Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Most Famous Quote of a Historical Figure  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Most Famous Quote of a Historical Figure
« on: November 14, 2020, 03:56:37 AM »
Advertisement

Most Famous Quote of a Historical Figure:

My good friends, this is the second time there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time.
Chamberlain, September 30, 1938

"Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid.' By the way, on November 4, you won't hear about it anymore,"
Trump, October 24, 2020

Okay, Trump’s statement probably is not in the highest level of dumb statements. It probably won’t be talked about 100 years from now. But it is in the next tier down.

What message do I have for Trump?

You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:57:24 AM by Joe Elliott »

JFK Assassination Forum

Most Famous Quote of a Historical Figure
« on: November 14, 2020, 03:56:37 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

Re: Most Famous Quote of a Historical Figure
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »
What message do I have for Trump?

You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

You forgot to mention Oliver Cromwell as the writer of the above

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:03:31 AM »

You forgot to mention Oliver Cromwell as the writer of the above

Yes. And also quoted by Leo Amery, who used that part of Cromwell’s speech to attack Chamberlain’s handling of World War II, in particular, the disaster in Norway. Many credit Amery speech as the tipping point which ousted Chamberlain from the office of Prime Minister and setting the stage for Churchill to take that office, just in time to face the great disaster of the Battle of France, the evacuation of Dunkirk, and keeping Britain going, despite all the long odds for the next 19 months, until Germany blundered into war with the Soviet Union and the United States, and the major crisis period had been successfully weathered. It would be touch and go for another 16 months, but the most dangerous period was over.

I used this quote as a connection to Chamberlain, who also made a wildly bad forecast, as I believe Trump has.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:56 PM »
Yes. And also quoted by Leo Amery, who used that part of Cromwell’s speech to attack Chamberlain’s handling of World War II, in particular, the disaster in Norway. Many credit Amery speech as the tipping point which ousted Chamberlain from the office of Prime Minister and setting the stage for Churchill to take that office, just in time to face the great disaster of the Battle of France, the evacuation of Dunkirk, and keeping Britain going, despite all the long odds for the next 19 months, until Germany blundered into war with the Soviet Union and the United States, and the major crisis period had been successfully weathered. It would be touch and go for another 16 months, but the most dangerous period was over.

I used this quote as a connection to Chamberlain, who also made a wildly bad forecast, as I believe Trump has.

Not everybody cares about that stuff. The point is that you should credit the author for the quote.