Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: JFK's Head Snap and the Implausible Jet-Effect and Neurospasm Theories  (Read 27923 times)

Online Dan O'meara

Re: JFK's Head Snap and the Implausible Jet-Effect and Neurospasm Theories
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »
Advertisement

An impact at z222 should not cause Connally to show pain in his face by z223. That would be too fast a reaction. So, his face showing no pain at z223 is no reason to reject an impact at z222.

Reaction times are hard to estimate. You can’t just shoot someone to find out. People can claim the reaction should start in 100 milliseconds or 150 milliseconds or 200 milliseconds. There is never going to be a way to test these claims.

How long it takes a coat to move is something that can be tested, as many times as one likes. This is clearly the rational method to estimate when the bullet impact took place. And these tests have been done and show the coat moves 100 milliseconds after the bullet passes through it. I’m not going to overrule these real-world tests just because someone claims, with no real-world supporting evidence, that the face would register pain in 55 milliseconds.

Question:

Should our estimates on when the bullet impact took place be based on reactions we cannot test or on reactions we can test?

Hi Joe,

You are quite right, after looking at my post again I've put too much emphasis on Connally's appearance and obviously he wouldn't be reacting to the shot that quickly. Even in z224 where we can see his jacket beginning to move his face looks unconcerned (by the way, you previously stated that z224 showed the maximum bulge of the jacket which is wrong. In z225 the jacket has clearly bulged out further, it seems fairly obvious):

Question: Should we trust our own eyes or some dodgy, assumption-led test?

The part of my reply that you edited out in such an heroic fashion referred to the jacket bulging and it was this part of my response I should have emphasised, it is this that demonstrates when the bullet has passed through both men:

Question: Should you critique the complete response or edit it to suit your own needs?

The jacket bulging is an instantaneous mechanical response to an impact. You talk about tests where the bullet passes straight through the jacket which then moves 100 milliseconds later. It is all based on the assumption that the bullet passed cleanly through the jacket. In your earlier post you claim the jacket is moved by the 'debris' that exits Connally's chest. So you are claiming the bullet passes through Connally and the jacket after which the 'debris' waits for 100 milliseconds before exiting:

Question: Do you see the corner you've painted yourself into?

I'm not saying you do, but if anyone believes CE 399 shattered Connally's wrist bone, the thick end of the radius, and came out looking like it did is suffering from 'Magical Thinking'. I accept that some kind of miraculous event may have possibly occurred but I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket. At the moment my intuition is telling me the bullet that passed through JFK and then shattered Connally's rib had lost enough momentum to have difficulty getting through Connally's jacket, causing it to bulge on contact - z224. I need to go to dodgytesting.com to find something that corroborates my hunch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:27:23 AM by Dan O'meara »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »

Offline Duncan MacRae

• Administrator
    • JFK Assassination Photographs
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »
A CTer is an OAKisser
An LNer is an OAKicker
A heads up for all.

Calling a fellow member either of the above acronyms may be construed by some as a personal insult, and if reported as such by the allegedly insulted member, would result, after consideration by admin, in a posting ban which would require a readmission fee of ($20) in order to allow posting privileges to be restored.

Offline Michael T. Griffith

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
Look, Governor Connally himself said he was positive he was not hit before Z234, and he's the guy who took the hit, who felt it, and who knows his body better than anyone else. The autopsy doctors established at the autopsy that the back wound had no exit point. They had to destroy the first draft of the autopsy report and rewrite it when they realized this would not work for the lone-gunman theory. When Dr. Mantik examined the autopsy x-rays, he found there is no path from the back wound to the throat wound without smashing through the spine. Dr. Nichols, a professor of pathology, deduced the same fact without the benefit of seeing the x-rays.

The holes in the back of Kennedy's coat and shirt prove the back wound was too low for the single-bullet theory--and no, the coat and shirt did not magically bunch up in nearly perfect correspondence to create two overlapping holes that were at least 2 inches lower than the wound. We have numerous witnesses--federal agents, medical technicians, and doctors--who said the back wound was about 5 inches down from the top of the collar, that it was visibly below the top of the shoulder blade. And we have known for years, from a document that was never supposed to be seen--the transcript of the 27 January 1964 WC executive session--that chief counsel J. Lee Rankin said the bullet entered Kennedy's back below the shoulder blade. Rankin even referred to a picture (obviously one of the autopsy photos) which he said showed that "the bullet entered below the shoulder blade." But none of this matters to lone-gunman theorists, because they must cling to the absurd single-bullet theory since there can be no lone-gunman theory without it.

