Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: DiEugenio Says Nobody Should Read This Article About Oliver Stone's "JFK" ...  (Read 3851 times)

Offline John Tonkovich

Advertisement
Mr. Tonkovich,

Your question should have been, "How does one not get brainwashed by Russian disinformation in a blockbuster "historical" movie (sic) by Oliver "I Admire Vladimir Putin and My Son Works for RT" Stone?

If, in JFK, Stone knowingly created and put onto the silver screen a "counter myth," shouldn't he have labeled it as such for the audience, rather than presenting it as factual?

--  MWT  ;)
So, you were "fooled" by Oliver Stone?

There's this idea, uh, "critical thinking"?

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Tom Scully

So, you were "fooled" by Oliver Stone?

There's this idea, uh, "critical thinking"?

Is the actual problem there are not enough threads like Tommy's, especially if no one seems interested in countering "face saving" BS?

John, the problem is that Garrison conned what has become a cult of personality and DiEugenio advises Oliver Stone. Earlier in this thread, I supported my observation that Clay Shaw, Nicholas Lemann, and Jim Garrison kept the same secret.... that Garrison's father-in-law was the uncle of Garrison "CIA nemesis" David Baldwin and his brother Edward, and David happened to be married to Mildred Lyons, whose mother, Mildred Crumb Lyons Lemann was Nicholas's grandmother, and was also the step-mother of Nicholas's father, Thomas, and Garrison's "WDSU outside counsel-CIA paymaster, Stephen B. Lemann. Stephen happened to give a break to a Dallas priest, down on his luck!

DiEugenio experiences almost no dissent where he posts most prominently. He refuses to debate, but I've mocked his manipulative substitute for facts supported debate. I had made it clear, in a number of posts Jim could not have missed, 2-1/2 years before Jim posted this,
that the trigger for my interest in Garrison misleading his supporters and journalists was accidentally finding this in early 2016.:

I found the obit above while searching for background on Clay Shaw's first CIA hire, David G Baldwin, III. My search terms were the family name of Adele Raworth, which was Ziegler, and the name of Adele's second husband, Raworth. So, learning that the Baldwin brothers, described by authors Joan Mellen and Jim DiEugenio as "the CIA people" and Garrison's WDSU-outside-counsel-known-to-distribute-CIA-funds-in-NOLA, Stephen B Lemann just happening to be David Baldwin's brother-in-law, and "journalist" Nicholas B. Lemann happening to be Stephen Lemann's nephew, I found the debate between Oliver Stone's screenplay partner Zachary Sklar and Nicholas B Lemann a billboard sized indicator that Jim Garrison had misled his autobiography editor, Jeremy Sklar and that Oliver Stone's researchers had failed to protect the two "JFK, the film" screenwriters and character casters from the deception of Garrison and his soon to be spouse for the second time, Elizabeth Ziegler Garrison!

Nicholas B Lemann's uncle happened to hire a former Dallas priest.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/S%20Disk/Stone%20Oliver%20JFK%20Movie/Gentleman%27s%20Quarterly/Item%2002.pdf

Lemann's undisclosed conflicts of interests and stated belief he was free to mislead if writing a magazine piece, came in handy, a dozen years later.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University_Graduate_School_of_Journalism
The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is the journalism school of Columbia University. It is located in Pulitzer Hall on Columbia's Morningside Heights campus in New York City.
A doctoral program was established in 2001. In 2005, Nicholas Lemann, two years into his tenure as dean, created a second more specialized master's program leading to a master of arts degree.  .....

It didn't boost my confidence when I found that the most prominent print attack on Garrison himself, distributed in the same week as JFK, the Film,
was a guy who would soon become dean of a prestigious University Graduate School of Journalism, armed only with an undergraduate degree and a career of writing and reporting that included two other attacks on Jim Garrison. And, Lemann's first job after being undergraduate editor or the Harvard Crimson, was a desk next to Tom Bethell's.:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2009/11/01/windmills-revisited/
Windmills, Revisited | Washington Monthly washingtonmonthly.com › Magazine
Nov 1, 2009 - by Nicholas Lemann ... conservativebut, when I joined the magazine, the other editorial employee besides me and Charlie was Tom Bethell, ...

http://www.aei.org/publication/new-orleans-mon-amour/

Mar 23, 2007 - Tom Bethell, dismayed by media coverage, traveled back to the beautiful and ....Later, I would go uptown to see Brown, who is a part-owner of the Maple Leaf Bar, a prominent venue for live music. But as a preliminary step I paid a call on an old acquaintance, Thomas B. Lemann , a lawyer well known to the city's establishment.. ... the consumption of oysters now requires a trek into the French Quarter.

https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/thread-15982-post-124219.html#pid124219
Jim DiEugenio

#4  09-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Tom, I like you personally and I think you usually do good work and I defended you when people were attacking your approach at EF.

But I am at a loss to explain how you fell for Carpenter. This is a guy who writes for Max Holland. I stopped reading his book when I saw how he covered up the military record of Thrasher who Shaw worked for......

https://variety.com/2019/tv/global/agc-television-picks-up-worldwide-oliver-stones-jfk-destiny-betrayed-1203368818/
Oct 12, 2019 11:00pm PT
AGC Television Picks up Worldwide on Oliver Stone’s ‘JFK: Destiny Betrayed’
By John Hopewell

Offline John Tonkovich

Mr. Scully:
I am an admirer of the excellent work by the late Tom Purvis. And was a friend of his, and was fortunate enough to receive all of his newspaper publications.
Re: Garrison. Tom also exposed that whole scam.
I continue to enjoy and appreciate your excellent work.
Re: Mr. Graves. He tries to hijack most - if not all - threads with his USSR theory re: Oswald.
Ok. We got the message.
 Thanks.
P.S. Please continue sharing your work. Much appreciated

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

Oliver Stone: “I’ve created a counter-myth to the official one – is that so bad?”

Liars are always looking for excuses for their lies. So they can justify the lies to others. So they can justify the lies to themselves. Anyone who makes this kind of statement is a classic red flag. It is no big coincidence that some of the biggest liars of all time, the Nazis, saw all others as big time liars, including the liberal press of the West. Is there a parallel with Donald Trump here? I think so.

Of course, if what us LNers support is a pack of lies, no rational person would respond with their own pack of lies. You just respond with the truth.

If any LNer on this board were ever to say he is creating counter myths to combat the lies of the CTers, I would urge him to go find another cause to support. We don’t need us help. I think other LNers would feel the same.

If John McAdams or if Vincent Bugliosi ever made such a statement, LNers would drop them as their top spokemen. But Oliver Stone can say that and still be a big hero to many CTers. That says something about LNers and CTers.
Good post and key point about the "counter myth" defense of his moviet. I don't think it's just Stone with this view, the "ends justify any means" sort of approach.

Stone also said regarding the appalling abuses by Garrison in the Shaw trial that (paraphrasing) "Sometimes in a war you have to sacrifice people." The person being sacrificed in this instance being Shaw. Although there were others that Garrison attempted to "sacrifice."

So Stone knew that Shaw wasn't guilty but it was okay to "sacrifice" him for the larger war? What about Garrison, his hero? Did Garrison know this too? Does Stone think he did?

Offline Tom Scully

Mr. Scully:
I am an admirer of the excellent work by the late Tom Purvis. And was a friend of his, and was fortunate enough to receive all of his newspaper publications.
Re: Garrison. Tom also exposed that whole scam.
I continue to enjoy and appreciate your excellent work.
Re: Mr. Graves. He tries to hijack most - if not all - threads with his USSR theory re: Oswald.
Ok. We got the message.
 Thanks.
P.S. Please continue sharing your work. Much appreciated

John, I am sorry I've overlooked your post until now. I regret not paying closer attention to Tom Purvis's posts on the Ed Forum while he was living and could have been questioned.

I did not take notice until I looked into Ed Butler, Bill Stuckey, and Willard Robertson in fall, 2015. When I struggled to find an explanation for Willard Robertson's success and influence in NOLA and the curious contradiction of his financial backing of both Butler and Garrison, the posts of Tom Purvis were the only source that made any reliable sense of the contradictions.

I welcome any insight or research material you can add that might help persuade others that no one has come as close as Tom Purvis has to explaining Garrison!

Tom: You are citing connections/associations - mostly of a social type, e.g., weddings - among people and then concluding solely from these connections that these same individuals conspired/worked together to do "X" or "Y".

Showing that person "A" knew person "B" does not prove that "A" and "B" got together to do "X". You just show they may have known one another.

In my view, you have presented no evidence that the Garrison investigation was a deliberate sham - done with Garrison's cooperation - designed to divert attention away from a serious followup investigation.

As to Lambert and QK/ENCHANT: I think her characterization of it and Shaw's role (if any) was fair and honest. Mellen's criticism - and she's a Garrisonite - was wrong. But in my view nearly everything Mellen says about the assassination is wrong (the Trade Mart was NOT, in my opinion, run by CIA operatives). She is right that JFK was killed in Dallas, though.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/4471-rex/
Tom Purvis - Posted 20 July, 2005
.....Maids....
....Of course, other Queens of COMUS include the daughter of General Robert E. Lee as well as the daughter of Jefferson Davis

Post #5:
Robert Howard: Would you care to elaborate?

Tom Purvis: Only the daughters of the uppermost "Southern Elite" secured such positions.
Steve, here is a much fairer response to your (unswayable) opinion than I think yours is to my presented facts.
I do not have a time machine or an outsized budget for this, such as the financial resources of a John Armstrong, but I believe I have achieved actual history altering results while, in reality, making very few conclusions about anything, save for the assertion, considering all of the known facts, no one has so far gotten this right, not Weissberg, Davy, Mellen, Stone, DiEugenio. Lambert, McAdams, Holland, Donald H Carpenter, Lesar, Morley, the extant released CIA records, or even the representations by Nicholas B. Lemann!

The grave of NOLA CIA chief William P Burke's daughter.:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/100520469/constance-ivy-fedoroff

Constance Ivy Burke.....
Daughter of Mrs. William P. Burke

Queen MKC 1950.

Walker Spencer happened to be the Hill School and Princeton roommate of "the father of the U2", Phl Strong, and the best man of William P Burke.

Spencer and Strong were very likely close to C. Douglas Jackson at the Hill School in Pottstown....
Mr. Graves regularly reacts negatively to such interesting coincidences.
https://www.tor.com/2013/08/09/toby-barlow-cia-agent-babayaga/
I Never Knew My Grandfather, Only What He Pretended to Be ...
Aug 9, 2013 - My grandfather sits on a train, waiting. It is early spring, 1937. His name is Philip Strong and he has boarded here in the Hamburg station, ...

During the 1936 trip to Germany described by Phil Strong's grandson, the man who was Time, Inc. chief editor on the day JFK was shot, just happened to be a German American journalist who served as Strong's guide!

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/us/30fuerbringer.html
Jul 30, 2008 - Otto Fuerbringer, the hard-driving, conservative-leaning managing editor of Time magazine during the political and social upheavals of the ...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:24:15 AM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Jon Banks

Oliver Stone's JFK is actually the greatest political thriller Hollywood has ever made.

It's still an entertaining and politically relevant work of art despite the historical inaccuracies.

Offline Gerry Down

Re: DiEugenio Says Nobody Should Read This Article About Oliver Stone's "JFK" ...
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
Oliver Stone's JFK is actually the greatest political thriller Hollywood has ever made.

It's still an entertaining and politically relevant work of art despite the historical inaccuracies.

True. And it made Oliver Stone a millionaire. Most people have never read the Warren Report but they probably (if over 30 years old) have seen the JFK movie.

JFK Assassination Forum

Re: DiEugenio Says Nobody Should Read This Article About Oliver Stone's "JFK" ...
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »

Offline Mark A. Oblazney

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
John, I am sorry I've overlooked your post until now. I regret not paying closer attention to Tom Purvis's posts on the Ed Forum while he was living and could have been questioned.

I did not take notice until I looked into Ed Butler, Bill Stuckey, and Willard Robertson in fall, 2015. When I struggled to find an explanation for Willard Robertson's success and influence in NOLA and the curious contradiction of his financial backing of both Butler and Garrison, the posts of Tom Purvis were the only source that made any reliable sense of the contradictions.

I welcome any insight or research material you can add that might help persuade others that no one has come as close as Tom Purvis has to explaining Garrison!
Steve, here is a much fairer response to your (unswayable) opinion than I think yours is to my presented facts.
I do not have a time machine or an outsized budget for this, such as the financial resources of a John Armstrong, but I believe I have achieved actual history altering results while, in reality, making very few conclusions about anything, save for the assertion, considering all of the known facts, no one has so far gotten this right, not Weissberg, Davy, Mellen, Stone, DiEugenio. Lambert, McAdams, Holland, Donald H Carpenter, Lesar, Morley, the extant released CIA records, or even the representations by Nicholas B. Lemann!

The grave of NOLA CIA chief William P Burke's daughter.:

Walker Spencer happened to be the Hill School and Princeton roommate of "the father of the U2", Phl Strong, and the best man of William P Burke.

Spencer and Strong were very likely close to C. Douglas Jackson at the Hill School in Pottstown....
Mr. Graves regularly reacts negatively to such interesting coincidences.
During the 1936 trip to Germany described by Phil Strong's grandson, the man who was Time, Inc. chief editor on the day JFK was shot, just happened to be a German American journalist who served as Strong's guide!

Fascinating....