Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswalds early discharge from the marines. Why?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Denis Pointing

Re: Oswalds early discharge from the marines. Why?
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 02:01:29 AM »
Advertisement
When Oswald got his early discharge from the marines in 1959, how early was it? Had he months or years left to do?

Hi Gerry, I already posted you an answer to this back on page one. You must have missed it, no problem. The following should clear it up; "Oswald was obligated to serve on active duty until December 7, 1959 (the date having been adjusted to compensate for the period of confinement). On August 17, he submitted a request for a dependency discharge, on the ground that his mother needed his support. The request was accompanied by an affidavit of Mrs Oswald and corroborating affidavits from an attorney, a doctor, and two friends, attesting that she had been injured at work in December 1958, and was unable to support herself. Oswald had previously made a voluntary allotment of part of his salary to his mother, under which arrangement she received $40 in August, and had submitted an application for a "Q" allotment (dependency allowance) in her behalf of $91.30; one payment of the "Q" allotment, for the month of August, was made in September. On August 28, the Wing Hardship or Dependency Discharge Board recommended that Oswald's request for a discharge be approved; approval followed shortly. On September 4, he was transferred from MACS-9 to the H. & H. Squadron, and on September 11, he was released from active duty and transferred to the Marine Corps Reserve, in which he was expected to serve until December 8, 1962. He was assigned to the Marine Air Reserve Training Command at the Naval Air Station in Glenview."

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/appendix-13.html#marines
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:06:08 AM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 02:01:29 AM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 02:34:14 AM »
Hi Gerry, I already posted you an answer to this back on page one. You must have missed it, no problem. The following should clear it up; "Oswald was obligated to serve on active duty until December 7, 1959 (the date having been adjusted to compensate for the period of confinement). On August 17, he submitted a request for a dependency discharge, on the ground that his mother needed his support. The request was accompanied by an affidavit of Mrs Oswald and corroborating affidavits from an attorney, a doctor, and two friends, attesting that she had been injured at work in December 1958, and was unable to support herself. Oswald had previously made a voluntary allotment of part of his salary to his mother, under which arrangement she received $40 in August, and had submitted an application for a "Q" allotment (dependency allowance) in her behalf of $91.30; one payment of the "Q" allotment, for the month of August, was made in September. On August 28, the Wing Hardship or Dependency Discharge Board recommended that Oswald's request for a discharge be approved; approval followed shortly. On September 4, he was transferred from MACS-9 to the H. & H. Squadron, and on September 11, he was released from active duty and transferred to the Marine Corps Reserve, in which he was expected to serve until December 8, 1962. He was assigned to the Marine Air Reserve Training Command at the Naval Air Station in Glenview."

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/appendix-13.html#marines

Thanks. I must have missed that.

This brings me back to my original question. In March 1959, Oswald applied to attend the Albert Schweitzer College in April 1960. With the course not beginning until April 1960, why did Oswald look for an early discharge from the marines, which he received in Sept 1959? Could he not just have waited until December 7, 1959 when he was due to be discharged anyway?

Offhand, the only thing I can think of is that it would have been suspicious traveling to the USSR in the months of December/January as a tourist given the very cold winters in Moscow. So maybe he decided to get discharged from the marines so he could travel to the USSR before the winter set in?

Let's look at the math:

4-5 Weeks Arrangements & Travelling Time: Oswald was discharged on Sept 11th 1959. It took him until Oct 16th 1959 to arrive in Moscow.

In that case, if Oswald had left the marines as originally due to leave on December 7th 1959, he would have arrived in Moscow about January 12th 1960. Perhaps there are very few tourists in Moscow at that time of year.

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 03:18:14 AM »
Thanks. I must have missed that.

This brings me back to my original question. In March 1959, Oswald applied to attend the Albert Schweitzer College in April 1960. With the course not beginning until April 1960, why did Oswald look for an early discharge from the marines, which he received in Sept 1959? Could he not just have waited until December 7, 1959 when he was due to be discharged anyway?

Offhand, the only thing I can think of is that it would have been suspicious traveling to the USSR in the months of December/January as a tourist given the very cold winters in Moscow. So maybe he decided to get discharged from the marines so he could travel to the USSR before the winter set in?

Let's look at the math:

4-5 Weeks Arrangements & Travelling Time: Oswald was discharged on Sept 11th 1959. It took him until Oct 16th 1959 to arrive in Moscow.

In that case, if Oswald had left the marines as originally due to leave on December 7th 1959, he would have arrived in Moscow about January 12th 1960. Perhaps there are very few tourists in Moscow at that time of year.

Gerry, your guess is as good as anyone else's on this. Unfortunately, people guessing is probably all we're ever going to get here. How can anyone ever prove what was going on in someone else's mind 60+ years ago? My own guess is that to an impatient young man a few months can seem like a few years. Especially so in Oswald's case because he absolutely hated being in the army and couldn't wait to leave and start afresh in Russia. Just my guess, which along with 10p will buy a box of matches. It's up to you what you do with your time, personally, I wouldn't spend any more time on it. Good luck.

PS Don't forget Oswald was only due discharge on December 7th 1959 from active duty. He was expected to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve until December 8, 1962.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:23:50 AM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 03:18:14 AM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 03:19:54 AM »
Gerry, your guess is as good as anyone else's on this. Unfortunately, people guessing is probably all we're ever going to get here. How can anyone ever prove what was going on in someone else's mind 60+ years ago? My own guess is that to an impatient young man a few months can seem like a few years. Especially so in Oswald's case because he absolutely hated being in the army and couldn't wait to leave and start afresh in Russia. Just my guess, which along with 10p will buy a box of matches. It's up to you what you do with your time, personally, I wouldn't spend any more time on it. Good luck.

Thanks. This angle is probably going nowhere.

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 03:25:30 AM »
Thanks. This angle is probably going nowhere.

Gerry, don't forget Oswald was only due discharge on December 7th 1959 from active duty. He was still expected to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve until December 8, 1962.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 03:25:30 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 09:40:34 PM »
Gerry, don't forget Oswald was only due discharge on December 7th 1959 from active duty. He was still expected to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve until December 8, 1962.
Which he didn't....and why I still suggest that he was allowed to slide on every front. Perhaps there were hundreds of cold war defectors as stated earlier in the thread. I didn't find this information. How many of these defectors were military fraudsters who shirked their duty by requesting a hardship discharge that didn't exist? The --my daddy taught me electronics-- story wouldn't have carried water as Lee was just a toddler when daddy was gone...... That story along with the ever present fake Oswald picture.........
https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Essay_-_Oswald_Legend_3.html
I am not suggesting that Oswald got away with anything...I am still suggesting that he was allowed to get away with everything.