar in the autopsy photo, which helps to authenticate the photo.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:25:28 PM by Jerry Organ »