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread:

I think objective readers will notice that the WC apologists who are replying in this thread have no good answers for the powerful evidence against the neurospasm theory and the jet-effect theory. They can't even admit that the damage that the HSCA FPP said was done at T1 would have prevented the lightening-quick neuromuscular reaction that they say occurred. Nor will they acknowledge the readily observable fact that Kennedy's reaction to the headshot is nothing like the goat's reaction in the goat films, which makes the neurospasm theory downright silly from the get-go. And the specious nature of their position can be seen in the fact that in one breath they say that a bullet from behind pushed Kennedy's head forward by 0.6 to 2.3 inches in 40 milliseconds but that a bullet from the front could not have caused Kennedy's head to move backward to any degree.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:56:30 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
Look, Governor Connally himself said he was positive he was not hit before Z234, and he's the guy who took the hit, who felt it, and who knows his body better than anyone else. The autopsy doctors established at the autopsy that the back wound had no exit point. They had to destroy the first draft of the autopsy report and rewrite it when they realized this would not work for the lone-gunman theory. When Dr. Mantik examined the autopsy x-rays, he found there is no path from the back wound to the throat wound without smashing through the spine. Dr. Nichols, a professor of pathology, deduced the same fact without the benefit of seeing the x-rays.

The holes in the back of Kennedy's coat and shirt prove the back wound was too low for the single-bullet theory--and no, the coat and shirt did not magically bunch up in nearly perfect correspondence to create two overlapping holes that were at least 2 inches lower than the wound. We have numerous witnesses--federal agents, medical technicians, and doctors--who said the back wound was about 5 inches down from the top of the collar, that it was visibly below the top of the shoulder blade. And we have known for years, from a document that was never supposed to be seen--the transcript of the 27 January 1964 WC executive session--that chief counsel J. Lee Rankin said the bullet entered Kennedy's back below the shoulder blade. Rankin even referred to a picture (obviously one of the autopsy photos) which he said showed that "the bullet entered below the shoulder blade." But none of this matters to lone-gunman theorists, because they must cling to the absurd single-bullet theory since there can be no lone-gunman theory without it.

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread:

I think objective readers will notice that the WC apologists who are replying in this thread have no good answers for the powerful evidence against the neurospasm theory and the jet-effect theory. They can't even admit that the damage that the HSCA FPP said was done at T1 would have prevented the lightening-quick neuromuscular reaction that they say occurred. Nor will they acknowledge the readily observable fact that Kennedy's reaction to the headshot is nothing like the goat's reaction in the goat films, which makes the neurospasm theory downright silly from the get-go. And the specious nature of their position can be seen in the fact that in one breath they say that a bullet from behind pushed Kennedy's head forward by 0.6 to 2.3 inches in 40 milliseconds but that a bullet from the front could not have caused Kennedy's head to move backward to any degree.

So you believe that a bullet fired from the grassy knoll caused the "back and to the left" movement of President Kennedy?

Offline Brian Roselle

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »
Just a couple of comments I have on the jacket movement/shot timing.

Effectively what I think may have happened in such a scenario is any exiting chest debris as well as the jacket itself was immediately imparted with velocity as the bullet penetrated, but at a much slower velocity than the bullet (it doesn’t pick up near the full velocity of the bullet that just  transversed).  I don’t think it would wait for a while and then move.  The displacement as seen on film could be a function of the impacted material velocity, and how far it moved in one frame at its resultant velocity, and then the ability of the film/camera angle to show incremental position at resultant speed in one frame.

The right jacket area looked fully extended at z224, so if that is the result of the bullet’s imparted velocity on mass movement (chest debris or the jacket itself), the bullet transiting was a bit earlier.

The jacket may have been in its initial stages of motion as early as z223, but the displacement not quite great enough yet to readily pick out.

Of course this dynamic has been argued as speculative, but there is one other piece I observed that appears to be relevant or possibly supportive.

2 frames before the full jacket displacement at z224, at z222, I see the cuff of Connally’s white shirt of his right arm just a bit out from his suit jacket sleeve, visible just above the edge of the limo as his hand holds his hat.

In less than or equal to 55 ms, at z223, it appears to have been be driven down, totally out of view.

In the next frame at z224 the jacket flip becomes maximally visible. If his right wrist was struck violently in a downward manner by a bullet, might one expect the wrist to disappear from view in a manner like this very quickly?  If a bullet hit the wrist and drove it out of view between 222 and 223, the shot may actually have been triggered around z219 with the bullet approaching the limo ~z221?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »

The part of my reply that you edited out in such an heroic fashion referred to the jacket bulging and it was this part of my response I should have emphasised, it is this that demonstrates when the bullet has passed through both men:

Question: Should you critique the complete response or edit it to suit your own needs?
The only thing I edited out was a line that said “Hi Joe” and the following picture.

II edited this out because too many times, the same lines and the same pictures get presented over and over again, making harder to sift through for new information. I was not hiding evidence. You said this frame shows no reaction Connally’s face at z223. And I totally agreed, but pointed out that z222 is way to soon to rule out an impact at z222. I saw no reason to reproduce the same picture again when we both agree shows no reaction on Connally’s face.

I do edit responses, particularly pictures out, to keep the screen from being too cluttered. If I had disagreed with your assessment of z223, and claimed it did show a reaction on Connally’s face, I should have and would have shown the picture again so others and judge if you were right or I. But since we agree on the picture, I saw no need to show it once again.

