Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Will Pres. Biden release the JFK Files?  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Jon Banks

Re: Will Pres. Biden release the JFK Files?
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 03:18:10 AM »
Advertisement
I'm afraid you're missing the point, Jon. If a security agency promises to never disclose information concerning an informer/asset, not just names, that promise has to be upheld. If not, no present-day or future informant/asset will ever trust that agency again.

Never as in “as long as the agent/asset is alive?”

Or never as in “never-ever”?

I can understand if some agents/assets are still alive.

I don’t understand if it’s related to people who are dead like Joannides.

And names can be redacted if these agencies must not reveal the names of certain people…

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 03:18:10 AM »

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Never as in “as long as the agent/asset is alive?”

Or never as in “never-ever”?

I can understand if some agents/assets are still alive.

I don’t understand if it’s related to people who are dead like Joannides.

And names can be redacted if these agencies must not reveal the names of certain people…

Even if dead there's still the family and friends to consider. Also, even with names redacted, there may be seemingly innocuous clues that point to a particular agent/asset, especially so if the agent/asset is already under suspicion. If a firm promise is given to not reveal any info that may jeopardise the identity, ever, that promise has to be upheld. No if's, but's, or maybe's here. Personally, I don't believe the names of the agents/assets from the civil war should have been released. That promise should, must be ironclad.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:03:25 PM by Denis Pointing »

Offline Ray Mitcham

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
Even if dead there's still the family and friends to consider. Also, even with names redacted, there may be seemingly innocuous clues that point to a particular agent/asset, especially so if the agent/asset is already under suspicion. If a firm promise is given to not reveal any info that may jeopardise the identity, ever, that promise has to be upheld. No if's, but's, or maybe's here. Personally, I don't believe the names of the agents/assets from the civil war should have been released. That promise should, must be ironclad.

For once I agree with Denis  Thumb1:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »

Secrecy is only justified for active covert operations or active investigations.

Whatever operations those people were involved with 60 years ago are no longer active.

Declassification of the JFK Files is the Law. They are obligated to obey the Law unless Biden gives them an extension.

The Act requires that each assassination record be publicly disclosed in full and be made available in the collection no later than the date that is 25 years after the October 26, 1992 date of enactment (which was October 26, 2017), unless the President of the United States certifies that: (1) continued postponement is made necessary by an identifiable harm to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or conduct of foreign relations; and (2) the identifiable harm is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure.

The definition of "assassination record" was left broad by the Act and determined in practice by the ARRB; a final definition was published in the Federal Register on June 28, 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_John_F._Kennedy_Assassination_Records_Collection_Act_of_1992#:~:text=An%20Act%20to%20provide%20for,Kennedy.&text=The%20President%20John%20F.,%2C%20effective%20October%2026%2C%201992.