Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Will Pres. Biden release the JFK Files?  (Read 7088 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Re: Will Pres. Biden release the JFK Files?
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »
Advertisement

They're only required to declassify Secrets related to the Kennedy assassination.

My question is, if the case has been closed for 50 years, what could be worth keeping secret today?

It would be too easy to release information that should not be released. Information that has nothing to do with the Kennedy assassination but gives the name of someone who helped us, or who we believed might help us, get information in Cuba. If the wrong information is released, someone in Cuba or their children could get arrested or worse.

It takes a lot of effort to comb through a ton documents to decide, it’s ok, we can release them. Only do discover, too late, that the wrong information was released. It is so much easier, and safer, for the government to just keep everything secret. That is generally what the U. S. government has decided to do. That is what other governments have decided to do.

That’s what they did with the secret information from the American Civil War. And as a result of this decision, maybe some people who helped the Union during the war didn’t get murdered by the KKK. Eventually, all that information was released, and none of it showed that the U. S. government was involved in the assassination of President Lincoln. I don’t expect anything different when all the secret information from the 1960’s is released.

Also, remember the government has had problems with scanning a ton of information, deciding it’s okay to release it all, and then later discover their mistake. It was just such a mistake that allowed information about the Allies Ultra code breaking of World War II to be released to the public in the 1970’s. The government would have liked to have kept that information a secret, so the Soviets and others don’t discover how even seemingly invulnerable codes might get broken. Of course, it probably didn’t matter because I expect the Soviets learned of this during the war. But it does show how easily the wrong information can be released accidentally when a massive release of “obsolete” secrets are released. Much easier and safer to just hold on to the secrets.

It is interesting that the thousands who worked against Ultra, and broke it, all kept their secret. Including Turning who was unjustly punished for homosexuality. But even this was not enough to turn against his country and reveal his truly great secret and his great contribution to saving Britain. Not even in the hopes of a less cruel penalty from the judge. But this continuous dedication to oath and duty was undone because some bureaucrat decided to have scan over a bunch of documents and not realizing their significance, released them. Whose to say the same thing wouldn’t happen if all the “JFK” secrets were released?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 04:48:37 PM »
Re Joannides: It may be a problem; it may not. It shouldn't have been done. As you probably know, Blakey was furious when he found out. Rightly so.

I'll crib from Myers and echo his view (AMSPELL was the code name for the DRE):
"That is why the CIA records on George Joannides could prove to be valuable. As Mr. Morley rightly points out, “[During the 1978 HSCA investigation,] Joannides did not take the opportunity to say that the accused assassin had been in contact with his assets, rather, he concealed his working relationship with the DRE in 1963. He provided only a handful of miscellaneous AMSPELL documents to investigators… In fact, four decades after the fact, the most important AMSPELL records are missing from CIA archives – perhaps intentionally.”

However, Mr. Morley is also right to point out, and perhaps emphasize more than he has, that “…As a result [of the gap in AMSPELL records], it is hard to draw any firm conclusions about the contacts between the DRE and Oswald…” [Our Man in Mexico City, page 177]."

So release the material.

Questions: Wouldn't Joannides, if he had gone to NO, have met with Bringuier to get more information on Oswald? Bringuier insists that he never met Joannides. And if the DRE in Miami told Joannides about this Bringuier/Oswald encounter before the assassination why do the records show they told him about it afterwards? Isn't once enough?

I just don't think there's any there there. Oswald was a nobody and I simply don't see the CIA having any interest in him for any reasons.

The CIA could've chosen anyone to be their liaison for the HSCA. They didn't coincidentally choose the guy who had a conflict of interest. That was intentional.

If there's no "There" as far as Joannides', the DRE, and Oswald, why has the CIA fought so hard in court to keep his records secret?

If he never lived in New Orleans or visited there in 1963, why doesn't the agency come out and say that? They've confirmed that he had a residence in NO, which should carry more weight that Bringuer's statements. Maybe he didn't know Joannides (people who work with spies aren't always aware that they're working with spies) but we can be certain that Joannides knew the DRE members in NO.

Aside from that, I'm aware that the government unnecessarily keeps some things secret. I'm also aware that there likely is no "Smoking Gun" proving a Conspiracy in Kennedy's assassination hidden in the classified documents.

At worst, I expect that there may be some documents that embarrass the CIA, FBI, and other agencies.

