Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation  (Read 71958 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »
Advertisement
Jan. 6 committee wants to speak to Jim Jordan about his conversations with Trump

The House Select Committee on the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has called Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) to appear and answer questions before them. Jordan was almost appointed to the committee by Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

“We understand that you had at least one and possibly multiple communications with President Trump on January 6th," the letter explains. "We would like to discuss each such communication with you in detail. And we also wish to inquire about any communications you had on January 5th or 6th with those in the Willard War Room, the Trump legal team, White House personnel or others involved in organizing or planning the actions and strategies for January 6th."

Jordan was asked twice by reporters if he had spoken to Trump on Jan. 6. Each time he stumbled over his words, seemingly confused, saying that he talks to the president frequently but wouldn't clarify any specifics.

The Committee explains that because the scope of their investigation involves Jan. 6 and what lead to Jan. 6, it wrote to Jordan "we would also like to ask you about any discussions involving the possibility of presidential pardons for individuals involved in any aspect of January 6th or the planning for January 6th. When you were asked during a Rules Committee hearing on October 20, 2021, whether you would be willing to share with the Select Committee the information you have regarding January 6th and events leading up to the day, you responded, 'I've said all along, 'I have nothing to hide.' I've been straightforward all along."

Read the full letter below:

Capitol riot committee is playing 'hardball' with Jim Jordan -- and he's 'earned' it: CNN's Elie Honig

On Wednesday's edition of CNN's "The Situation Room," former federal prosecutor Elie Honig broke down the significance of the House Select Committee's decision to seek information from Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) on his involvement in former President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

"It may be wishful thinking that Congressman Jordan will voluntarily cooperate with the committee, but he is a critical figure in this investigation, isn't he?" asked anchor Wolf Blitzer.

"He is," said Honig. "The committee has made clear they're playing hardball, that they're going to pursue the truth no matter who may hold the truth, up to and including their own colleagues in Congress. Jim Jordan is not being picked on here just for fun. He has absolutely earned this request for information which could soon become a subpoena, because we know for a fact that Jim Jordan spoke with Donald Trump on January 6th."

"Jim Jordan has now admitted that, sort of reluctantly, in a way, he's not super proud of what he talked about with Donald Trump on January 6th," added Honig. "So there is a real reason and purpose behind this subpoena. Jim Jordan has said he has nothing to hide, and soon we'll see if he can back up that talk."

Watch below:

Jim Jordan has repeatedly 'tripped over' his story about communications with Trump: CNN's Bolduan

On Wednesday's edition of CNN's "OutFront," anchor Kate Bolduan and former Nixon White House Counsel John Dean discussed the new push by the House Select Committee investigating the January 6 Capitol attack to get information from Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH).

"One key question with Jordan, really ever since January 6th, has been what were his communications with Donald Trump on January 6th?" said Bolduan. "Because the question has become all the more interesting as Jordan himself has tripped over answering it multiple times. Let me play this for you."

"I have talked to the president so many — I can't remember all the days I have talked to him but I certainly talked to the president. I spoke with him that day after? I think after? I don't know if I spoke with him in the morning or not. I — I just don't know," said Jordan in the first clip.

"Of course I talked to the president. I talked to him that day. I have been clear about that. I don't recall the number of times," said Jordan in the second clip.

"John, what do you do with that?" asked Bolduan.

"Well, that's not the normal Jordan answer," said Dean. "He is pretty crisp and pretty clear on most of his answers. His mind is probably trying to calculate, well, what kind of exposure do I have at this stage in answering that question? And I think he does have exposure because of the texts he forwarded the day before. I'll tell you, if they ever start pursuing conspiracy charges, he walked right into a conspiracy to obstruct Congress. To — was it a seditious conspiracy? May — may well have been. So I think he knows he has exposure, and if he ever is in front of that committee, he will probably have to take the [Fifth Amendment]. That's probably another reason he doesn't want to go."

Watch below:

Jim Jordan ‘has priors’: Dem draws parallel between Capitol riot probe and Ohio State abuse scandal

Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan suggested Wednesday night that he will refuse to cooperate with the House committee investigating the Capitol insurrection — saying he has "real concerns" about the panel.

