Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Was Oliver Stones JFK movie homophobic?  (Read 2623 times)

Online Gerry Down

Was Oliver Stones JFK movie homophobic?
« on: November 23, 2020, 04:52:12 PM »
Advertisement
This claim is made in the amazon.com description of the book I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak by Fred Litwin. I presume Fred Litwin wrote the amazon description for his own book so, if i'm correct, this allegation is coming from him. The book description goes as follows:

I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak demonstrates how the left and right have used the JFK assassination to drive home myths about power in America. There is also the persecution of a gay man prosecuted for conspiring to kill Kennedy, the ugly story of Oliver Stone’s homophobic film JFK, an exposé of conspiracy nonsense on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, a look at how the Soviets tried to influence American public opinion that CIA was behind the murder, and the incredible secret why some JFK assassination documents must remain locked up. And a whole lot more.

JFK Assassination Forum

Was Oliver Stones JFK movie homophobic?
« on: November 23, 2020, 04:52:12 PM »

Online Charles Collins

Re: Was Oliver Stones JFK movie homophobic?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
This claim is made in the amazon.com description of the book I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak by Fred Litwin. I presume Fred Litwin wrote the amazon description for his own book so, if i'm correct, this allegation is coming from him. The book description goes as follows:

I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak demonstrates how the left and right have used the JFK assassination to drive home myths about power in America. There is also the persecution of a gay man prosecuted for conspiring to kill Kennedy, the ugly story of Oliver Stone’s homophobic film JFK, an exposé of conspiracy nonsense on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, a look at how the Soviets tried to influence American public opinion that CIA was behind the murder, and the incredible secret why some JFK assassination documents must remain locked up. And a whole lot more.

I have seen opinions that say that Jim Garrison was (among other things). The movie is mostly concerning him and his fiasco. So that aspect might not could have been avoided. I only wish that someone would produce a movie that is an antidote to Stone’s movie. I wrote Ken Burns requesting that he consider it. He wrote back saying he is already covered up making other documentaries. But that there are many others who have requested this of him.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »
I have seen opinions that say that Jim Garrison was (among other things). The movie is mostly concerning him and his fiasco. So that aspect might not could have been avoided. I only wish that someone would produce a movie that is an antidote to Stone’s movie. I wrote Ken Burns requesting that he consider it. He wrote back saying he is already covered up making other documentaries. But that there are many others who have requested this of him.

You didn't like "Killing Kennedy" or "Parkland"?

I think Oliver Stone's "JFK" is great in the context of entertainment and being a political thriller. One of the best Hollywood political thrillers in my honest opinion.
It shouldn't be treated as a documentary.

"Killing Kennedy" and "11-22-63", also took major liberties with the facts about Kennedy's assassination ("Parkland" did okay on accuracy) but I don't see those productions getting as much criticism about playing loose with historical facts...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »

I think Oliver Stone's "JFK" is great in the context of entertainment and being a political thriller. One of the best Hollywood political thrillers in my honest opinion.

"Killing Kennedy" and "11-22-63", also took major liberties with the facts about Kennedy's assassination ("Parkland" did okay on accuracy) but I don't see those productions getting as much criticism about playing loose with historical facts...

Neither of those movies got near the amount of attention that Stone’s movie did. Parkland was mostly about Parkland. And the JFK assassination happened so long ago that most people alive now weren’t around back then. And their interest in it is less than most people who were around and remember the emotional part. Ken Burns has a knack for bringing the viewers into the story. Even if it happened before their time. And Ken already has a huge fan base. So it would be a very popular documentary. That’s what is sorely needed in my opinion.

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
Neither of those movies got near the amount of attention that Stone’s movie did. Parkland was mostly about Parkland. And the JFK assassination happened so long ago that most people alive now weren’t around back then. And their interest in it is less than most people who were around and remember the emotional part. Ken Burns has a knack for bringing the viewers into the story. Even if it happened before their time. And Ken already has a huge fan base. So it would be a very popular documentary. That’s what is sorely needed in my opinion.

I like most of Burns' work but I don't blame him for not wanting to get involved with the JFK controversy. It's too polarizing.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:28 PM »

Stephen King's 11.22.63 wasn't meant as a documentary

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
Yes, I think it was: but perhaps not enough.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:46 AM »
How many Fred Litwin threads do we need?