Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Then went outside to watch P. parade ( Parts 1 & 2 )  (Read 220750 times)

Online Dan O'meara

Re: Then went outside to watch P. parade ( Parts 1 & 2 )
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »
Advertisement
That's far from clear from what she actually says:

"Mrs Reid said that she--when everybody was walking and milling and so forth--that Lee came to the door with a coke in his hand and said, 'What's all the excitement about?' And Mrs Reid said she told him, 'Oh my God, someone has shot the President'" (emphasis added)

Well, ain't it funny how I'm the one taking the story at face value, while you're the one now scrambling to divert the discussion from its details.

Do you or do you not believe that Ms Reid told colleagues that Mr Oswald said "What's all the excitement about?"

Before you answer, permit me to remind you of your own words just a few posts back: "The story seems far too detailed to be some kind of 'misrememberance'." How have you gone from this to "As for the details of what Scranton recalls about the Reid/Oswald incident, I don't know." Either the details impress you or they don't.

Already answered, as you well know.

Yeah, all a bit confusing (what a shock).

Which door did Reid meet Oswald at?
"Already answered" - by which you mean the front entrance of the TSBD.

But then you have Oswald coming to the door of the office in which everyone is milling around.
How do you account for this discrepancy?
When everyone was "locked in" the central office on the second floor by the police and were milling around, how did the encounter between Oswald and Reid take place?
When Scranton says "Lee came to the door", she is clearly talking about the door of the second floor office. The office she has just finished describing prior to telling the story about hearing Reid going on about Oswald.

How do you move all this down to the front entrance and what was that reference to Lovelady and Shelley all about?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2021, 12:35:11 AM »
Yeah, all a bit confusing (what a shock).

So now Ms Scranton's detailed recollection is "all a bit confusing", lol.

Which door did Reid meet Oswald at?
"Already answered" - by which you mean the front entrance of the TSBD.

But then you have Oswald coming to the door of the office in which everyone is milling around.

I don't have anything of the sort, nor does Ms Scranton. What you're doing here is superimposing Ms Reid's later story on the one she originally told colleagues (as per Ms Scranton, whose detailed recollection you used to admire).

How do you account for this discrepancy?
When everyone was "locked in" the central office on the second floor by the police and were milling around, how did the encounter between Oswald and Reid take place?
When Scranton says "Lee came to the door", she is clearly talking about the door of the second floor office. The office she has just finished describing prior to telling the story about hearing Reid going on about Oswald.

How do you move all this down to the front entrance and what was that reference to Lovelady and Shelley all about?

The reason you're asking all these questions is to deflect from the question I asked you: Do you believe Ms Reid told colleagues that Mr Oswald asked her "What's all the excitement about?". Kindly answer it  Thumb1:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:49:56 AM by Alan Ford »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2021, 12:45:41 AM »
Now! While Mr O'Meara writhes on the hook of his own making, let us take the question that Mr Oswald (according to Ms Scranton's account of what Ms Reid originally said) asked Ms Reid---------------"What's all the excitement about?"----------------and cross-reference it with this little nugget from Captain Fritz's WC testimony:

Mr. BALL. Did you ask him what happened that day; where he had been?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. What did he say?
Mr. FRITZ. Well he told me that he was eating lunch with some of the employees when this happened, and that he saw all the excitement and he didn’t think, I also asked him why he left the building.

Combining: Mr Oswald saw all the "excitement" but didn't understand what was going on until Ms Reid came running up and told him what had happened.

When Mr Truly got wind of what Ms Reid---------his clerical supervisor---------was telling people, he pressurized her into changing her story. She didn't give her affidavit until the Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:49:08 AM by Alan Ford »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2021, 12:45:41 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #787 on: January 10, 2021, 01:18:32 AM »
So now Ms Scranton's detailed recollection is "all a bit confusing", lol.

;D What a comeback

I don't have anything of the sort, nor does Ms Scranton. What you're doing here is superimposing Ms Reid's later story on the one she originally told colleagues (as per Ms Scranton, whose detailed recollection you used to admire).

Scranton has Oswald coming to the door of the second floor office.
You fantasise that the Reid/Oswald encounter happened at the front entrance of the TSBD. Obviously you don't have even the slightest shred of evidence for this but that's never stopped you before.
The only one superimposing is you.
Still no explanation about your mysterious reference to Shelley and Lovelady in this regard

The reason you're asking all these questions is to deflect from the question I asked you: Do you believe Ms Reid told colleagues that Mr Oswald asked her "What's all the excitement about?". Kindly answer it  Thumb1:

The reason I'm asking all these questions is to show up your on-the-hoof for what it is.
As for your inane question - I totally accept Scranton is recalling this correctly. During the interview in general she comes across as a fairly competent witness.

