Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Infamy = Glory??  (Read 6151 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Infamy = Glory??
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
Advertisement
I’m confused. Nowhere in your James Taylor quote does he specify what Chapman said to him.

MDC’s stated motive is in the article I linked to in the first post of this thread. That link doesn’t seem to be working right now. So here are some similar statements from a similar ABC article:

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mark-david-chapman-man-killed-john-lennon-parole/story?id=73149086

When asked if anything in this thinking had changed during the last 40 years of his incarceration about why he shot Lennon, Chapman said it boiled to glory.

"It was just self-glory, period," Chapman said. "It was nothing more than that. It boiled down to that. There's no excuses."

He had a list of three other potential targets in case Lennon did not work out.

"I came up with whatever famous people I could," the transcript said

One of the commissioners said, "You called it glory and some might call it infamy," to which Chapman replied, "Infamy brings glory.“

No James Taylor didn’t explicitly say in the AARP interview that he even knew MDC’s motive. However, it appears to me that James Taylor implied that he felt that he had had a close call with the same lunatic that murdered John Lennon because he was famous. James Taylor is also very famous and has plenty of devoted fans. JT isn’t stupid, MDC could have easily shot him instead.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:09:17 PM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2020, 10:46:39 PM »
And yet I’ve heard LNers also argue that the shooter chambered his fourth bullet in case he needed to shoot his way out.

Using that last bullet in the rifle to shoot one of his coworkers that might either be on the sixth floor or come running onto the sixth floor from the stairwell is not the same as running away from the building carrying a rifle and attempting to shoot his way through a plethora of law enforcement officers.

He apparently wisely ditched the rifle once he reached the area near the stairwell. Blending in was his best chance of escape once he started encountering other people. And I believe that he instinctively knew that.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
So why would a shooter who was in a supremely elevated position not take them out too?---Be a real killer man. As fancy of a shot they say he was ...it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Answer--the whole thing was a big concocted story.

Answer--the whole thing was a big concocted story.

That’s what is called jumping to a conclusion.

The shooter in the University of Texas (a few years later) did that. But it doesn’t appear that LHO had that planned. However it is possible, I would guess, that he intended to go out with a bang. Shooting Tippit and pulling his gun on the officers in the Texas Theater indicate to me that he didn’t intend to go quietly.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2020, 12:00:23 AM »
" the whole thing was a big concocted story."

Actually...I didn't just jump to a conclusion. I came to a conclusion when I decided to not necessarily believe what I was told to believe but rather take an overall and objective look at motive, method and opportunity regarding the event.
 Believe what you wish .....if you believe in the story of Jack and the Beanstalk that would be OK because it is a more believable story than the Oswald did it [for no apparent reason at all] tale....
Which....I would almost have believed myself if he hadn't been silenced forever right there in the middle of the Dallas police station leaving everyone wondering--what really did happen?
This response should be the last word but I know it won't be....sheep have to always eat the very last blade of grass. 

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2020, 02:14:58 AM »
" the whole thing was a big concocted story."
Actually...I didn't just jump to a conclusion. I came to a conclusion when I decided to not necessarily believe what I was told to believe but rather take an overall and objective look at motive, method and opportunity regarding the event.
 Believe what you wish .....if you believe in the story of Jack and the Beanstalk that would be OK because it is a more believable story than the Oswald did it [for no apparent reason at all] tale....
Which....I would almost have believed myself if he hadn't been silenced forever right there in the middle of the Dallas police station leaving everyone wondering--what really did happen?
This response should be the last word but I know it won't be....sheep have to always eat the very last blade of grass.

I would almost have believed myself if he hadn't been silenced forever right there in the middle of the Dallas police station leaving everyone wondering--what really did happen?

Yes, the murder of LHO by Jack Ruby was hard to swallow. You can see the visible expressions of exasperation on the faces of the DPD officers and other officials in photos and films taken in the immediate aftermath. I remember my own feelings (at 10-years of age) that that shouldn’t have happened. I still feel that way. But it did happen; and like most incidents that shouldn’t have happened, it appears to be the result of several different things. Bad decisions, insufficient security measures, and an emotional reaction all combined. I eventually came to understand and accept it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:16:03 AM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2020, 02:14:58 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
Answer--the whole thing was a big concocted story.

The shooter in the University of Texas (a few years later) did that. But it doesn’t appear that LHO had that planned. However it is possible, I would guess, that he intended to go out with a bang. Shooting Tippit and pulling his gun on the officers in the Texas Theater indicate to me that he didn’t intend to go quietly.

Except he didn’t “pull his gun on the officers in the Texas Theater” and you don’t know that he shot Tippit. Speaking of jumping to conclusions...

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
Except he didn’t “pull his gun on the officers in the Texas Theater” and you don’t know that he shot Tippit. Speaking of jumping to conclusions...

All you have is questions. When you come up with some reasonable answers, let us know.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
All you have is questions. When you come up with some reasonable answers, let us know.

Making up an answer that you cannot demonstrate is actually true is not a virtue.