Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: SURPLUS CARCANO MODEL 91 TS RIFLE 6.5X52MM - USED SURPLUS CONDITION  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: SURPLUS CARCANO MODEL 91 TS RIFLE 6.5X52MM - USED SURPLUS CONDITION
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:08:54 AM »
Advertisement

I’m going by memory, so I could be off by a bit. But Carl Day rode back to his office with an FBI agent on 11/22/63 when he took the rifle to the evidence room. And the FBI agent obtained the serial number, etc. during the trip. So, by mid-afternoon the FBI was able to start tracking down where the rifle came from. There was only one gun shop in Dallas that had sold that make of rifle. The serial number didn’t match any that they had sold. However, the FBI did obtain the name and address of the importer. The importer traced the serial number as being sold to Klein’s Sporting Goods in Chicago. And by about 10:15 pm or so on 11/22/63 the FBI had Klein's employees looking for information regarding who they sold it to.

If Holmes took his advertisement to DPD on Saturday morning, it appears that it was of little or no benefit to the FBI.

I know the official story ... and I also know that the case is rife with lies by the authorities....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:08:54 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 06:42:00 PM »
I know the official story ... and I also know that the case is rife with lies by the authorities....

Just recently ( from Hosty's book)  I learned that it was FBI agent Warren De Brueys who was the source who provided Hoover with the name Hidell....and that was key to finding the documents at Kleins in Chicago.   

From page 47 of Hosty's,  Assignment:  Oswald ----  Quote.." De Brueys not only figured out that Oswald was the only member of the Fair Play For Cuba Committee's branch in New Orleans. but concluded that Lee was using the alias A.J.Hidell .....  DeBruey's deduction of Lee's alias of A.J. Hidell   made a trace of the rifle hat killed the president possible"...unquote

Amazing!... simply f---ing... amazin !

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
Just recently ( from Hosty's book)  I learned that it was FBI agent Warren De Brueys who was the source who provided Hoover with the name Hidell....and that was key to finding the documents at Kleins in Chicago.   

From page 47 of Hosty's,  Assignment:  Oswald ----  Quote.." De Brueys not only figured out that Oswald was the only member of the Fair Play For Cuba Committee's branch in New Orleans. but concluded that Lee was using the alias A.J.Hidell .....  DeBruey's deduction of Lee's alias of A.J. Hidell   made a trace of the rifle hat killed the president possible"...unquote

Amazing!... simply f---ing... amazin !

The serial number of the rifle and the post office box number address also played a part...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
I can't remember.... But I believe that Holmes tore a page out of the November 1963 issue of Guns and Ammo, (dept 472) and took that page to Capt Fritz early Saturday morning.  Holmes said that he had discovered the ad and wanted to tell the investigators where the arch villain Lee Harrvey Osssssald  ( booooo Hisss) had bought the rifle.   

I believe that is BS!..... Holmes definitely was watching Lee Oswald's PO box ( at the request of the FBI)  and he knew exactly where that rifle had came from.   If we were to know the truth...We might find that it was Harry Holmes who told the FBI where to look to find evidence that the stinkin little murderin commie had got the rifle.

When Gary Savage wrote "1st Day Evidence " he presented copies of the photos and documents that the DPD had at the time they were working the case.   On page 248 / 249 Savage presents the page that Harry Holme tore out of the Guns and Ammo magazine ....   Both the Carcano and the snub noe .38 pistol are circled in that Klein add.

No great mystery.  Holmes knows the model of rifle used.  He says to himself "maybe our suspect ordered his rifle via mail."  The logical place to check is a gun magazine and he comes across an ad for that rifle.  A pretty logical thing for him to do.   That doesn't mean he had any advance knowledge that Oswald had ordered his rifle from Klein's as you suggest. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:51:48 PM by Richard Smith »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 09:27:43 PM »
No great mystery.  Holmes knows the model of rifle used.  He says to himself "maybe our suspect ordered his rifle via mail."  The logical place to check is a gun magazine and he comes across an ad for that rifle.  A pretty logical thing for him to do.   That doesn't mean he had any advance knowledge that Oswald had ordered his rifle from Klein's as you suggest.

Oh, I know that I can't prove that Holmes knew that the holder of PO  Box 2915 had received a rifle from Klein's way back in March of 63.   But Holmes admitted that he was watching the mail being received at PO box 2915, so he certainly knew that a rifle had been sent to that PO Box.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 09:27:43 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:50 AM »
Oh, I know that I can't prove that Holmes knew that the holder of PO  Box 2915 had received a rifle from Klein's way back in March of 63.   But Holmes admitted that he was watching the mail being received at PO box 2915, so he certainly knew that a rifle had been sent to that PO Box.

He admitted he was watching Oswald's mail?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 12:56:00 AM »
He admitted he was watching Oswald's mail?

Yes.....  And since we know that Hoover suspected the Oswald's were soviet spies it's understandable that he would have had them under surveillance .... and watching their mail would have been at the top.    You may recall that Hoover ( not in person)  was opening and reading the mail going to the soviet embassy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:01:09 AM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 12:56:00 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 01:17:59 AM »

The serial number of the rifle and the post office box number address also played a part...

Very well...But..... 1st they needed a name to provide a first step.....And Warren de Bruey's furnished the name AJ Hidell....

WHERE did De Bruey's come up with that name?