Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 3D Modeling  (Read 27164 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: 3D Modeling
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »
Advertisement

Was trying to come up with a motorcycle model for the Harleys in the motorcade. The cycles in the insets above have a fuel tank emblem unique to 1961 and 1962 Duo-Glide models.

The insignia on the "bubble bags ("saddlebags") may be a clue as to whether they are 1961 or 1962. However, I have seen "Arrowhead" and "Rocket" decals (like on the DPD cycles) in models from the late-50s to the mid-60s. I have seen the "Arrowhead" in ads for the 1961 Duo-Glide.

The 1962 model saw the introduction of the "tombstone" speedometer.

Left: 1961; right: 1962. Note: the Day-Glo Green number color was an unusual option.

Side note: Harley-Davidson did a lot of work with their "Police Special" accessories. They seem to have outfitted entire fleets, probably at a group rate. One option was the police speedometer. This was before police radar, so a policeman on a motorcycle would follow behind a speeding motorist and when he got to the same rate of speed, he could press a button that would lock the needle on his speedometer. He could then show this to the motorist and use it as proof in court.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »

Hubcaps on the limousine in 1963 were the large "sombrero"-style hubcaps from the 1957 Lincoln Premiere. Stock Continental hubcaps wouldn't fit the bigger tires used because of the limousine's weight.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:02:40 PM by Jerry Organ »

Online Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2023, 11:32:52 PM »

Hubcaps on the limousine in 1963 were the large "sombrero"-style hubcaps from the 1957 Lincoln Premiere. Stock Continental hubcaps wouldn't fit the bigger tires used because of the limousine's weight.

Thanks for providing this comparison.  The question is: which one should we use?

In comparing the three cars, it appears the Hum3D model has a longer wheel base than both yours and the Ford Licensed.  There are major differences in door locations and compartment widths between the three models.

One thing that is odd, is the width of the glass and the middle space as shown in the Ford model.  I note that there appears to have been an earlier version of the side window and roof support as seen here:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2023, 11:32:52 PM »

Online Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2023, 12:32:30 AM »
Following up on my last post, it looks like the HUM3D model is accurate when comparing it to a side view of the limo when built at Hess Eisenhardt:

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2023, 04:54:30 AM »

Until a few weeks ago, I had the door seams located a few inches toward the back. I moved them forward to match the full-length photo of the limousine in use. Maybe the outdoors limousine photo was retouched. Or maybe a pincushion effect is in the photo that's not in SketchUp. Strange. The wheelbase amount shown is how it appears right in the model.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2023, 04:54:30 AM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2023, 06:53:23 AM »

Nice work Jerry, it's interesting that LNers understand geometry and perspective and think in 3D and then use this knowledge to solve problems whereas CT's just guess and embarrass themselves.

JohnM

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »

I checked out the Hum3D model and it seems pretty good in most areas.

The overall length of the limousine from the WC/HSCA was at-or-near 255" (42.6" longer than a stock 1961 Continental). On this model, it's 248" (35.6" longer than a stock 1961 Continental). The light projections on the front bumper would add another 2 1/2" to the model's length (making it 250.5"). But we don't know what two points on the car were measured in 1963/64 or if the official figure was measured on an horizontal.

There's a researcher named Roy L. Schaeffer who claims the limousine is 248" long. I think the foremost point of the front bumper and the rearmost point on the rear bumper are obvious places to measure between (as I have done with the model).

The wheel rims are supposed to be 15" wide but the model shows 17" (the Hess & Eisenhardt profile photo supports the smaller rim diameter; maybe the rim in the model was one used after the "Quick Fix" alterations and is currently on the limousine on display at the Henry Ford). The rubber tire reportedly was 27", so 26.5" on the model is very good.

The rear door on the model measures about 40" long on the outside. The door seam tapers at the rear top of the door, so the door length reduces to 38" for the inside. The glass opening in the partition on the model being 9 1/2" wide seems correct. The curvature of the parade bar feels off; the bar doesn't exist in the limousine on display as the car was given a permanent roof. If the limousine on display was scanned, they would have to approximate from photos the parade bar.

The door handles and the chrome script reading "Continental" were reported eight inches long each. I have added onto the rear deck some figures from the WH/HSCA diagram.

Most impressive is the approximately 78.6" limousine width, the published width for a stock 1961 Continental. We don't know what two points were used to obtained the width (door handles and the projections along the wheel wheels are a bit outside the car's "slab sides". On this model, there's a very close correlation of the official car width with the width on the model between the "slab sides".

I would feel more confident about this model if the overall length issue (255" vs. 248") was resolved.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2023, 11:04:49 PM »
 Thumb1: Good work Jerry. Thanks for sharing!