Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Ct's firstly ask yourself, where does my theory go?  (Read 28829 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: Ct's firstly ask yourself, where does my theory go?
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »
Advertisement
Looking closer at the photo provided by Jerry, I see that the surfaces of the moveable bayonet lug that would contact the underside of the barrel form two parallel lines (see arrows in the photo below. This is due to that smaller radius curved surface of the lug. These parallel line surfaces appear to be somewhat rough to me, although the photo is not really clear enough to show this very well.

It appears to me that the contact between the moveable bayonet lug and the underside of the barrel could create some rough spots on the underside of the barrel (which would be in the form of two parallel lines). When Day needed to apply the tape to the underside of the barrel, all he needed to do was slide the bayonet lug away from the print (towards the muzzle end of the barrel. The rough spots (in the form of two parallel lines) could retain some of the fingerprint powder. And those rough spots would show up on the lift as two parallel lines.

Thank you Jerry, that was some very good detective work and research.

You may be on to something, Charles. Funny we weren't told about the lug being moveable.

This shows the loop feature would have been seen on the barrel of the rifle prior to disassembly.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2021, 07:22:33 PM »
You may be on to something, Charles. Funny we weren't told about the lug being moveable.

This shows the loop feature would have been seen on the barrel of the rifle prior to disassembly.

Nice diagrams Jerry. Yes, I think the mystery of the lines has been solved. Thanks again!

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »
To thine self be true......

To thine self be true

::)

Another high school drop-out
> Try 'to thine own self be true' next time

Lazy buggers. Did any of you lot make it through high school?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
Nice diagrams Jerry. Yes, I think the mystery of the lines has been solved. Thanks again!

3D is a nice tool, if done accurately. I knew about the wrap-around feature, but this is the first time I tried it myself. I drew a cylinder and "painted" it using the high-definition palmprint as a texture. I can now zoom in on the model ans see most of the print detail as if it were on the barrel.

The Sixth Floor should consider having as an exhibit several M91/38 Short Rifles in various stages of disassembly, or at least one disassembled.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2021, 09:44:19 PM »

Day was a complete ignoramus about the carcano.....  He initially referred to it as a "lever action" when any elementary school boy could have informed him that the rifle was a bolt action type rifle.    I seriously doubt that he knew that the bayonet lug was removable.....Just as neither you nor Jerry knew the lug was removable.

So you believe that detective Day tapped the bayonet lug off the barrel when there was no need to do so.   He allegedly  saw the print on the barrel, so what reason would he have to remove the bayonet lug?     

This nonsense just keeps getting sillier and sillier......

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2021, 09:44:19 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2021, 10:21:54 PM »
Day was a complete ignoramus about the carcano.....  He initially referred to it as a "lever action" when any elementary school boy could have informed him that the rifle was a bolt action type rifle.    I seriously doubt that he knew that the bayonet lug was removable.....Just as neither you nor Jerry knew the lug was removable.

So you believe that detective Day tapped the bayonet lug off the barrel when there was no need to do so.   He allegedly  saw the print on the barrel, so what reason would he have to remove the bayonet lug?     

The barrel is tapered and the outside diameter is smaller on the muzzle end. Chances are that Day didn’t need to tap it to move it towards the muzzle end to move it.

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2021, 10:29:21 PM »
Day was a complete ignoramus about the carcano..... 

I think we know the ignoramus when it comes to the Carcano and the discovery location.

He initially referred to it as a "lever action" when any elementary school boy could have informed him that the rifle was a bolt action type rifle.

Gee. You'll think a search for Carl Day and "lever action" would turn up something.

I seriously doubt that he knew that the bayonet lug was removable.....Just as neither you nor Jerry knew the lug was removable.

I think if we had a Carcano M91/38 Short Rifle in front of us, Charles or I would have noticed the bayonet lug moved a bit when the bolt retaining it was pulled through it. It's something else entirely when someone knows the lug is moveable, are in a "discussion" about the lug and keeps that tidbit to himself.

What's silly is you turning our slid the lug along the barrel a little way into... "tapped the bayonet lug off".

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2021, 10:29:21 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
 Walk:I
I think we know the ignoramus when it comes to the Carcano and the discovery location.

Gee. You'll think a search for Carl Day and "lever action" would turn up something.

I think if we had a Carcano M91/38 Short Rifle in front of us, Charles or I would have noticed the bayonet lug moved a bit when the bolt retaining it was pulled through it. It's something else entirely when someone knows the lug is moveable, are in a "discussion" about the lug and keeps that tidbit to himself.

What's silly is you turning our slid the lug along the barrel a little way into... "tapped the bayonet lug off".

The handle that opens the bolt action is used as a lever of sorts. Leave it to a high school drop-out like OddWalt to engage in the veritable minutiae-madness CTers/JAQers/OAKers are so dependant upon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:04:54 AM by Bill Chapman »