Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The passing of John McAdams  (Read 5595 times)

Online Steve M. Galbraith

Re: The passing of John McAdams
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:59 PM »
Advertisement
http://wtracyparnell.blogspot.com/2021/04/tribute-to-john-mcadams.html
Nice tribute, Tracy.

I'm going to guess that as a Southern boy and staunch conservative (I'll say <g>) that his experience as an "outsider" at Harvard and then Marquette probably deepened his strong support for free speech, for the right to challenge conventional views, and for the right to hear heterodox views. He likely had some, let's say, interesting exchanges with his fellow academics at the Harvard faculty lounge. Marquette too. So he needed that right more than others. And came to believe in its importance more too.

That commitment to free speech, to expressing unconventional views clearly was behind his efforts on the assassination. As long as one was civil, you could promote whatever conspiracy view you wanted to. He'd not suppress it or say it was forbidden. As you know, he was critical of the latest efforts by "social media" and others to suppress controversial views. Sure, some of these views are just awful - who the heck is QAnon anyway? and really, Ruth Paine was a CIA conspirator? -  but the answer to bad speech is indeed more speech. That was clearly his view. And for what it's worth, mine too.

So while the conspiracists may celebrate his death (some of them are) they really should think twice about the party they're having. It's not John McAdams who was their enemy. Instead of celebrating his death, they should be toasting his support for their right to say what they believe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:49:35 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:59 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »
Unfortunately, McAdams was raised in Jim Crow Alabama and it was reflected in his politics, including supporting Trump's racist policies.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 12:45:39 AM »
Nice tribute, Tracy.

I'm going to guess that as a Southern boy and staunch conservative (I'll say <g>) that his experience as an "outsider" at Harvard and then Marquette probably deepened his strong support for free speech, for the right to challenge conventional views, and for the right to hear heterodox views. He likely had some, let's say, interesting exchanges with his fellow academics at the Harvard faculty lounge. Marquette too. So he needed that right more than others. And came to believe in its importance more too.

That commitment to free speech, to expressing unconventional views clearly was behind his efforts on the assassination. As long as one was civil, you could promote whatever conspiracy view you wanted to. He'd not suppress it or say it was forbidden. As you know, he was critical of the latest efforts by "social media" and others to suppress controversial views. Sure, some of these views are just awful - who the heck is QAnon anyway? and really, Ruth Paine was a CIA conspirator? -  but the answer to bad speech is indeed more speech. That was clearly his view. And for what it's worth, mine too.

So while the conspiracists may celebrate his death (some of them are) they really should think twice about the party they're having. It's not John McAdams who was their enemy. Instead of celebrating his death, they should be toasting his support for their right to say what they believe.

I recall reading about his clash with Marquette University over Gay Marriage and Climate Change skepticism.

I don't agree with his Conservative politics but agree that the freedom to express dissenting opinions in Academic environments is important.

As far as Conspiracy researchers being "happy" that he passed, I don't understand why your opinion of them is so low.

I don't recall a lot of negative comments when Bugliosi passed a few years ago.

People can in good faith view the same evidence and reach different conclusions. Debate is fine as long as it's respectful and as far as I remember, McAdams was usually respectful with those he disagreed with. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 12:45:39 AM »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 02:32:28 AM »

I agree completely Steve.

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »
Unfortunately, McAdams was raised in Jim Crow Alabama and it was reflected in his politics, including supporting Trump's racist policies.

DiEugenio and I recently have extremely different opinions, but I agree with everything he wrote in reply to W. Tracy Parnell in another forum. That said, I do not think it is fair to kick someone who is down.

Dr. McAdams approved the comments I posted on his newsgroup and when it was my call, I approved his comments on jfkfacts.org. My last comment submitted to his newsgroup was late on April 14 and I was surprised he approved no comments on April 15. I'm sorry to find out this reason, why. Rest in peace, John.

Dr. McAdams posted this reply to me. We developed an understanding. He was intelligent and well educated. Ironically, he graduated from Kennedy High School and taught there before going to Harvard grad school.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.assassination.jfk/c/cAsvprrKbUQ/m/9K9YsZkCEgAJ
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:35:18 AM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 05:29:47 PM »
Debate-wise, McAdams  was an expert at dissembling and deflection. His being raised in Alabama wasn't the only reason he was emboldened to support racist policies during the Trump years.

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 05:35:23 PM »
Debate-wise, McAdams  was an expert at dissembling and deflection. His being raised in Alabama wasn't the only reason he was emboldened to support racist policies during the Trump years.

Maybe take the politics to the nutty anti-Trump thread.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 09:28:17 PM »

Jerry, almost all of them have a way, out, but they refuse or it is beyond their capacity to take it. IOW, they have a valid excuse for the what they've become as adults but for most of them it comes with a blind spot. It is sort of their inheritance, but much more a tax they mistakenly consider an asset. They endorse and defend what they were infected with, literally from birth.

Childrearing Beliefs Were Best Predictor of Trump Support ...
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/freedom-learn/201702/childrearing-beliefs-were-best-predictor-trump-support
Childrearing Beliefs Were Best Predictor of Trump Support A poll with four weird questions helps explain Trump's surprising victory. Posted Feb 01, 2017
....People with an authoritarian mindset believe, first and foremost, in obedience to authority. So, of course, obedience is high on their list of ideal traits for a child; but obedience is also high on their list of ideal traits for people in general.  Leaders, especially strong, confident leaders, are to be followed.  Authoritarians also tend toward simplistic ways of thinking; things are black or white, right or wrong.  If something is right for one person, it should be right for everyone and everyone should see it as right. They don’t tolerate ambiguity and have little taste for subtlety or dissenting opinions. To an authoritarian, the way to solve problems is to find a powerful, confident leader—a sort of superhero who claims in unambiguous language that he can solve your problems—and then follow that person...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits
A new report sheds light on the psychological basis for Trump's support.
Posted Dec 31, 2017
...1.     Authoritarianism

Authoritarianism refers to the advocacy or enforcement of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom, and is commonly associated with a lack of concern for the opinions or needs of others. ... ...Those with the syndrome often display aggression toward outgroup members, submissiveness to authority, resistance to new experiences, and a rigid hierarchical view of society. The syndrome is often triggered by fear, making it easy for leaders who exaggerate threat or fear monger to gain their allegiance.

2.     Social dominance orientation

Social dominance orientation (SDO)—which is distinct but related to authoritarian personality syndrome—refers to people who have a preference for the societal hierarchy of groups, specifically with a structure in which the high-status groups have dominance over the low-status ones. Those with SDO are typically dominant, tough-minded, and driven by self-interest....
...A 2016 survey study of 406 American adults published this year in the journal Personality and Individual Differences (see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886916310911 )
found that those who scored high on both SDO and authoritarianism were those who intended to vote for Trump in the election.

3.     Prejudice
....While the dog whistles of the past were more subtle, Trump’s are sometimes shockingly direct. There’s no denying that he routinely appeals to bigoted supporters when he calls Muslims “dangerous” and Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “murderers,” often in a blanketed fashion. Perhaps unsurprisingly, a new study has shown that support for Trump is correlated with a standard scale of modern racism.

4.     Intergroup contact

Intergroup contact refers to contact with members of groups that are outside one’s own, which has been experimentally shown to reduce prejudice. As such, it’s important to note that there is growing evidence that Trump’s white supporters have experienced significantly less contact with minorities than other Americans. For example, a 2016 study (see https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2822059 ) found that “…the racial and ethnic isolation of Whites at the zip-code level is one of the strongest predictors of Trump support.” This correlation persisted while controlling for dozens of other variables. In agreement with this finding, the same researchers found that support for Trump increased with the voters’ physical distance from the Mexican border....

Now, Richard, I am known for supporting what I post to the point of excess, to say the least! Do "even you" accept Dr. McAdams's accusation that I told him I thought he was racist, simply because he came from Alabama?

I predict you will continue to react to anything and everything you disagree with, similarly to the way Dr. McAdams did. I sincerely tried to get through to him, to appeal to his intellect, I really did.

John McAdams claimed to be an ardent advocate of free speech and certainly not racist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur

....According to a New Jersey Police spokesperson, Assata Shakur was on her way to a "new hideout in Philadelphia" and "heading ultimately for Washington" and a book in the vehicle contained a list of potential BLA targets.[55] Assata Shakur testified that she was on her way to Baltimore for a job as a bar waitress.[67]

Assata Shakur, with gunshot wounds in both arms and a shoulder, was moved to Middlesex General Hospital under "heavy guard" and was reported to be in "serious condition"; Trooper Harper was wounded in the left shoulder, in "good" condition, and given a protective guard at the hospital.[55][65] Assata Shakur was interrogated and arraigned from her hospital bed,[68] and her medical care during this period is often alleged to have been "substandard".[9][69][70][71] She was transferred from Middlesex General Hospital in New Brunswick to Roosevelt Hospital in Edison after her lawyers obtained a court order from Judge John Bachman,[72] and then transferred to Middlesex County Workhouse a few weeks later.[73]

During an interview, Assata Shakur talked about her treatment from the police and medical staff at Middlesex General Hospital. She stated that the police were beating and choking her and "doing everything that they could possibly do as soon as the doctors or nurses would go outside".[74]
Criminal charges and dispositions

Between 1973 and 1977, in New York and New Jersey, Shakur was indicted ten times, resulting in seven different criminal trials. Shakur was charged with two bank robberies, the kidnapping of a Brooklyn heroin dealer, the attempted murder of two Queens police officers stemming from a January 23, 1973, failed ambush, and eight other felonies related to the Turnpike shootout.[36][75] Of these trials, three resulted in acquittals, one in a hung jury, one in a change of venue, one in a mistrial due to pregnancy, and one in a conviction; three indictments were dismissed without trial.[75]

In my last post, I wrote that I was in the unfamiliar position of supporting an opinion of Jim DiEugenio.
Consider whether Dr. McAdams would have considered a jury judging his guilt or innocence that consisted entirely of non-whites and predominantly of women, a "jury of his peers". However, Dr. McAdams was certainly worked up in favor of an all white, three quarters male jury's verdict against Assata Shakur, a jury selected from a pool of 140!
https://www.nytimes.com/1977/03/26/archives/joanne-chesimard-convicted-in-killing-of-jersey-trooper-mrs.html?searchResultPosition=2
...Convicted in Killing Of Jersey Trooper
March 26, 1977

Mural featuring FBI Most Wanted Terrorist removed at MU ...
https://www.fox6now.com/news/mural-featuring-fbi-most-wanted-terrorist-removed-at-mu-sorority-says-proper-research-wasnt-done
"Shakur is on the FBI's list of "Most Wanted Terrorists." John McAdams, an associate professor at Marquette University, says he wasn't expecting to see a mural featuring the fugitive and convicted ..."

After outcry, Marquette University removes campus mural of Assata Shakur
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/05/19/after-outcry-marquette-university-removes-assata-shakur-campus-mural/
"May 19, 2015 After outcry, Marquette University removes campus mural of Assata Shakur Joanne Chesimard, now known as Assata Shakur, in handcuffs and leg irons in January 1976. (Frank Hurley/New York Daily News..."

From early in these exchanges, I provided Dr. McAdams with a way out..
. first I pointed out with subtlety what I assumed an Harvard educated, poli-sci PhD, a teaching professor at the University level was likely to have known about his father, a member of the board of education of the 1960s segregated public school system in Lamar County, AL.

I invested the time in trying to influence Dr. McAdams, to inform other JFKfacts readers, after he protested on his blog the creation and mounting of a mural on a wall in a building on the Marquette Univ. campus, a mural he could not view because he was not allowed on campus at the time, owing to his suspension related to what, ironically, he claimed violated free speech rights!

First, for context, my recapping for Jean, on Dec. 18, the points I had tried to make to Dr. McAdams since Dec. 14. Jean Davison is from Louisiana, with roots in Mississippi.

https://jfkfacts.org/agencies-hint-they-may-try-to-block-jfk-declassification-in-2017/#comment-838459

Vernon, AL, is 16 miles from the town Dr. McAdams was raised and taught high school in, Kennedy, AL. The Kennedy H.S. In 1987, Kennedy and rival Millport H.S. consolidated and the present day athletic field is named in honor of Dr. McAdams's father.:
Alabama High School Football History
www.ahsfhs.org/Teams2/teampage.asp?Team=South Lamar
South Lamar High School P.O. Box 309 Millport, AL 35576 Stadium: J.C. McAdams Field

https://jfkfacts.org/agencies-hint-they-may-try-to-block-jfk-declassification-in-2017/#comment-838422

https://jfkfacts.org/agencies-hint-they-may-try-to-block-jfk-declassification-in-2017/#comment-839717

Palo Alto Street Mural Artists Defend Inclusion of Assata Shakur
https://news.yahoo.com/palo-alto-street-mural-artists-002000629.html
"Palo Alto Street Mural Artists Defend Inclusion of Assata Shakur July 16, 2020, 8:20 PM Artists who included a controversial figure on their Black Lives Matter mural in downtown Palo Alto are now fighting to keep it there."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:04:28 PM by Tom Scully »