Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Touring the Tippit Scene  (Read 38385 times)

Offline Bill Brown

Re: Touring the Tippit Scene
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2021, 12:25:33 AM »
Advertisement
Bill: Are you familiar with or heard of a Elcan Elliott? Gus Russo interviewed him for his book "Live by the Sword." Elliott told Russo that shortly after the assassination that he was out driving in search of his daughter who was away from home. He says he saw a man - acting suspiciously (he saw the man "relieving himself" near a bush) - that he later identified as Oswald before the shooting of Tippit near North Beckley.

It's not very credible to me - the Russo interview was in 1994 - and Elliott apparently never told anyone at the time of the shooting of his experience. It's less than not very; it's not credible at all.

A fuller account is here:  https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,2759.msg101861.html#msg101861

Hi Steve.  I've never heard of Elcan Elliott; never heard that story before.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2021, 12:25:33 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2021, 12:28:19 AM »
Well done Bill. Coincidentally, I recently took a virtual tour of that area using the street view on google maps. And I was a little surprised at how many changes have taken place to the structures there since 1963. We can still get a feel for how it was 57-years ago by looking at photos and visiting and walking it like y’all did. But that area hasn’t been preserved like Dealey Plaza has, so it takes a little more imagination.

Thanks Charles.

Yep, the area around Tenth and Patton has changed a bit.  One can no longer drive Tippit's route (Tenth St. is closed off just west of the intersection with Patton).

Most importantly, you can still walk Oswald's escape route (at least the known route, to the Texaco station).

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2021, 12:31:27 AM »
Nice walkabout, a real eyeopener re just how close things were to each other.
I wonder how feasible it would be to have a couple of people who would be stand-ins for Oswald and whichever witness was being depicted re distance. That would give the onlooker a better idea of how difficult it might be to ID the killer.

Thanks Bill (and thanks for bumping this thread).

Yes, a lot like Dealey Plaza, more than one person has said to me that they had no idea that all of the Tippit witnesses were so close in proximity to each other.  The killer was seen by at least fifteen people between the shooting site and the Texaco station barely over a block away.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2021, 12:31:27 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #315 on: November 19, 2021, 12:36:49 AM »
Excellent job Bill.  Your memory for detail is amazing.  Have you ever come across any pictures or maps of the interior of the Texas Theatre at the time of Oswald's arrest?  The balcony report has always been interesting to me since it appears to derived right from the beginning.  It seems to come from the fact that no one saw Oswald go through the lobby and the assumption was made that he went straight to the balcony because he wasn't seen by Burroughs.  There was some indication that the balcony could be accessed immediately upon entering the lobby and some teenagers had apparently done so on prior occasions to avoid the ticket taker.  But I've never seen any confirmation that the balcony could be so accessed.  I've been there but the balcony is long gone.  It's entirely possible that Oswald just made his way unseen through the lobby, but I also wonder if he might have gone up to the balcony and somehow gone down another set of stairs to access the main level without being seen.

Thanks Richard, much appreciated buddy.

I've always believed that Oswald went straight up to the balcony immediately upon entering the theater and this is how he went unnoticed by Burroughs.

Hugh Aynesworth once told me that he (Aynesworth) went up to the balcony when he got to the theater (he arrived at the theater with many of the police officers out front).  He said there were some school boys up in the balcony playing hooky from school.  If true, Oswald (arriving up in the balcony minutes earlier) could have thought better of staying up there once he saw all of the boys there and simply decided to go down to the main auditorium.

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #316 on: November 19, 2021, 12:37:50 AM »
Bill, a most excellent tour despite Robert Groden’s attempt to disrupt it with all his horn honking.

:D :D

Thanks Joe.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #316 on: November 19, 2021, 12:37:50 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #317 on: November 19, 2021, 12:39:32 AM »
Bill’s method of walking arse backwards while retracing the supposed route of Oswald, is INGENIUS!! :)

LOL  Zeon. 

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2021, 03:51:40 AM »
Excellent video Mr. Brown. People watching can view the actual location and see the house. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2021, 03:51:40 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
Excellent video Mr. Brown. People watching can view the actual location and see the house.

Thanks Rick.   Thumb1: