Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Illiberal Left's Assault on Our Liberal Tradition  (Read 5371 times)

Online Steve M. Galbraith

The Illiberal Left's Assault on Our Liberal Tradition
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
Advertisement
The danger to the American liberal tradition - the shared humanity we have, freedom of speech, good faith conversations, pluralism, openness - doesn't come just from, or perhaps even mostly, the Trumpian right (as it clearly does). Its also comes increasingly from an illiberal left. Andrew Sullivan explains how "critical race theory" - the core belief being racial essentialism or that your race determines everything about you and others - is a direct assault on our liberal tradition.

Key point: Critical Race Theory "questions the very foundations of “Enlightenment rationality, legal equality and Constitutional neutrality.” It begins with the assertion that these are not ways to further knowledge and enlarge human freedom. They are rather manifestations of white power over non-white bodies. Formal legal equality, they argue, the promise of the American experiment, has never been actual equality, even as, over the centuries, it has been extended to everyone. It is, rather, a system to perpetuate inequality forever, which is the single and only reason racial inequality is still here."

The rest is here:  https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/removing-the-bedrock-of-liberalism-826
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:32:46 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

The Illiberal Left's Assault on Our Liberal Tradition
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »

Online Jerry Organ

Re: The Illiberal Left's Assault on Our Liberal Tradition
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:44:12 AM »
Andrew Sullivan; the guy co-workers call the "Office Bigot". :D

He likes the Bell Curve and the "Model Minority" Theory ( Link ). A Trump intellectual with a tinge of Irish; probably being groomed for Fox.

Claiming cultural differences alone account for economic disparity. Legislative protection that only catch the most overt racists are in theory addressing all forms of racism.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 01:29:11 AM by Jerry Organ »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 04:29:25 AM »
I find it troubling how Trump's Presidency has made Liberals more open to censorship or de-platforming of people who express opinions that Liberals disagree with.

I consider myself Liberal/Progressive but I strongly support Freedom of Speech and believe the cure for Bad speech is more Good speech.

There's also increasingly many Liberals who don't want to associate professionally or personally with people who support Trump. I totally get that some Trump supporters can be obnoxious and even bigoted but not all are. I know plenty of nice and decent people who voted for Trump. I disagreed with their politics but didn't hold it against them as individuals. And because of that I've had people ask me why I continue to associate with Trump supporters (most of whom, I befriended long before 2016).

I don't know how widespread that type of thing is so I don't want to generalize. I'm just saying in my own personal experiences, I've witnessed some of the "illiberalism" from the Left.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 04:29:25 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:56:40 PM »
I find it troubling how Trump's Presidency has made Liberals more open to censorship or de-platforming of people who express opinions that Liberals disagree with.

I consider myself Liberal/Progressive but I strongly support Freedom of Speech and believe the cure for Bad speech is more Good speech.

There's also increasingly many Liberals who don't want to associate professionally or personally with people who support Trump. I totally get that some Trump supporters can be obnoxious and even bigoted but not all are. I know plenty of nice and decent people who voted for Trump. I disagreed with their politics but didn't hold it against them as individuals. And because of that I've had people ask me why I continue to associate with Trump supporters (most of whom, I befriended long before 2016).

I don't know how widespread that type of thing is so I don't want to generalize. I'm just saying in my own personal experiences, I've witnessed some of the "illiberalism" from the Left.

BS:

Andrew Sullivan is a joke.

I find it troubling that right wing extremist Trump thugs are breaking laws, using hate speech, inciting violence, and feel they are all above the law.   

Social media companies have the absolute right to de-platform or ban any individual that breaks the terms of service.

Right wing Trump thugs feel they are allowed to incite hate and violence as their "freedom of speech". That is not allowed as "freedom of speech", and when people speak out against it, right wingers use buzzwords like "cancel culture" to play the victim.       

You don't have the "freedom of speech" to incite violence or threaten the lives of people like Trump thugs are constantly doing.

Gotta love the right wing hypocrisy here. Liz Cheney had the freedom of speech to speak her mind and the GOP ousted her from her position in the party. So much for "freedom of speech". The GOP is a violent cult.   

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »
Shuffling Joe was once a mainstream, do nothing establishment politician but he has been pushed by radicals into becoming a sock puppet for the new world order.  It is painful to watch him stooped over with confusion and fear in his eyes.  Often having no idea what is happening.  Putin and China must have to pinch themselves when they see that kind of weakness on display.   Republicans are praying that Biden can last out his term, however, because as bad as Old Joe has become Kamala is much, much worse.  She is way out of her league.  Not ready for prime time.  She is an even more unlikeable and much less intelligent version of Hillary.  Her recent international trip was an embarrassment.  Trump must be licking his chops for 2024 if Harris is the Dem nominee.  All these folks have in terms of appeal is anti-Trump rhetoric.  They have no constructive policy or ideas. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »
Shuffling Joe was once a mainstream, do nothing establishment politician but he has been pushed by radicals into becoming a sock puppet for the new world order.  It is painful to watch him stooped over with confusion and fear in his eyes.  Often having no idea what is happening.  Putin and China must have to pinch themselves when they see that kind of weakness on display.   Republicans are praying that Biden can last out his term, however, because as bad as Old Joe has become Kamala is much, much worse.  She is way out of her league.  Not ready for prime time.  She is an even more unlikeable and much less intelligent version of Hillary.  Her recent international trip was an embarrassment.  Trump must be licking his chops for 2024 if Harris is the Dem nominee.  All these folks have in terms of appeal is anti-Trump rhetoric.  They have no constructive policy or ideas.

:D

You mean Shuffling Donald who can't even walk down a ramp or walk a few feet without the aid of a golf cart. That clown was a national embarrassment and world leaders are grateful they no longer have to deal with a mentally deranged lunatic.

This is what you call weakness and stooped over with confusion and fear.....owned by his puppet master Vladdy and Kimmy who he salutes like a coward. What a disgrace. Richard is projecting once again. 

Here is how a real leader and President conducts himself on the national stage.

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:33:42 AM »
Here's another example of a Trump inciting violence on Faux Propaganda but right wingers feel this is ok under their delusional idea of "freedom of speech" but they attack liberals instead.

'Arm up and get guns': Lara Trump warns people may have to 'start taking matters into their own hands'
https://www.rawstory.com/lara-trump-vigilante-violence/

Lara Trump could be facing 20 years in prison for inciting vigilante violence on Fox News: report
https://www.rawstory.com/lara-trump-2653362450/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:33:42 AM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 05:22:30 PM »
:D

You mean Shuffling Donald who can't even walk down a ramp or walk a few feet without the aid of a golf cart. That clown was a national embarrassment and world leaders are grateful they no longer have to deal with a mentally deranged lunatic.

This is what you call weakness and stooped over with confusion and fear.....owned by his puppet master Vladdy and Kimmy who he salutes like a coward. What a disgrace. Richard is projecting once again. 

Here is how a real leader and President conducts himself on the national stage.

HA HA HA.  Those photos make Old Joe look more and more like the corpse in "Weekend at Bernie's".  Is there any confirmation that he still has a pulse?  Frightening.  And you are still going on about Trump trying not to slip down a wet ramp in dress shoes.  Imagine if he had fallen three times on the steps of Air Force One like a dementia patient trying to escape his caregivers?  Shuffling Joe is in obvious physical and mental decline.  I feel sorry for him.  He is being exploited by his family and fellow dems.  He should be in a nursing home with Mueller drooling his soup and watching Dragnet reruns.