Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswalds Mailbox Vs PO Box  (Read 1793 times)

Online Gerry Down

Oswalds Mailbox Vs PO Box
« on: August 25, 2021, 02:23:33 AM »
Advertisement
In the Walker note, Oswald seems to make a distinction between his "mailbox" on Ervay street and his "post office box" which I always understood to be located in the now Terminal Annex building in Dealey Plaza.

Check out the Walker note here (with the translation underneath): https://aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh16/html/WH_Vol16_0013a.htm

What is the difference between a mailbox and a PO box? Both apparently had keys.

JFK Assassination Forum

Oswalds Mailbox Vs PO Box
« on: August 25, 2021, 02:23:33 AM »

Online Gerry Down

Re: Oswalds Mailbox Vs PO Box
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 03:17:17 AM »
As a follow up to this, i've looked at another translation of the Walker note and that translator uses the term  "post office box" in place of where it says "mailbox" in the WC translation of the note. That translator uses the term "post office box" in both places.

Still though, I thought Oswalds PO box was in the Terminal Annex building in Dealey Plaza and not up at Ervay street which is a good bit away from Dealey Plaza.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »
The Ervay Street box was what he had before moving to New Orleans. Then he closed the Ervay Street box and had a box in New Orleans. He didn’t open the one near Dealey Plaza until he came back to Dallas from New Orleans/Mexico City.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
The Ervay Street box was what he had before moving to New Orleans. Then he closed the Ervay Street box and had a box in New Orleans. He didn’t open the one near Dealey Plaza until he came back to Dallas from New Orleans/Mexico City.

Ok. I was always under the impression that he picked up the rifle at the Terminal Annex building post office (Dealey Plaza). So he picked it up at Ervay street post office?

I wonder what the reason was for changing post office locations when he came back to Dallas in Oct 1963.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:45:46 PM »
Ok. I was always under the impression that he picked up the rifle at the Terminal Annex building post office (Dealey Plaza). So he picked it up at Ervay street post office?

I wonder what the reason was for changing post office locations when he came back to Dallas in Oct 1963.

I believe he picked it up at the Ervay Street post office.

When he came back to Dallas in October 1963 his other Dallas post office box had been closed for a while. So, he didn’t technically change locations, rather he opened a new one that was conveniently located to his job location.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:45:46 PM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »
I believe he picked it up at the Ervay Street post office.

When he came back to Dallas in October 1963 his other Dallas post office box had been closed for a while. So, he didn’t technically change locations, rather he opened a new one that was conveniently located to his job location.

Good point. He opened the box on Nov 1st 1963. He had been working at the TSBD for two weeks by then.