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #788 on: January 10, 2021, 01:27:12 AM »
Scranton has Oswald coming to the door of the second floor office.

Quote, please.

As for your inane question - I totally accept Scranton is recalling this correctly. During the interview in general she comes across as a fairly competent witness.

And yet Ms Reid has nothing of Mr Oswald's asking her "What's all the excitement about?" in any of her official statements, which all have her initiating the exchange and his mumbling something intelligible back at her.

From her W.C. testimony:

Mr. BELIN. Could you even remember one word that he mumbled?
Mrs. REID. I did not because he kept moving and I did, too, and I was just not interested in what he was saying, it was just the excitement of time and I didn't even say, "What did you say?" because I wasn't interested.

Why this change in Ms Reid's story?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #788 on: January 10, 2021, 01:27:12 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #789 on: January 10, 2021, 01:59:54 AM »
Quote, please.

When Scranton tells her story she goes into great pains to describe the setting and in particular the central office in which the story takes place. She begins with an overview of the second floor in general:

"...our offices were around the building and then there was a centre office building, a large bullpen kind of office on the second floor, that was the office of the Texas School Book Depository."

She describes Reid as being the supervisor of this office. She then describes how she and her work colleagues "were milling around" in this office as they were "locked in" by the police. It is in this setting that Scranton describes Reid saying "that Lee came to the door with a coke in his hand". In this context 'the door' can only refer to a door of the second floor central office. In no way can this be construed as meaning the front entrance of the TSBD.

And yet Ms Reid has nothing of Mr Oswald's asking her "What's all the excitement about?" in any of her official statements, which all have her initiating the exchange and his mumbling something intelligible back at her.

From her W.C. testimony:

Mr. BELIN. Could you even remember one word that he mumbled?
Mrs. REID. I did not because he kept moving and I did, too, and I was just not interested in what he was saying, it was just the excitement of time and I didn't even say, "What did you say?" because I wasn't interested.

Why this change in Ms Reid's story?

Scranton misheard. Misunderstood. Mis-remembered.
There is no mystery here whatsoever.
All that matters is Scranton confirming Reid was telling people about her encounter with Oswald in the immediate aftermath of the assassination. She may have got some details wrong, so what, she's human. It's the context of the details that matter.
In your desperation you have to grab on to any small detail in the hope of making the context go away - Reid telling her work colleagues about an encounter with Oswald, coke in hand, in which she commented on the president's death, immediately after the assassination.

What evidence do you have Reid's encounter with Oswald happened at the front entrance of the TSBD? If you absolutely no evidence whatsoever I wouldn't bother answering if I was you  Thumb1:

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #790 on: January 10, 2021, 02:07:15 AM »
When Scranton tells her story she goes into great pains to describe the setting and in particular the central office in which the story takes place. She begins with an overview of the second floor in general:

"...our offices were around the building and then there was a centre office building, a large bullpen kind of office on the second floor, that was the office of the Texas School Book Depository."

She describes Reid as being the supervisor of this office. She then describes how she and her work colleagues "were milling around" in this office as they were "locked in" by the police. It is in this setting that Scranton describes Reid saying "that Lee came to the door with a coke in his hand". In this context 'the door' can only refer to a door of the second floor central office. In no way can this be construed as meaning the front entrance of the TSBD.

Nope, you're just reading that into it. The scene Ms Scranton sets is of the place where they all were at the time Ms Reid told them of the incident.

Scranton misheard. Misunderstood. Mis-remembered.

:D Why, just in your last post you wrote: "I totally accept Scranton is recalling this correctly." Time to take a walk, Mr O'Meara, you obviously need some air!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #790 on: January 10, 2021, 02:07:15 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #791 on: January 10, 2021, 02:21:54 AM »
Nope, you're just reading that into it.

It's how the English language works (not your strong suit, I know)
In the context of the story being told "the door" can only refer to a door of the second floor central office. That's a fact of how the English language works. It's not a question of me reading into it.
It cannot refer to any other door.

The scene Ms Scranton sets is of the place where they all were at the time Ms Reid told them of the incident.

I know it's the place where they all were at the time Mrs Reid told them of the incident.
That's the whole point of what I'm saying.
The place where Scranton heard Reid telling the story and the place where Reid states she saw Oswald in her WC testimony is the same place.
You do realise that don't you?

:D Why, just in your last post you wrote: "I totally accept Scranton is recalling this correctly." Time to take a walk, Mr O'Meara, you obviously need some air!

English really isn't your strong suit  Thumb1:

You're being asked a specific question -

"What evidence do you have Reid's encounter with Oswald happened at the front entrance of the TSBD? "

Kindly answer  8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:22:37 AM by Dan O'meara »