Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 3D Modeling - Tom Alyea’s Sniper’s Nest  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Bill Chapman

Re: 3D Modeling - Tom Alyea’s Sniper’s Nest
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 06:52:54 PM »
Advertisement
I've been using an 18" opening for awhile now. And I think the window may have to go higher still. Maybe 1/2" or more, based on the Dillard photo and others.

I prefer to not give out measurements I've estimated anymore. Each modeler has to made their own subjective estimates.

Box A Box B (the carton nearest the ruler) rests on the 3/4" wooden molding used for weatherstrip.

I can't help with the shadows because SketchUp's shadow function doesn't go back to 1963. I use another moment in time claimed to mimic the sun movement in Dealey Plaza on the day of the assassination.

Jerry, I think your window is a little low.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 11:58:45 PM »
Jerry, I think your window is a little low.

19" works better on my model than 18". I can't say how the measurement would on other people's models; they have to figure it out for themselves.

I can't get a perfect photo-match, so I'm bad at matching and/or the 3D construction is off. Some of the window frame don't quite match. The 3D cartons sort-of line up with the Dillard photo; will have to nudge their placement or try a new photo-match.

For now, it's pretty close to working and doesn't interfere with any trajectory lines projected from the SN.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »

19" works better on my model than 18". I can't say how the measurement would on other people's models; they have to figure it out for themselves.

I can't get a perfect photo-match, so I'm bad at matching and/or the 3D construction is off. Some of the window frame don't quite match. The 3D cartons sort-of line up with the Dillard photo; will have to nudge their placement or try a new photo-match.

For now, it's pretty close to working and doesn't interfere with any trajectory lines projected from the SN.

It is possible to see the top of the open section through the upper section glass and above the horizontal wooden divider in the Dillard photo. Based on that and a similar but better depiction of that in the Alyea image (from the inside), the 19” looks better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:50:11 PM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »