Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Book Depository as a Potemkin Village  (Read 13809 times)

Offline Denis Pointing

Re: The Book Depository as a Potemkin Village
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 03:13:48 AM »
Advertisement
when it suits you, you frequently use the WR to back up your theories/arguments.

Since you say that you've noticed that I frequently use the WR to back up my theories / arguments it should be very easy for you to cite something from the WR that I embrace.       Please present that .....

You're posting history is full of them. I'm not wasting my time, check for yourself. Listen, I know you're a lonely old man and all that but you really need to stop following me all over the forum. I realise you're desperate for attention and feel the need to communicate with people, even if it's only on forums but I'm not your friend, I don't wish to be your friend. Perhaps you could afford to pay someone to keep you company? I really do feel sorry for you etc but you need to stop stalking me. For your own good I'm going to put you on ignore...go pester someone else.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:54:01 AM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 03:13:48 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
You're posting history is full of them. I'm not wasting my time, check for yourself. Listen, I know you're a lonely old man and all that but you really need to stop following me all over the forum. I realise you're desperate for attention and feel the need to communicate with people, even if it's only on forums but I'm not your friend, I don't wish to be your friend. Perhaps you could afford to pay someone to keep you company? I really do feel sorry for you etc but you need to stop stalking me. For your own good I'm going to put you on ignore...go pester someone else.

Mr Poimtless....It appears to me that you're looking in a mirror......

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 06:20:53 PM »
It may well suit your present purpose to 'ban' us from discussing a part of your work you would obviously prefer hidden but that's not how it works, is it?

He didn't say it was off-limits, he said it was off-topic.  It's called poisoning the well -- a logical fallacy, and Elliott does it all the time.  Whatever Gilbride's views on an unrelated subject are, they have no bearing on the argument presented here.  Just like Michael Griffith's former writings on the civil war have no bearing on his arguments about the acoustical evidence.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »
He didn't say it was off-limits, he said it was off-topic.  It's called poisoning the well -- a logical fallacy, and Elliott does it all the time.  Whatever Gilbride's views on an unrelated subject are, they have no bearing on the argument presented here.  Just like Michael Griffith's former writings on the civil war have no bearing on his arguments about the acoustical evidence.

I'm afraid I don't accept that John, if I'm being asked to read someone's research, not just a post but essays etc, then I'm also going to take a look at anything else they've written, that helps me establish their credibility and honesty. That would be true of a LN writer as well as a CT writer. I'll make no apology for admitting, that as soon as I read that Gilbride had authored a book that included chapters claiming that JFK had been assassinated because of aliens and flying saucers his credibility, in my eyes, sank to zero. John, you work your way and allow me to work mine. Fair enough?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:01:43 AM by Denis Pointing »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »

CTers want a double standard. Certainly, when Gerald Posner got into trouble with over plagiarism, no CTer argued that none of these articles he was accused of plagiarizing had anything to do with the JFK assassination, therefore, this talk about plagiarism should be “off topic”. Nor did any LNer argue this.

Question:

Can any one point out a post on this forum or any forum where someone made the claim that bringing up Posner’s plagiarism is “off-topic”?

Question:

If a LNer ever stated somewhere else “I know that whatever the government tells me, I know this is true” that referring to this statement is “off-limits” or “off-topic”? Couldn’t a CTer point out that their views about the Warren Report are questionable because of this statement?

Question:

Why should the views of LNers, not directly connected to the JFK assassination, be considered “off-limits” but the views of CTers are?

And I should also point out, that Mr. Gilbride’s views about the U. S. Government’s involvement with, and covering up of, transactions with space aliens, is not a view of his that is unrelated to the JFK assassination. Because he believes that this was the reason, or a principle reason, for the government assassinating the President. So, it cannot be considered “off-topic”.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
CTers want a double standard. Certainly, when Gerald Posner got into trouble with over plagiarism, no CTer argued that none of these articles he was accused of plagiarizing had anything to do with the JFK assassination, therefore, this talk about plagiarism should be “off topic”. Nor did any LNer argue this.

I would.  His arguments about the JFK assassination are either correct and supportable or they are not.  The fact that he may have plagiarized some unrelated content has no bearing on these arguments.

Why should the views of LNers, not directly connected to the JFK assassination, be considered “off-limits” but the views of CTers are?

Nobody said "off limits".  He clearly suggested that you create a new thread to discuss your unrelated topic.

Just because this board is about the JFK assassination doesn't mean that every thread becomes a free for all.  If you're discussing the acoustical evidence of the dictabelt recordings, and I respond by discussing the provenance of CE-399, you would be justified in asking me to take it elsewhere.  This happens on this forum to CTs and LNs alike, all the time.  Why should LNs be exempt from staying on topic?  Particularly when you're going off topic to do an ad hominem poisoning of the well.

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:48 AM »
I would.  His arguments about the JFK assassination are either correct and supportable or they are not.  The fact that he may have plagiarized some unrelated content has no bearing on these arguments.

Nobody said "off limits".  He clearly suggested that you create a new thread to discuss your unrelated topic.

Just because this board is about the JFK assassination doesn't mean that every thread becomes a free for all.  If you're discussing the acoustical evidence of the dictabelt recordings, and I respond by discussing the provenance of CE-399, you would be justified in asking me to take it elsewhere.  This happens on this forum to CTs and LNs alike, all the time.  Why should LNs be exempt from staying on topic?  Particularly when you're going off topic to do an ad hominem poisoning of the well.

Please show me the forum rule that prevents members from going off topic. You wouldn't be making up these rules as you go along, would you John?
Last time I checked it was Duncan's job, as admin, to decide which posts were on or off topic. Has that changed, have you been 'promoted' to admin?
John, perhaps you would be better suited starting your very own forum, then you can police members posts and dictate the rules to your heart's content. A short while ago Duncan was asking if any member was interested in buying this forum, did you miss that?
Until that happens I think I'll carry on posting as I see fit (within forum rules) but thanks for the advice.

PS Please feel free to make a complaint to Duncan, concerning my posts going off topic, if you so wish.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:41:13 AM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:48 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
I didn't say it was a rule, nor am I policing.  Just pointing out that it's a logical fallacy to respond to an argument about the TSBD being a false front with a counter argument about aliens.  And the person who started the thread is well within his rights to ask you to stay on topic or start your own thread.  And if you don't like that, then it's your problem.

But thanks for the advice.