Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: A-men and a-woman  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

A-men and a-woman
« on: January 06, 2021, 01:46:25 AM »
Advertisement

Big controversy over ending a prayer with “Amen and a-woman”.

I think we should keep with tradition but start using proper English and end our prays with “Thank you Lord. Those-men.”
Or: “A-man and Those-women.”
Or: “A small step for a man, but big a step for those women and men, with everyone free to choose to be in either group or something else.”.
Or: “Oh Lord, what fools these mortals be”.

JFK Assassination Forum

A-men and a-woman
« on: January 06, 2021, 01:46:25 AM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

Re: A-men and a-woman
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »
Big controversy over ending a prayer with “Amen and a-woman”.

I think we should keep with tradition but start using proper English and end our prays with “Thank you Lord. Those-men.”
Or: “A-man and Those-women.”
Or: “A small step for a man, but big a step for those women and men, with everyone free to choose to be in either group or something else.”.
Or: “Oh Lord, what fools these mortals be”.
John McWhorter, a professor of linguistics at Columbia pointed out that the saying "Amen and A-woman" has a long "signature" history in Southern black churches.

Here's his tweet on it: "Amen and A-woman" is a long-lived Southern/black preacher signature. Rep. Cleaver meant it as a kind of witticism. He doesn't think AMEN actually has the word MEN in it; he wasn't being hyper-anything."

But I do like your idea. I was hoping that the foolishness (and horrors) of 2020 would go with it. But History has the final decision.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:07:55 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »