Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: DPD Tapes and a 6 Minute Discrepancy  (Read 23176 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: DPD Tapes and a 6 Minute Discrepancy
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »
Advertisement
"Therefore, it was not uncommon for the time stamped on calls to be a minute or two ahead or behind the "official" time shown on the master clock. Accordingly, at "exactly" 10:10, various clocks could be stamping from 10:08 to 10:12, for example." J.C. Bowles (supervisor of the DPD dispatchers)

JohnM

You forgot the rest;

A master clock on the telephone room wall was connected to the City Hall system. This clock reported "official" time. Within the dispatcher's office there were numerous other time giving and time recording devices, both in the telephone room and in the radio room. Telephone operators and radio operators were furnished "Simplex" clocks. Because the hands often worked loose, they indicated the incorrect time. However, their purpose was to stamp the time, day and date on incoming calls. While they were reliable at this, they were not synchronized as stated in the Committee report. Therefore, it was not uncommon for the time stamped on calls to be a minute to two ahead or behind the "official" time shown on the master clock. Accordingly, at "exactly" 10:10, various clocks could be stamping from 10:08 to 10:12, for example. When clocks were as much as a minute or so out of synchronization it was normal procedure to make the needed adjustments. During busy periods this was not readily done.

and you also ignored overlooked this;

It is, however, important to remember that

1. No exact record of "time" exists;
2. The several clocks were not synchronized;
3. The radio operators were not exact with regard to "time statements" on either radio;

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
I never "assume[d] the time checks on the dictabelt recordings must be correct."  I've said that any clock in common use back in those days could generally be assumed to only be within five minutes of standard time. I amended that to -3/+1 minutes for DPD channel one, because you can reference it to channel two and channel two to other independently set clocks like the Hertz billboard, Kellerman's watch, Sorrels' watch, and Powers' watch. It's really more like -2/+0, but I'm feeling generous.

Really, you had to completely misrepresent what I said?

When he said "When clocks were as much as a minute or so out of synchronization it was normal procedure to make the needed adjustments." Also see the testimony of Frances Cason, who worked as a telephone operator in the dispatch center: "And when we find these errors in these clocks this way, someone in the office usually adjusts them to where they all are stamping the same time. It doesn't happen very often that they get out of time, but sometimes they do."

Not two clocks. Five. I can spot you one if you want to believe that the SS agents kept their watches in sync. But that's still four independent clocks in agreement.
At some point, the regression towards the meaning far beyond being just some phrase that you don't understand.

The Dudley Hughes data as reported by the Nashes, as has already been discussed.

When he said "When clocks were as much as a minute or so out of synchronization it was normal procedure to make the needed adjustments."

Yes, but he also said that when it was busy that was not always done. When Kennedy was shot it was busy.
Besides, Bowles made it very clear that the clocks used by the dispatchers did not give real time to begin with.
They actually did not match the master clock (which gave "official" time), which in turn did not give real time either.

The Dudley Hughes data as reported by the Nashes, as has already been discussed.

All the Nashes said in their article was that the Dudley Hughes dispatcher had stamped a time card with 1:18 for the call. They did not see that card nor has that card ever surfaced. For all intent and purposes it only "exists" in the Nash article.

In other words, they tell us in their article something that's been told to them, which makes it double hearsay. And even worse, there is not a shred of evidence that confirms that the clock used by the dispatcher was accurate. This entire "time stamp card" business is nothing but hot air.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »
Before I continue, let me note that this particular assertion by Weidman caught my eye:
I've been looking for Poe's and Jez's supplementary report as mentioned by Martin, but all I can find is this one where they hear the radio report at 1:18 PM. Is there another copy that says 1:10, or did Martin just make a mistake?

The copy of the report you have posted is of far better quality than the one I have on file. In my copy the typing and the time is very faint, and I could have sworn it said 1:10. In fact, I still think it does, but your copy has me wondering nevertheless if I did indeed make a mistake. I'll check it out as soon as I can.

In the meantime, do you think you can make a credible comment about the sequence of events and the time line derrived from that which shows that the time line is not correct? You can leave the Poe & Jez report out of it, as it doesn't alter anything in the sequence of events.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:35:28 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
I cleared this up with Myers a few days ago.  It was much closer to ninety seconds.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes no major difference to the time line, but it does establish that Bowley must have arrived at the Tippit scene roughly 2 minutes after the shooting (Benavides waited 40 seconds for the killer to leave and then took 90 seconds working the mic, before Bowley took it over.

Now, here's the obvious problem. Dale Myers has estimated that Tippit was shot at 1:14:30. Add 2 minutes and 10 seconds to that for Bowley to start making his call and you get 1:16:40, yet the DPD transcript has Bowley making his call after the 1:17 time stamp.

And then there is Callaway. He got to the scene within 3 minutes after the shooting. Bowley finished his radio call after 46 seconds, which means at around 1:17:26. Callaway must have arrived after that, because he did not know if anybody had called it in. The DPD transcripts have Callaway making his call at around 1:19 or even (closer to) 1:20. Two minutes is a long time, if you are just standing around. Are we really to believe that Callaway just stood there for 2 minutes or more before he decided to get on the radio?

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2021, 02:03:08 PM »

JohnM

Meaningless gif.

You know for a fact that the Hertz clock was 100% correct?

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes no major difference to the time line, but it does establish that Bowley must have arrived at the Tippit scene roughly 2 minutes after the shooting (Benavides waited 40 seconds for the killer to leave and then took 90 seconds working the mic, before Bowley took it over.

Now, here's the obvious problem. Dale Myers has estimated that Tippit was shot at 1:14:30. Add 2 minutes and 10 seconds to that for Bowley to start making his call and you get 1:16:40, yet the DPD transcript has Bowley making his call after the 1:17 time stamp.

And then there is Callaway. He got to the scene within 3 minutes after the shooting. Bowley finished his radio call after 46 seconds, which means at around 1:17:26. Callaway must have arrived after that, because he did not know if anybody had called it in. The DPD transcripts have Callaway making his call at around 1:19 or even (closer to) 1:20. Two minutes is a long time, if you are just standing around. Are we really to believe that Callaway just stood there for 2 minutes or more before he decided to get on the radio?

As I've already told you, Callaway helped load the body into the ambulance before he made his radio call.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »

Which only shows how shallow and narrowminded you are, because I assume nor suggest anything of the kind
Ah, again with the automatic character-assassination attempt.. which has the (unsuspected by you, apparently) immediate effect of revealing your shallowness and narrow-mindedness.   

'because I assume nor suggest anything of the kind'
In reply #86 you certainly did 'assume' and 'suggest'
To wit: "Really? Is this just denial or simply an outright lie?"

Cloak & Dagger reference

The Kennedy family had no intention of allowing the assassination to be dragged through the mud by your knuckle-dragging forebearers. But you clowns managed to turn it into a circus anyway.

What I am saying is what I have always said; eye-witness accounts are the least reliable evidence [and a bogus line up can persuade well willing but intimidated witnesses to turn into police pleasing facilitators.]
Yeah, sure.. what you've 'always said' until a witness statement appears which you figure you can spin to make it appear to support you.

Edited through to 10:35pm-ish
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:58:37 PM by Bill Chapman »