Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Vincent Bugliosi - More radical than you'd expect  (Read 6642 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Vincent Bugliosi - More radical than you'd expect
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »
Advertisement
Not everything is strictly about money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclaiming_History

In 2007, Bugliosi told Cynthia McFadden of ABC News that in the preceding seven years, he had devoted 80 to 100 hours per week working on the book.[3]

In discussing publication of this version in a 2009 interview with Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times, Bugliosi described Reclaiming History as his magnum opus. He said it was the work of which he was most proud.[11] Comparing its sales to those for his 1974 bestseller Helter Skelter, he said to Morrison, "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."[11]

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:00 AM »
Not everything is strictly about money.

In 2007, Bugliosi told Cynthia McFadden of ABC News that in the preceding seven years, he had devoted 80 to 100 hours per week working on the book.[3]

In discussing publication of this version in a 2009 interview with Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times, Bugliosi described Reclaiming History as his magnum opus. He said it was the work of which he was most proud.[11] Comparing its sales to those for his 1974 bestseller Helter Skelter, he said to Morrison, "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."[11]

And yet, he obtained a six figure sum as advance. Not bad for somebody who doesn't want to make money! You LN lot are hilarious.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »
And yet, he obtained a six figure sum as advance. Not bad for somebody who doesn't want to make money! You LN lot are hilarious.

Six figures can mean anything from one to almost ten million dollars. Do you know the amount? I would suggest that for a high powered attorney’s lifestyle, one million dollars for essentially seven years of his life would not be THE incentive. And that is the message that Bugliosi was conveying when he said: "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."

However, there were potentially more sales in a shorter, less expensive book. And some royalty money in a movie:

In 2008, Bugliosi published a shorter paperback edition of this book, titled Four Days in November: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It concentrated on the events of the assassination and aftermath. This version was adapted for the movie Parkland (2013). A second edition of his paperback was issued as Parkland (2013), to tie into the movie's release.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »
Six figures can mean anything from one to almost ten million dollars. Do you know the amount? I would suggest that for a high powered attorney’s lifestyle, one million dollars for essentially seven years of his life would not be THE incentive. And that is the message that Bugliosi was conveying when he said: "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."

However, there were potentially more sales in a shorter, less expensive book. And some royalty money in a movie:

In 2008, Bugliosi published a shorter paperback edition of this book, titled Four Days in November: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It concentrated on the events of the assassination and aftermath. This version was adapted for the movie Parkland (2013). A second edition of his paperback was issued as Parkland (2013), to tie into the movie's release.

Hilarious.

I would suggest that for a high powered attorney’s lifestyle, one million dollars for essentially seven years of his life would not be THE incentive. And that is the message that Bugliosi was conveying when he said: "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."

Who cares what Bugs claimed his incentive was. The question is what commercial publishing house is going to pay upwards from a million dollars in advance for a book that is not expected to sell?

I really would like to know the name of that publisher, so I can contact him about this book I'm going to write and for which a million in advance will do nicely.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
Hilarious.

I would suggest that for a high powered attorney’s lifestyle, one million dollars for essentially seven years of his life would not be THE incentive. And that is the message that Bugliosi was conveying when he said: "if you want to make money, you don't put out a book that weighs ​7 1⁄2 pounds and costs $57 and has over 10,000 citations and a million and a half words."

Who cares what Bugs claimed his incentive was. The question is what commercial publishing house is going to pay upwards from a million dollars in advance for a book that is not expected to sell?

I really would like to know the name of that publisher, so I can contact him about this book I'm going to write and for which a million in advance will do nicely.

W. W. Norton & Company is the publisher. If you already have authored two or more #1 bestseller books you should have no problem getting that kind of money.

Here is what Alan Wolfe of the Washington Post said about the book:

To say that Bugliosi wants to strike a nail in the coffin of Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorists is putting it mildly; he wants to drive a tractor trailer through their ranks and scatter everyone in sight. Is such an effort really necessary? I am afraid it is, which is another way of saying that we ought to be grateful for Bugliosi's obsession.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »

W. W. Norton & Company is the publisher. If you already have authored two or more #1 bestseller books you should have no problem getting that kind of money.

Here is what Alan Wolfe of the Washington Post said about the book:

To say that Bugliosi wants to strike a nail in the coffin of Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorists is putting it mildly; he wants to drive a tractor trailer through their ranks and scatter everyone in sight. Is such an effort really necessary? I am afraid it is, which is another way of saying that we ought to be grateful for Bugliosi's obsession.

Sure, but Bugs wasn't writing this book for money, right?

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 11:32:51 PM »

Not wanting to be pedantic but six figures is less than one million, it could be as little as 100,000

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 11:32:51 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 11:56:53 PM »
Nobody will read Weidmann's book if they read mine first:

"Oswald Killed Tippit &
Ate Kennedy's Lunch"

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:57:27 PM by Bill Chapman »