A short time later, California Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell appeared on MSNBC to discuss Jordan's response to the committee's request for him to testify.

"I'm not a Harvard lawyer, but the way that he has talked about his involvement certainly makes him relevant, and the way that he is now moonwalking away from the responsibility to testify, to me, makes him probably complicit," Swalwell said, calling the insurrection "an incident of workplace violence."

"At any workplace if this happened, and you were in contact with somebody who was responsible for the workplace violence, if you didn't do anything wrong, if you had nothing to do with it, you would raise your hand and say, 'Let me help to make our workplace safer,'" Swalwell said. "And the fact that he does not want to cooperate just puts him in the category of people who had some role or some knowledge of what Donald Trump wanted to do."

"And oh, by the way, this guy probably has priors, because it's not the first time he's been accused of witnessing a crime and then not wanting to report it or help investigators," Swalwell added, referring to Jordan's role in a s*x-abuse scandal at Ohio State University, where he served as an assistant wrestling coach.

MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell responded to Swalwell by noting that former members of the Ohio State wrestling team "have said under oath that he (Jordan) knew that players on that team were being sexually abused by a physician, and he did absolutely nothing about it."

Watch Swalwell's full interview below:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2021, 07:28:25 AM »
Violent MAGA rioters are getting pandemic relief loans forgiven despite their crimes

The Small Business Administration has been forgiving pandemic relief loans issued to insurrectionists who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6.

The loans were issued under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), which was part of the $2 trillion CARES Act signed by former president Donald Trump in March 2020. The PPP program was designed to cover payroll for small businesses, which could apply to have the loans forgiven if they could show that the money was used for intended purposes.

"Amazingly, some of the people who received the money responded, less than a year later, by attempting to kill the very legislators who put the program in place—the ones who kept their businesses afloat and employees able to survive," the Daily Dot reported Wednesday. "But the government is forgiving them anyway. In a review of PPP data obtained from ProPublica, the Daily Dot discovered many well-known Capitol insurrectionists have had their loans forgiven, some being absolved of nearly a million dollars in funds."

Dominic Pezzola, a member of the Proud Boys, had a $12,502 loan for his home-contracting business forgiven in June despite that fact that he remains incarcerated, having been denied bail.

Russell Taylor, a member of the Three Percenters, received two loans totaling more than $1 million for his graphic design company. One of the loans was issued after the insurrection, and both have been forgiven.

George Pierre Tanios allegedly assaulted officer Brian Sicknick, who died from stroke a day after the insurrection. One day after Sicknick's death, on Jan. 8, Tanios had a $52,110 loan for his West Virginia sandwich shop forgiven.

"Other high-profile insurrectionists at the Capitol that day also received loan forgiveness," the Daily Dot reported. "That includes Dr. Simone Gold, who spreads misinformation about COVID-19 and received $20,833, and Trump booster Brandon Straka, who received two loans totaling $33,154."

According to the SBA, people who are incarcerated or under indictment for felonies are barred from applying for PPP loans. However, there is no such restriction when it comes to seeking forgiveness for the loans.

Read the full story:

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/capitol-rioters-ppp-loans-forgiven/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
Good. This scumbag belongs in prison!

Michael Flynn's lawsuit against the January 6th committee tossed by judge one day after being filed

It did not take long for a judge to toss out former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn's lawsuit against the House Select Committee investigating the January 6th riots at the United States Capitol building.

NBC News reports that a federal judge in Florida refused to grant Flynn a temporary restraining order that would have blocked the committee from accessing his communications records in the weeks leading up to the Capitol riots.

Flynn had asked the judge to block the committee from obtaining his records on Tuesday, which means it took the court just one day to throw out his complaint.

"U.S. District Court Judge Mary Scriven in Tampa said Flynn’s motion... failed for two reasons, including a lack of urgency," writes NBC News' Pete Williams. "The judge noted that the committee postponed Flynn’s deposition to 'a date to be determined.' And while the committee's subpoena said he should produce the documents it requested by Nov. 23, 'there is no evidence in the record as to the date by which the select committee now expects Flynn to comply with its document requests.'"

Because of this, the judge concluded that there is no proof that Flynn "will face immediate and irreparable harm" that would have justified a restraining order against the committee.

Flynn was also supposed to have appeared before the committee to testify this week.

Read More:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/judge-denies-michael-flynn-s-request-restraining-order-against-jan-n1286507?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Proud Boy pleads guilty to conspiracy charge in January 6th case that has major implications for other rioters

A member of the Proud Boys who took part in the January 6th Capitol riots has pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge in a case that has major implications for other Capitol rioters.

As reported by NBC 4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane, 34-year-old Proud Boy Matthew Greene of Syracuse, New York pleaded guilty both to conspiracy and obstructing an official congressional proceeding.

"Prosecutors accused Greene of 'advertising' that he was a 'first degree Proud Boy' on social media," reports MacFarlane. "And he allegedly sent encrypted message on Jan 6 saying 'We took the Capitol.'"

MacFarlane also reports that Greene has accepted a plea deal in which he will spend between 41 months and 51 months in prison.

The conspiracy charge is particularly noteworthy because it could implicate any fellow Proud Boys and other assorted rioters who took part in conspiring with Greene to commit violence at the Capitol.

Politico's Kyle Cheney reports that Greene's plea deal includes a deal to cooperate with other government prosecutions, which means that Greene likely has information that can implicate others in the conspiracy.

Read More:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1473736086493048839

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1473736024362823681

Proud Boy who allegedly vowed to 'kill them all' at MAGA riot set to plead guilty

On Thursday NBC4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane, the key correspondent covering the January 6 Capitol insurrection trials, reported that Matthew Greene, a Proud Boy from New York City, is set to plead guilty to his role in the attack.

@MacFarlaneNews "BIG, BIG HEARING at 2pm today in DC federal court

Accused Proud Boys Jan 6 conspirator Matthew Greene of Syracuse is scheduled to plead guilty.  This could be a breakthrough in a large & particularly high level US Capitol riot case

Standby"

Greene, a high-profile defendant, was accused of "conspiracy involving terrorism," as well as illegal gun charges after an FBI raid on his home uncovered his stockpile. He allegedly shared guerrilla tactics with co-conspirators on the encrypted messaging app Telegram and planned for killing any politicians they could capture, and witnesses of the attack at the Capitol described hearing him proclaim "we'll kill them all."

The Proud Boys are a self-described "Western Chauvinist" group, with ties to white supremacists. They are infamous for violent street fights, and were heavily implicated at the Capitol attack.

https://www.rawstory.com/proud-boys-2656091836/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:42:00 AM by Rick Plant »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2021, 07:59:51 AM »
New report says 'evidence is mounting' for a disturbing reason the National Guard failed to act on Jan. 6

Almost a year after that the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol Building, the events of that day continue to inspire a great deal of analysis and discussion — including the fact that the National Guard didn’t get to the Capitol sooner when it was under attack. Writers Ryan Goodman and Justin Hendrix, in an article published by Just Security this week, argue that the National Guard was “restrained” by the Pentagon because of fears that then-President Donald Trump would “invoke the Insurrection Act.”

“One of the most vexing questions about January 6 is why the National Guard took more than three hours to arrive at the Capitol after D.C. authorities and Capitol Police called for immediate assistance,” Goodman and Hendrix explain. “The Pentagon’s restraint in allowing the Guard to get to the Capitol was not simply a reflection of officials’ misgivings about the deployment of military force during the summer 2020 protests; nor was it simply a concern about ‘optics’ of having military personnel at the Capitol. Instead, evidence is mounting that the most senior defense officials did not want to send troops to the Capitol because they harbored concerns that President Donald Trump might utilize the forces’ presence in an attempt to hold onto power.”

Christopher Miller, who was serving as acting secretary of defense on January 6, told the U.S. Defense Department Inspector General’s office he feared that “if we put U.S. military personnel on the Capitol, I would have created the greatest constitutional crisis probably since the Civil War.”

Miller, Goodman and Hendrix note, “does not specify who held the fears that Trump would invoke the Insurrection Act.”

They also point out that Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “confided in one another that they had a persistent worry Trump would try to use the military in an attempt to hold onto power if he lost the election, the Washington Post’s Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker reported.”

Goodman and Hendrix write, “The top officials’ fears were warranted: Donald Trump, his close aides and a segment of Republican political figures had openly discussed the possibility of invoking the Insurrection Act or using the military to prevent the transfer of power on the basis of false claims that the election was ‘stolen.’ But the Pentagon’s actions with respect to the National Guard suggest a scenario in which, on the basis of such concerns, a potentially profound crisis of command may have played out on January 6.”

In other words, their report suggests that the National Guard may have failed to adequately protect Congress because top military officials feared Trump could turn around and use the troops to undermine the Constitution itself. Presumably, the Jan. 6 committee is examining this and other lines of inquiry in their largely behind-the-scenes investigation.

https://www.rawstory.com/national-guard-capitol-riot/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
The Obscure Charge Jan. 6 Investigators Are Looking at for Trump

Prosecutors have hit 240 insurrectionists with the rare charge of obstructing an official congressional proceeding. The Jan. 6 Committee might be looking at that charge for Trump.

As federal prosecutors increasingly use an obscure criminal charge to jail Jan. 6 insurrectionists, congressional investigators seem to be building a case that could result in that same charge against former President Donald Trump.

A third of the 700 people arrested by the Justice Department for attacking the U.S. Capitol building have been hit with a peculiar federal “witness tampering” law, according to researchers at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism. Those 240 insurrectionists have been charged with corruptly obstructing an official proceeding, a never-before-seen tactic by prosecutors for an equally unprecedented event.

So far, 12 have pleaded guilty, and three of those have already been sentenced. But if hundreds of people face prison time for interrupting Congress while it was certifying the 2020 election results, what happens to the president who ordered them to march there?

While the DOJ pursues the rioters, the special House Jan. 6 Committee is separately collecting evidence to formulate a picture about how this all came together. And legal scholars say a strategy is taking shape—one that builds a case to criminally charge the former president.

“The DOJ and the committee are building a pyramid of guilt to get to the top. The more people who plead guilty, the more the top of the pyramid begins to take shape,” said Joshua E. Kastenberg, a professor at University of New Mexico’s law school.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), one of the two GOP members on the congressional panel investigating the insurrection, first drew attention to that possibility during a televised hearing last week. That’s when she made an obscure reference to “another key question before this committee: Did Donald Trump, through action or inaction, corruptly seek to obstruct or impede Congress’ official proceeding to count electoral votes?”

On Monday, The New York Times pushed that idea further when it revealed that the House committee investigating the insurrection is considering referring Trump to the Justice Department.

A source close to the committee told The Daily Beast that Cheney is an experienced attorney, and she was being deliberate when she raised the question that night.

“Her choice to use that language was not an accident,” the source said.

David Schultz, a law professor at the University of Minnesota, said congressional investigators could be building a case that Trump “aided and abetted” the rioters to interrupt the vote count. And Cheney’s statements, combined with the Justice Department’s aggressive use of this federal charge, hint at what might come.

“We are seeing a pattern of establishing an obstruction of justice that takes it up the food chain,” he said.

Cheney knows the committee can’t, on its own, charge anyone with a crime. But its findings can certainly result in Congress asking the Justice Department to pursue a case against the former president.

Trump’s representatives did not respond to an inquiry on Tuesday, but the former president in the past has repeatedly berated the committee’s work as illegitimate. Staff on the bipartisan Jan. 6 Committee declined to comment on the subject. And the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia declined to speak about their ongoing cases.

It might seem odd for a federal law against witness tampering to be used this way, but the statute includes a provision that makes it a crime for anyone who “corruptly… obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding,” or tries to do so.

As insurrection cases make their way through federal courts in the District of Columbia, judges are increasingly allowing prosecutors to use it.

Ronald Sandlin and Nathaniel DeGrave, accused rioters who were caught in Las Vegas, recently tried to stop the DOJ from using it against them. That effort was promptly cut short by U.S. District Court Judge Dabney L. Friedrich, a Trump appointee, when she issued an opinion on Dec. 10 that noted how Sandlin recorded a livestream shortly before the attack in which he said, “freedom is paid for with blood” and “there is going to be violence.”

Friedrich ruled that it’s appropriate for the feds to pursue these charges, because the dynamic duo’s alleged conduct—gearing up with pistols, knives, and walkie talkies and then storming the Capitol—“fall on the obviously unlawful side of the line.”

“And it was allegedly done with the intent to obstruct the congressional proceeding,” Friedrich wrote.

“This is a really a novel application of this law,” said Jonathan Lewis, a research fellow at GWU’s Program on Extremism who has been closely tracking the hundreds of insurrection cases.

“We’ve seen a number of legal challenges to 18 U.S.C. 1512(c)(2) saying this wasn’t an official proceeding. Or saying this was a political use of a U.S. code in an improper way,” he told The Daily Beast.

Then again, legal scholars concede, this is also the first time hundreds of people stormed into the meeting place of the nation’s Congress.

It worked against Paul Hodgkins, a Florida man who carried a Trump flag onto the Senate floor and got slapped with eight months in prison. Two others, “QAnon Shaman” Jacob Chansley and gym owner Scott Fairlamb, were sentenced to 41 months behind bars. Eight others have already pleaded guilty and await sentencing in the next year.

“One of the most commonly used defenses by January 6 defense attorneys is that their client could not have been intentionally obstructing the proceeding because they had no idea it was an official proceeding,” Lewis said.

But that defense has an obvious weakness: rioters were expressly there to “stop the steal” by preventing Congress from certifying the 2020 election results.

“They were there to interfere with the process. They may not have been there to commit acts of violence or commit an insurrection. But they were absolutely there to do exactly what this statute covers,” Kastenberg told The Daily Beast.

The more defendants plead guilty to this charge, the more they establish it as the norm. And prosecutors have established this pattern before.

“This is how you prosecute the mob. You don’t start at the top,” said Vermont Law School professor Jared Carter.

Going after Trump himself, however, is another matter.

Legal scholars said for this charge to work, prosecutors would have to find that Trump rebuffed his advisers’ pleas that he intervene and redirect the crowd—because he explicitly intended for the attack to happen. Or that he held back the National Guard or federal law enforcement forces from coming to the rescue.

This might be what Cheney means by “inaction” on Trump’s part, said Rachel E. VanLandingham, a professor at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles who spent years as a lawyer in the military.

“It’s going to be really hard to pin criminal liability on the president on this ‘obstruction of justice’ statute, especially when he has wide discretion as president in employing military force domestically,” said VanLandingham, who noted that “criminal law isn’t for bad judgment calls.”

As for Trump’s speech to protestors, where he told them to march to the Capitol and “fight like hell,” VanLandingham said it just wouldn’t be enough.

“This is so tied up with political speech. One could make an incredible argument that President Trump was inciting lawlessness. And there’s a strong argument he was aiding and abetting the obstruction of proceedings. But that has to be weighed against the core constitutional value that animates the First Amendment: the ability to engage in fiery, incendiary rhetoric. And the balance has to be tilted in favor of protecting that speech,” she said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-obscure-charge-jan-6-investigators-are-looking-at-for-donald-trump

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2021, 12:18:10 AM »
Capitol rioter accused of DUI in incident with assault rifle and cops while out on bail

James Grant was one of many who drove to Washington, D.C. for the Jan. 6 rally that turned into a riot at the U.S. Capitol. While out on bail, however, Grant got in trouble with the law again.

The Justice Department's statement of facts about Grant explains that Grant was among those who shoved through the police barricades at the Capitol that day. He has already been indicted by the DOJ.

And despite the fact that he's currently out on bail, Grant continues getting into trouble with the law.

