Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Robert E. Lee and Afghanistan  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Robert E. Lee and Afghanistan
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:57 PM »
Advertisement

Trump claims that Robert E. Lee would have prevailed in Afghanistan. Oh, yeah, like he prevailed at Appomattox. Lee couldn’t hold the South even with his army actively defending the Confederacy. So, there is no way he would have figured out a way to withdraw all his armies from America and still have the Confederate government remain in power. Nor would have he found a way to withdraw from Afghanistan and have the Afghan government remain in control.

Actually, it was not possible for anyone to prevail in Afghanistan. The problem was not the lack of courage of the Afghans. They will fight hard for what they believe in, tyranny. The problem is a lack of faith in democracy. And is this a surprise? “America is here. America is bad. America supports democracy. Democracy is bad.” They would have had a better chance of developing an appreciation for democracy if they were occupied by the Russians or Chinese, although that still would not have been enough (it wasn’t in the 1980’s).

The struggle for Afghanistan was not even close. As soon as we left, faster than one can travel by foot across Afghanistan, the Taliban took over. This is not a case of, “Well, if Biden did things differently, the government might have prevailed.” It was no contest.

So, no, Robert E. Lee would not have prevailed in Afghanistan. Even if he elected to hold all the airports and ram the ramparts. Caesar could not have prevailed. Alexander the Great could not have prevailed. Heck, Alexander the Great did not prevail in Afghanistan. That is why, to this date, the Afghans do not speak Greek or engage in intellectual debate. Alexander the Great occupied the region of Afghanistan but came to realize that he needs to move on. And, being Alexander the Great, it did not take him nineteen years to figure this out. Had he realized that he should not go into Afghanistan in the first place, he might be known as Alexander the Greatest.

JFK Assassination Forum

« on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:57 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Robert E. Lee and Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 11:45:43 PM »
Trump is an open racist who hates America. He supports the confederacy who attacked the United States of America and were losers in the Civil War. His MAGA insurrectionists are the same as the confederates attacking the United States and attempting to overthrow the US Government. Trump turned Afghanistan into a total disaster making a deal with the Taliban and releasing 5000 Taliban terrorists. He signed an executive order a few days before he left office to have all of our troops leave the country allowing the Taliban to take over. Trump surrendered Afghanistan to the Taliban. His comment about Robert E Lee is asinine and just shows how much further in mental decline this loser really is.     

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:04:34 AM »
Trump is an open racist who hates America. He supports the confederacy who attacked the United States of America and were losers in the Civil War. His MAGA insurrectionists are the same as the confederates attacking the United States and attempting to overthrow the US Government.

I totally agree with this comment about Trump. And these comments apply to most of those who support Trump.

Trump turned Afghanistan into a total disaster making a deal with the Taliban and releasing 5000 Taliban terrorists. He signed an executive order a few days before he left office to have all of our troops leave the country allowing the Taliban to take over. Trump surrendered Afghanistan to the Taliban. His comment about Robert E Lee is asinine and just shows how much further in mental decline this loser really is.     

Actually, this is the one Trump decision that I agree with. However badly it was done, I think we needed to get out of Afghanistan. I don’t want to continue to fight a forever war. Once bin Laden was killed, we should have gotten out.

The fight in Afghanistan, after we left, was not even remotely close. I don’t think the release of 5,000 Taliban made much of a difference. Maybe speeded up the campaign by a week.

The same will need to be done with Iraq, with the same probable consequences. But I don’t expect Biden to pay the political price of doing this. It would be bad if he did because it would strengthen the position of the Republicans, probably not enough for Trump to win in 2024 but I don’t want to take any chances here. Biden needs to win in 2024 and the Democrats need to take control of more state houses to safeguard voting rights.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:04:34 AM »