Author Topic: Is the 6th floor museum losing its touch?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

• Halifax - Canada
    • Plaza 3D
Re: Is the 6th floor museum losing its touch?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 09:33:29 PM »
I hope you are not including in those monuments all the "monuments" to Confederate leaders in the Civil War.  There were many diabolical historically significant figures - Stalin, Saddam, Pol Pot, Ghadafi, Ceaușescu etc..  That does not mean they deserve monuments.

The PC mob in Canada are removing statues of Sir John A. Macdonald, the country's founding father. I don't know where it's going to end. Political correctness is a major reason why almost half of Americans voted for Trump.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 01:00:07 AM »
I hope you are not including in those monuments all the "monuments" to Confederate leaders in the Civil War.  There were many diabolical historically significant figures - Stalin, Saddam, Pol Pot, Ghadafi, Ceaușescu etc..  That does not mean they deserve monuments.

I meant in general terms. Jerry makes my point by this example:

The PC mob in Canada are removing statues of Sir John A. Macdonald, the country's founding father. I don't know where it's going to end. Political correctness is a major reason why almost half of Americans voted for Trump.

Wars in general are deplorable and should be avoided if at all possible. But not many people are calling for the removal of all monuments that commemorate all wars. And just what is supposed to be being accomplished by removing the monuments?

Monument - a statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event.

Commemorate -recall and show respect for (someone or something).

Commemorate means to remember and show respect. That doesnít necessarily mean we have to agree with what that someone or something did to show our respect. The JFK assassination is one of the most evil events that I have encountered in my lifetime. I believe that LHO is guilty and his cowardly act offends me greatly. But I donít believe that his monument (gravestone) should be destroyed. WTF would that accomplish?

Online Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 01:47:46 AM »
Wars in general are deplorable and should be avoided if at all possible. But not many people are calling for the removal of all monuments that commemorate all wars. And just what is supposed to be being accomplished by removing the monuments?

Monument - a statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event.

Commemorate -recall and show respect for (someone or something).

Commemorate means to remember and show respect. That doesnít necessarily mean we have to agree with what that someone or something did to show our respect. The JFK assassination is one of the most evil events that I have encountered in my lifetime. I believe that LHO is guilty and his cowardly act offends me greatly. But I donít believe that his monument (gravestone) should be destroyed. WTF would that accomplish?
There is a difference between a grave marker and a monument.  A grave marker does not signify public respect for the occupant.  A statue in a public square does.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 02:40:40 AM »
There is a difference between a grave marker and a monument.  A grave marker does not signify public respect for the occupant.  A statue in a public square does.

Technically, by definition, a gravestone is a monument. (See the second definition of monument in this dictionary.):

https://www.google.com/search?q=dictionary&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS922US923&oq=dict&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i273j0i433l2j5.3797j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#dobs=monument

If the difference between the two is supposed to be that one is on public property, then I disagree that it necessarily signifies the publicís respect. Example: It has become very popular for roads, bridges, intersections, airports, parks, etc. to be named for individuals. All of these examples are public property. And I see the signs and markers that designate the various names of people. Some who I might respect, but others who I might find go against my own opinion of being worthy of the honor. And some who I (and certainly people visiting from other places) might not be familiar with. The point is that there is no implication that the general public respects these monuments. Only that the people with authority to name the monuments want to show their appreciation. Or, perhaps, simply that the property was donated to the public by the namesake. It doesnít matter whether or not the general public respects or even cares.

Now, if the authorities required that the general public show respect, it would be a different story.

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »
Oswald was the assassin of JFK.  The facts and evidence prove this beyond any doubt.  We are 50 plus years down the road and there is no credible evidence of the involvement of any other person.  At best CTers now nitpick the evidence against Oswald or attempt to apply an impossible standard of proof to imply false doubt.  It is weak sauce.  Just because these are vocal nuts doesn't mean that the 6th floor should entertain their baseless fantasy or be neutral about Oswald's guilt.  He is not the "alleged" assassin of JFK anymore that John Wilkes Booth is the "alleged" assassin of Lincoln.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
Oswald was the assassin of JFK.  The facts and evidence prove this beyond any doubt.  We are 50 plus years down the road and there is no credible evidence of the involvement of any other person.  At best CTers now nitpick the evidence against Oswald or attempt to apply an impossible standard of proof to imply false doubt.  It is weak sauce.  Just because these are vocal nuts doesn't mean that the 6th floor should entertain their baseless fantasy or be neutral about Oswald's guilt.  He is not the "alleged" assassin of JFK anymore that John Wilkes Booth is the "alleged" assassin of Lincoln.

It is more like they welcome all questions with equal enthusiasm. They donít discourage the conspiracy questions by belittling the person asking it. Most of the questions that I have seen are for the guest speakers at a gathering of some type. These are usually eyewitnesses to the assassination and the audience usually has a few CT type questions for them. The museum moderators typically let the eyewitnesses answer for themselves regardless of what their personal opinions might be. It is that type of neutrality that is proper. The museum is not a haven for CTers and the related conjecture. But it doesnít discourage that stuff by declaring it crazy either. It is fact based history that is mostly intended to educate. The museum is a treasure for those of us who value these types of things. And I am very thankful that the creators of the museum accomplished their goal.

Offline Louis Earl

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 09:00:55 PM »
I've been to the museum 4x.  Each visit I spend some time just sitting there and trying to imaging what it was like that day.  Imagine (if you want) Oswald firing from the window, running with his rifle across the expanse of the 6th floor, dropping the rifle and going down the stairs.  I know, maybe that's all fiction but it's an incredible exercise to imagine what it would have looked like.

My only real complaint is the jewelry store exhibit of LHO's wedding band.  I don't know why that is there. 

I would like a red line in the floor showing the path he "might" have taken from the window to the elevator.  But that's just me.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
I've been to the museum 4x.  Each visit I spend some time just sitting there and trying to imaging what it was like that day.  Imagine (if you want) Oswald firing from the window, running with his rifle across the expanse of the 6th floor, dropping the rifle and going down the stairs.  I know, maybe that's all fiction but it's an incredible exercise to imagine what it would have looked like.

My only real complaint is the jewelry store exhibit of LHO's wedding band.  I don't know why that is there. 

I would like a red line in the floor showing the path he "might" have taken from the window to the elevator.  But that's just me.

Maybe Marina didnít want it anymore...

Just making a bad joke. Couldnít help it...

Offline Jerry Freeman

• I am not a "CT"
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 06:12:32 AM »
Oswald was the assassin of JFK.  The facts and evidence prove this beyond any doubt
"Doubt" huh?-----Then why do you keep feeling compelled to remove it?  [which you haven't even remotely]

Online Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
"Doubt" huh?-----Then why do you keep feeling compelled to remove it?  [which you haven't even remotely]

Because it is so easy to do. 

Mobile View