A recent police report involving Grant, flagged by legal expert Marcy Wheeler, revealed that earlier this month he "was operating a motor vehicle under the influence of an impairing substance(s)."

The report also claimed Grant "made statements such as, 'Just kill me now' and 'It's over'" an "was in possession of an Assault Rifle, ammunition, weapon accessories, and fatigues."

They are now attempting to revoke bail for Grant.

"Now, while on pretrial release for these crimes, he was caught driving drunk with an assault rifle and over 60 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, and initially attempted to flee from law enforcement. There are no conditions or combination of conditions that could ensure the safety of the community and Grant's presence in Court if he were to remain released, and the Government requests that he be detained pending trial in this case," the motion to revoke bail says.

That isn't the whole story. The documents also note that unlike many of the rioters, "Grant has a criminal history and was on probation through the summer of 2019."

According to the filing, he was "convicted in 2018 for tampering with a vehicle and was sentenced on July 16, 2018 to 30 days of incarceration and 12 months of probation." Ahead of the Dec. 2021 incident, he was involved in something similar."

See the screen captures of the court documents from Wheeler below:

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-attacker-arrested-again/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2021, 03:36:19 AM »
Jim Jordan is ‘not a serious American’ -- and is ‘running very scared’ from Jan. 6 probe: House Dem

A Democratic lawmaker ripped into Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan for allegedly "running very, very scared" from a congressional probe of the Capitol insurrection.

Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-PA) made the comments Thursday night on MSNBC after the House select committee investigating Jan. 6 requested documents and testimony from Jordan.

MSNBC host Joy Reid played two clips of Jordan's recent comments about the committee. In October, Jordan said he has "nothing to hide" from the panel. On Wednesday, in response to the request for documents and testimony, he said he has "real concerns" about the investigation.

Dean didn't pull any punches in her response.

"He is not a serious legislator," Dean said of her colleague on the House Judiciary Committee. "He is a serious performer, but he's not a serious legislator, and he's not a serious American. He doesn't care about democracy. He doesn't care what happened on Jan. 6 and the lies that led up to it that he participated in. And he's running quite scared."

Dean also pointed to Jordan's inability in an interview earlier this year to specify the timing of his conversations with former President Donald Trump on the day of the insurrection.

"He stammers, he can't figure it out," Dean said. "He's running very, very scared. We have to make sure that the truth comes out. The Jan. 6 committee is doing extraordinary work, has interviewed more than 300 witnesses, people who know something. And what I have said to Jim Jordan or anybody else, like (House GOP) leader (Kevin) McCarthy or the former chief of staff (Mark Meadows) is, 'You should say I will offer you everything I know. I'll give you my phone. I'll give you my documents. I'll give you my emails, because I know that we suffered the most extraordinary attack on our democracy, and it must never happen again.'"

Watch below:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2021, 03:36:19 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »
Gun-toting MAGA rioter gets early gift from feds: A Christmas Eve request for pre-trial detention

A MAGA rioter who brought a loaded gun to the United States Capitol building last year got notice on Christmas Eve that federal prosecutors would be asking for him to be detained in jail ahead of his trial.

NBC 4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane reports that prosecutors filed a request on Friday that Indiana resident Mark Mazza be held in pre-trial detention due to being a continued threat to public safety.

Mazza brought a Taurus revolver loaded with shotgun shells with him to the Capitol protests, although he would subsequently lose the gun during the mayhem that followed.

Mazza then falsely reported that the gun had been stolen, only for police to use surveillance footage to put him in the area where the gun was found during the Capitol riots.

In their filing, prosecutors explained how his history of violent behavior makes him unfit to be released pre-trial.

"Mazza admitted to taking the police baton on January 6... and to using it to strike a law enforcement officer in the tunnel," prosecutors allege. :Mazza further admitted that he was recently in possession of several other firearms... Defendant had armed himself with a firearm loaded with hollow point bullets and shotgun shells capable of causing serious injury and his comments about Speaker Pelosi suggest he intended to commit serious bodily harm to the Speaker of the House of Representatives."

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-riot-arrests-2656159012/