I also like to break up others response, to make it clear exactly what paragraph, or even what sentence, I am responding to. This can be hard to tell in original posts that are more than a screen wide. To get the total context of what the original post was saying, viewers can easily go back to the original post which can be found easily, because I preserve the date and time of that post.

The jacket bulging is an instantaneous mechanical response to an impact. You talk about tests where the bullet passes straight through the jacket which then moves 100 milliseconds later. It is all based on the assumption that the bullet passed cleanly through the jacket. In your earlier post you claim the jacket is moved by the 'debris' that exits Connally's chest. So you are claiming the bullet passes through Connally and the jacket after which the 'debris' waits for 100 milliseconds before exiting:

The ‘debris did not wait for 100 milliseconds. It came flying out of the chest. Let’s speculate say the debris was going at 100 feet per second and travelled three inches before it struck the coat. That would take 2 to 3 milliseconds. For all practical purposes, striking the coat at 0/30 seconds after impact. Unlike the much faster moving bullet, the debris bounces off the coat, transferring its momentum to the coat, which over the next 100 milliseconds swings forward to its near maximum movement.

My claim that the bullet passed cleanly through the coat without pushing it much, is based on the real-world test conducted by Dr. Lattimer. If it was the slowed down bullet which pushed the coat, then the coat would have been observed to bulge at 0/30 of a second after impact, because the bullet struck the coat at 0/30 of a second after impact and did not bounce off. The velocity of the bullet at the time it impacted the wrist is estimated by ballistic expert Larry Sturdivan as 500 feet per second and was at least that fast when it passed through the coat. This sounds fast enough to slice through without transferring too much momentum.

I agree that it is speculation by Dr. Lattimer that it was the bone fragments and debris that moved the jacket, but it is reasonable speculation. The jacket did not move when the “Connally” model was shot without the “Kennedy” model, when the bullet travelled straight and little debris was ejected from the rib cage. But it did when the “Kennedy” model was also used, and large bone fragments were sent flying out of the rib cage. These caused large irregular holes in the model shirt, just as it did in Connally’s. It seems this debris is needed to move the coat several inches.

In any case, the bottom line is, the coat reached its maximum bulge after 3/30 of a second, not 0/30. It doesn’t matter why the coat moves, the key fact is that the coat is at, or very near, its maximum forward movement 100 milliseconds after impact.

Your armchair assumption that the coat would bulge 0 milliseconds after impact, so the bullet hit at z224, is no more valid that someone else’s armchair assumption that the bulge would occur 225 milliseconds after impact so the bullet hit 4 frames earlier at z220.

So, until some new real-world tests are run, like Dr. Lattimer’s, that comes up with a different result, frame 222 has to be considered the best estimate of when the bullet struck both men, at least for those who are guided by real-world tests.

Question: Do you see the corner you've painted yourself into?

I'm not saying you do, but if anyone believes CE 399 shattered Connally's wrist bone, the thick end of the radius, and came out looking like it did is suffering from 'Magical Thinking'. I accept that some kind of miraculous event may have possibly occurred but I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket. At the moment my intuition is telling me the bullet that passed through JFK and then shattered Connally's rib had lost enough momentum to have difficulty getting through Connally's jacket, causing it to bulge on contact - z224. I need to go to dodgytesting.com to find something that corroborates my hunch.

No, I have not painted myself into a corner. Millions of laymen who don’t conduct ballistic experiments have trouble believing CE-399 could have caused those wounds and ended up in fairly good shape. But ballistic experts like Larry Sturdivan, Luke Haag and Michael Haag, who conduct and are guided by real-world ballistic experiments have no problem believing this.

When I start using the opinions of the majority, who do not conduct scientific tests and ignore the opinion of experts who do run such tests and form their opinions based on them, then I’ll start questioning if CE-399 could have caused those wounds. And maybe start believing in Scientific Creationism.

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
Just a couple of comments I have on the jacket movement/shot timing.

Effectively what I think may have happened in such a scenario is any exiting chest debris as well as the jacket itself was immediately imparted with velocity as the bullet penetrated, but at a much slower velocity than the bullet (it doesn’t pick up near the full velocity of the bullet that just  transversed).  I don’t think it would wait for a while and then move.  The displacement as seen on film could be a function of the impacted material velocity, and how far it moved in one frame at its resultant velocity, and then the ability of the film/camera angle to show incremental position at resultant speed in one frame.

Exactly right. The coat starts to move as a result of the debris that hits it at z222. The right side of the coat is much heavier than the bullet. It is much heavier than the debris that bounces off it. So, it does not start moving with the speed of the bullet, or even the speed of the debris, but a much slower speed of maybe 3 mph, roughly. It starts moving at z222 and reaches its maximum forward movement by z224.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
ass arse
Sounds like a pirate... Arrrrrrgse....it's a Tyranno-sore-arse
LN = Lone nutter = Oswald did it alone
Here I thought the nutters were the ones who believe that.
CT = Conspiracy Theorists = AnyBodyButOswald = A gazillion conspiracy theories
It was a cover-up and that is no theory.