The biggest reason today for the persistence of belief in the idea that there was a Conspiracy in Kennedy's assassination is the lack of Transparency from the various government agencies involved. At best, more Transparency will decrease the belief that there was a Conspiracy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:52:05 PM by Jon Banks »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 05:01:09 PM »
It would be too easy to release information that should not be released. Information that has nothing to do with the Kennedy assassination but gives the name of someone who helped us, or who we believed might help us, get information in Cuba. If the wrong information is released, someone in Cuba or their children could get arrested or worse.

That's not an acceptable explanation.

These agencies have had decades to filter through the remaining documents and decide what stuff isn't related to the JFK assassination. The deadline for 2021 (if Biden doesn't give them another extension) is October. They have a few more months to filter through the remaining documents.

Cuba's Intel Agency likely knows who all of our assets in Cuba in the 1960s were. Their counter-intelligence was very good. Hence why all CIA attempts to overthrow or kill Castro failed.

The USSR is gone but Russia's spies likely know most of our relevant secrets from the 1960s too.

Secret information usually has a shelf-life. The truth always gets out eventually.

The CIA just recently finally admitted their role in Iran's 1953 Coup but most people knew of their role years before their official admission.

Short of the fact that some spies and assets may still be alive, I can't imagine any secret worth keeping for 60 years.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:24:01 PM by Jon Banks »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 05:01:09 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 03:17:27 PM »
Old Joe probably can't even remember what he had for breakfast much less who JFK was.  The FBI and CIA used sources and methods to investigate the real or imagined connections between Oswald and Russia, Cuba, the mob etc.  Some of those sources may still be alive today and disclosure of their identities could put them and/or their families at risk.  In addition, these agencies are notoriously secretive erring on the side of nondisclosure of information for obvious reasons.  So no great sinister mystery that some files have not been released.  And when all the files are released, CTers will pore over them to discover nothing.  And then move on to the next thing without missing a beat.  JFK CTers are always the bridesmaid and never the bride.  Evidence of conspiracy always just eludes them.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Old Joe probably can't even remember what he had for breakfast much less who JFK was.  The FBI and CIA used sources and methods to investigate the real or imagined connections between Oswald and Russia, Cuba, the mob etc.  Some of those sources may still be alive today and disclosure of their identities could put them and/or their families at risk.  In addition, these agencies are notoriously secretive erring on the side of nondisclosure of information for obvious reasons.  So no great sinister mystery that some files have not been released.  And when all the files are released, CTers will pore over them to discover nothing.  And then move on to the next thing without missing a beat.  JFK CTers are always the bridesmaid and never the bride.  Evidence of conspiracy always just eludes them.

You may be right. Which is why I don’t understand why most LN’ers aren’t more supportive of declassifying the remaining documents.

If you’re right that there’s no “There-there”, best case scenario is it reduces the number of JFK CT’ers.

Also it seems like some of you don’t understand that government secrets have a shelf-life. I can’t imagine that there are many JFK-era government agents or assets alive today who haven’t already had their covers blown.

If Biden gives in and extends the deadline as Trump did four years ago, he’s just kicking the can to the next President…

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
You may be right. Which is why I don’t understand why most LN’ers aren’t more supportive of declassifying the remaining documents.

If you’re right that there’s no “There-there”, best case scenario is it reduces the number of JFK CT’ers.

Also it seems like some of you don’t understand that government secrets have a shelf-life. I can’t imagine that there are many JFK-era government agents or assets alive today who haven’t already had their covers blown.

If Biden gives in and extends the deadline as Trump did four years ago, he’s just kicking the can to the next President…

I'm fully supportive of complete disclosure of any and all information relating to the JFK assassination.  I'm not aware of LNer who is not.  I would even support testing Oswald's pants and shoes for Tippit's DNA etc. 

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
As for the argument that there is ‘embarrassing information’ in the remaining classified documents, what could be more embarrassing than stuff we already know about the FBI and CIA?

COINTELPRO, Hoover harassing and threatening MLK Jr, MK-Ultra, Iran-Contra, kidnapping and torturing Terror suspects for example.

More embarrassing than all of the above?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 12:24:17 AM »

I'm afraid you're missing the point, Jon. If a security agency promises to never disclose information concerning an informer/asset, not just names, that promise has to be upheld. If not, no present-day or future informant/asset will ever trust that agency again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:26:51 AM by Denis Pointing »