Author Topic: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 02:25:41 AM »
Newly arrested MAGA rioter offered to give a 'Mr. Stone' a ride to Washington DC: criminal complaint

The newly unsealed indictment against former Republican congressional candidate and alleged MAGA rioter Jeremy Brown offers hints that he tried to communicate with longtime Trump associate Roger Stone.

Specifically, the indictment references a message that Brown posted on Parler ahead of his trip to Washington, D.C., that directly referenced a "Mr. Stone."

"Mr. Stone, this is Jeremy Brown," the post began. "I am headed to D.C. on or about [January 3] in our RV with myself and some others... If you need transportation or Security, we can adjust to pick you up."

Stone, like Brown, lives in Florida and was an organizer for the "Stop the Steal" rally that preceded the Capitol riots.

Stone was given a full pardon by former President Donald Trump late last year after he was convicted in 2019 on multiple counts related to his effort to obstruct special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

See an image of the Parler message below.

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-riot-roger-stone/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 01:14:08 AM »
'We're not going to play these games': House riot committee member serves notice to subpoenaed Trump aides

Appearing on MSNBC on Saturday morning with host Ali Velshi, Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) left no doubt that the House select committee investigating the Jan 6th Capitol riot will use every legal tool in the box to compel members of Donald Trump's inner circle to appear before his committee and reveal what led up to the insurrection that sent lawmakers fleeing for their lives.

Admitting he fully expects Trump's associates to attempt to avoid appearing, the Maryland Democrat warned them not to "try the patience" of the committee members.

"I want to start by understanding this concept of criminal referrals because most of us will never be subpoenaed to Congress so we won't really know what are you supposed to do and what does the threat of criminal referrals mean?" host Velshi prompted.

"Those are two different things," Raskin explained. "The criminal referral is if our select committee on January 6th comes in possession of evidence related by criminal conduct by people that the Department of Justice is currently unaware of, we will refer it to them. In other words, if we have crimes that took place that the DOJ didn't know about we will send it to them for subpoenas, we have all of the same authority that a court would have to issue subpoenas."

"So if you get one of these subpoenas, that is not an optional thing." he continued. "That is legally mandatory and we can coerce your cooperation through criminal contempt or civil contempt or what's called the powers of Congress where we can call people before Congress and fine them and use our own sanctions and that hasn't been done for a long time, but I don't think anybody should be testing our patience at this point."

"I want to get greater clarity on the criminal referral that I asked you, you said we're going to subpoena them, they're going to follow the law," Velshi pressed. "That's it. If any of them think they can slither away from this, they should be worried about the information we've already got. when he said we'll offer criminal referrals is that for not showing up or not giving the information that you requested or is that the fact that they may be underlying criminal activity."

"It could be both," the Democratic lawmaker replied. "When we come to people that have committed crimes on January 6th, we will turn that over, but at the same time, the chairman has signaled our determination to get all of the information we're asking for. It's just not discretionary or optional. It's the government's subpoenas or documents from you: you have to testify unless you will assert a Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and we don't think that that exists."

"In other words, we will immunize you from the use of any information you give us, but you do still have to testify," he added. "The point is we're not going to play these games like they did during the Trump Administration."

Watch below:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 01:29:00 AM »
The House riot committee 'is on the right track' with focus on Katrina Pierson: former Trump official

Appearing on MSNBC on Saturday afternoon, former Donald Trump White House adviser Omarosa Manigault-Newman said the House select committee investigating the Jan 6th Capitol riot is on the right track by focusing on Trump aide Katrina Pierson if they want to get to the bottom of White House involvement in the insurrection.

Speaking with host Alex Witt, Manigault-Newman said investigators need to "follow the money" and that Pierson -- who has been subpoenaed -- could provide a treasure trove of damaging information.

"What about the House select committee that's investigating the January 6th attack on the Capitol, issuing 11 more subpoenas, all for people who helped organize the rally right before the mob went on the attack?" host Witt began. "Among them, 2016 Trump campaign spokesperson Katrina Pierson. I've interviewed her. I know that you know her. Are you surprised by this?"

"I'm not really surprised because not only was Katrina one of the organizers, but she was behind the money, you know, and every scandal, it's 'always follow the money,'" Manigault-Newman replied. "And because she was so involved with raising money and organizing the events, I believe the committee is right in subpoenaing her. She's going to have a lot of information, and she had a lot of insight on what they knew and when, and I truly believe because of Donald Trump's violent instincts that he knew that things would probably get out of hand."

"So yes, Katrina should be very concerned, and we'll see what happens, but the committee is on the right track," she added.

Watch below:

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
Yawn.  Rehash of old news while Biden's numbers continue to tank with each new disaster.  The only thing going up under Biden's administration are inflation and the number of pandemic cases. 

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 02:22:24 AM »
Yawn.  Rehash of old news while Biden's numbers continue to tank with each new disaster.  The only thing going up under Biden's administration are inflation and the number of pandemic cases.

LOL. Covid cases are going down and Trump's inflation disaster is finally getting under control thanks to President Biden.

'I flatly disagree': Judge rejects claim by Trump-appointed colleague that MAGA rioters getting unfair treatment

United States District Court for the District of Columbia Judge Tanya Chutkan on Monday drew a sharp contrast with one of her Trump-appointed colleagues.

Politico reports that Chutkan rejected claims made last week by fellow D.C. Judge Trevor McFadden, who last week said that accused Capitol rioters are being subjected to worse treatment than rioters who were arrested last summer while taking part in Black Lives Matter protests.

"Some have compared what took place on Jan. 6 with other protests that took place throughout the country through the past year and have suggested that the Capitol rioters are being treated unfairly," she said during a sentencing hearing. "I flatly disagree."

Chutkan then expanded on her reasoning for rejecting the comparison.

"What happened... was nothing less than a violent mob trying to prevent the orderly, peaceful transfer of power as part of an election," she said. "That mob was trying to overthrow the government... That is no mere protest."

McFadden last week criticized the Capitol rioters for trying to stop the certification of the 2020 presidential election, but he alleged there was a disparity in how they were treated compared to people who have committed similar offenses.

"I think the U.S. attorney would have more credibility if it was even-handed in its concern about riots and mobs in this city," he said.

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-riot-judge/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 05:15:29 AM »
That's good. Anyone who defies a congressional subpoena will go to jail.

Jan. 6 Committee chair: Witnesses who defy subpoenas will face criminal contempt referrals
https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/jan-6-committee-chair-witnesses-who-defy-subpoenas-will-face-criminal-contempt-referrals-122559045788

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 05:22:56 AM »
Mike Pence's role ahead of the Jan. 6 riot lands under House investigation

The House select committee on Jan. 6 will be investigating former vice president Mike Pence's role in the attempted insurrection.

New reporting about White House legal adviser John Eastman's memo outlining plans for a coup shows Pence was more deeply enmeshed than previously known in the scheme to keep Donald Trump in office despite his election loss, and committee member Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-MD) wants to learn more about his role, reported the Washington Post.

"It's an important part of the historical record to determine how close Trump actually came to achieving his scheme of getting Pence to declare unilateral power to reject electoral college votes," Raskin told Post columnist Greg Sargent.

Eastman told the New York Times that he urged Pence and his chief counsel Greg Jacob shortly before Jan. 6 that the vice president could delay counting electors when Congress met to certify the election, thus sending the process back to GOP-controlled state legislatures that could send rogue electors for Trump and set off a contingent election in the House.

"I think Jacob was looking for a way for he and Pence to be convinced to take the action that we were requesting, and so I think he continued to meet with me and push back on the arguments and hear my counters, what have you, to try and see whether they could reconcile themselves to what the president had asked," Eastman told the Times.

Pence ultimately decided he did not have the power to enact this scheme, but lawmakers have requested all executive branch documents and communications related to Jacob and are considering changes to the Electoral Count Act to prevent another vice president from corruptly interfering with election results.

"The structural weaknesses exposed by this episode are a looming danger for the republic," Raskin said. "We need to act within the electoral college paradigm to do whatever we can to make sure the vice-presidential role remains an administrative and ministerial one."

https://www.rawstory.com/mike-pence-jan-6-2655219301/

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 04:19:14 PM »
Still nothing new.  How long can you milk this old story to deflect from the unfolding disasters?  Meanwhile Old Joe's poll numbers are crashing like the Hindenburg.  It's brutal to watch him in late stage dementia.  I feel sorry for the guy to be used like that by his family and political party. 

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
LOL. Covid cases are going down and Trump's inflation disaster is finally getting under control thanks to President Biden.

Cases were up under Biden by 300% around Labor Day despite the widespread availability of the Trump vaccine from day one of his presidency.  So by "going down" you are less than a 300% increase?  Still significantly higher than under Trump even without the vaccine.   And the inflation disaster is "getting under control."  LOL.   Inflation indexes hit record highs over the summer.  It is out of control just like the border, Afghanistan and crime.  Just denying reality and demonstrable facts doesn't fool anyone.

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »
Cases were up under Biden by 300% around Labor Day despite the widespread availability of the Trump vaccine from day one of his presidency.  So by "going down" you are less than a 300% increase?  Still significantly higher than under Trump even without the vaccine.   And the inflation disaster is "getting under control."  LOL.   Inflation indexes hit record highs over the summer.  It is out of control just like the border, Afghanistan and crime.  Just denying reality and demonstrable facts doesn't fool anyone.

False.

Cases in red states were surging because right wingers refused to wear masks and get vaccinated like they were supposed to. Plus right wing Governors ended mask mandates which increased the covid transmission rate. That's a Republican failure. But you falsely accuse Biden for Republican failures. That's why President Biden took the initiative to mandate vaccines to end this pandemic. You should be thanking him.   

Blue states have the virus under control because of high vaccination rates and mask mandates.

Afghanistan was Trump's deal he made with the Taliban in 2020 where he released 5000 Taliban terrorists from prison. Biden was not President then.   

The economic crisis occurred under Trump in 2020. His economic disaster basically caused another Great Depression which then led to inflation. Every credible economist said that was going to happen in late 2020. Trump is the worst jobs "president" in the modern era and has the worst job loss since Herbert Hoover. President Biden took over in late January during Trump's economic disaster and began creating millions of new jobs. Trump destroyed the economy and it will take a while to fix. 

All you're doing is denying reality. You take Trump's disasters and then accuse President Biden of creating them. That is hilarious since Trump handed Biden all those disasters to deal with.     

Mobile View