Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Story of 399  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Louis Earl

Story of 399
« on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:58 AM »
Advertisement
Maybe 35 years ago a man I knew (very interested in the assassination) told me he had once seen a short film (or read a story) which followed bullet 399 from the time the ore to create it was mined all the way up to striking K's head.  Ring a bell with anybody? 

JFK Assassination Forum

Story of 399
« on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:58 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Story of 399
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:06:20 AM »
Maybe 35 years ago a man I knew (very interested in the assassination) told me he had once seen a short film (or read a story) which followed bullet 399 from the time the ore to create it was mined all the way up to striking K's head.  Ring a bell with anybody?

CE 399 did not strike Kennedy's head.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »

Kennedy, for one, certainly got his bell rung, and more, but not by the twofer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:16:14 AM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 06:57:22 PM »

Unless the miners all signed affidavits, this still would not establish a valid chain of custody for CE-399. Besides, affidavits signed by minors have no legal weight anyway, as established by Alan Rickman.

Offline Joffrey van de Wiel

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »
Gentlemen,

You should know better. The bullet known as CE 399 was not the one 'found' or 'discovered' at Parkland Hospital. CE 399 is a copper-jacketed, round tipped bullet. The 'found' bullet was grey in color and had a pointed tip:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 10:09:34 PM »
Gentlemen,

You should know better. The bullet known as CE 399 was not the one 'found' or 'discovered' at Parkland Hospital. CE 399 is a copper-jacketed, round tipped bullet. The 'found' bullet was grey in color and had a pointed tip:

On his website, Pat Speer relates an anecdotal story about a Parkland nurse who complains about the amount of people leaving bullets lying around. No way CE 399 had anything to do with the shooting IMO.
The twofer shatters on JBC's wrist.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »
On his website, Pat Speer relates an anecdotal story about a Parkland nurse who complains about the amount of people leaving bullets lying around. No way CE 399 had anything to do with the shooting IMO.
The twofer shatters on JBC's wrist.

No way CE 399 had anything to do with the shooting IMO.

Agreed, but I would take it a step further, by saying that I am not convinced that the bullet now in evidence as CE 399 ever was at Parkland Hospital.

There is no chain of custody, until the bullet arrives at the FBI lab in Washington. When the WC asked the FBI for witness identification of the bullet, in April 1964, SAC Shanklin reported that SSA Odum had shown the bullet to Tomlinson and Wright and neither could positively identify the bullet. The only problem was that Odum denied having ever had the bullet or showing it to anyone. In addition, Tomlinson (they only introduced the bullet into evidence after his testimony, and thus he never saw it), testified that he had been shown a bullet for identification only once, in December 1963, by SAC Shanklin. Tomlinson is also on record saying that he received a phonecall in which he was told to keep his mouth shut. And then there is Wright, who - if I remember correctly - used to be a police officer, who told Joshua Thompson that the bullet he received from Tomlinson was sharp nosed, which the current CE 399 isn't. Do the math...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »

Offline Louis Earl

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 04:10:55 AM »
Guilty!

Major goof by me; unforced error.

Of  course I did not mean the pristine exhibit 399, I meant the frame 313 bullet.