Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: JFK's Head Snap and the Implausible Jet-Effect and Neurospasm Theories  (Read 27908 times)

Offline Michael T. Griffith

Advertisement
Yes, but a Chief of Neuroradiology at John Hopkins won’t rank as high as a Professor of Psychology at Carleton University, in the opinion of Mr. Griffith, I bet. Heck, I doubt Dr. Hodges ranks as high as an entomologist. Dr. Hodges had an opinion that Mr. Griffith disagrees with, and that reason alone thoroughly discredits him.

When did Hodges and Lindenberg say these things?  They don't provide any supporting analysis or explanation. They just say it was an involuntary muscle extension/reflex movement. I'm guessing they didn't say a word about the problems that neuroscientists, physicists, pathologists, and medical doctors have pointed out with this theory.

JFK Assassination Forum

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Thorburn+position

Sigh. . . .  You, umm, you didn't bother to read any of the links I provided on Lattimer and the Thorburn position, did you?  Did you read any of the other links on Lattimer--how he falsified and/or misrepresented test data, for example?

You're not being honest with yourself or with us. Sturdivan specified that it took about 1 second from the time of the shot to the time that the goat reached decerebrate rigidity. The decerebrate rigidity being the terminus of the decerebrate reaction.

I'm not wasting any more time on this nonsense. I've already quoted several scholarly sources on the synonymous use of "decerebrate rigidity" and "decerebrate response." And I've already gone over Sturdivan's segment on the goat tests and the neurospasm theory three times now, almost line by line. And this is not to mention Dr. Thomas's demolition of Sturdivan's arguments on the subject.

It should first be noted that William Hoffman was a Physics Graduate student in the 1960’s. Perfectly competent to make estimates of movement from the Zapruder film. Making accurate estimates is just what a Physics Graduate student is supposed to be good at, and would have a lot of experience at this. He was hired by Josiah Thompson for this work because he had the skills, to make the measurements that he hoped would prove a frontal shooter, and publish this data in his upcoming book “Six Seconds in Dallas”. And Mr. Hoffman would almost certainly have been unaware of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis so he would not have been consciously or unconsciously adjusting his measurements to match it. It would impossible to find such an expert today that one was confident that he had not heard of this hypothesis and did not already have an opinion, one way or the other.

On the question of whether the neuromuscular spasm occurred, or not, my layman opinion is:

The Zapruder film shows it did.

As has been pointed out many times to you, Kennedy's reaction/movement is unlike anything we see in the goat's neurospasm reaction. So how on earth can you claim the Zapruder film "shows" JFK's backward movement was caused by neuromuscular reaction, especially given the fact that science tells us that human neurospasms involving similar movement cannot occur sooner than 100 milliseconds after stimulus?

Just because you want and need the neurospasm theory to be true does not remove the scientific and readily observable objections to the theory.

There is no other explanation for what it shows.

"No other explanation"??? Really? The HSCA FPP gave the jet-effect theory as its first explanation for JFK's movement, followed by the neurospasm theory, and then, to cover all bases, said both phenomena might have been involved. The FPP simply ignored the problem that there is no evidence that a human neurospasm involving the movement of that much weight could occur in 40 milliseconds.

And of course there are other explanations for JFK's movement, but your version of the assassination won't allow you to accept them. If the bullet that struck Connally in the back could push his right shoulder down and forward, a bullet could have caused JFK's head to move backward, as a long list of physicists have observed. Dr. James Riddle, who was a physicist at UCLA:

The motion of Kennedy’s body in frames 312-313 is totally inconsistent with the impact of a bullet from above and behind. Thus, the only reasonable conclusion consistent with the laws of physics is that the bullet was fired from a position forward and to the right of the President.

In the 1990s, I interviewed several aeronautical engineers about the jet-effect theory. They all thought it was laughable. And, of course, Dr. Chambers has demolished the jet-effect theory. Dr. Chambers has also established that the backward movement is consistent with a shot from the front, and Dr. Mantik, a highly qualified physicist in his own right, agrees that Dr. Chambers has showed this:

G. Paul Chambers has shown that JFK’s head snap is fully consistent with a frontal shot. (https://themantikview.com/pdf/Omissions_and_Miscalculations_of_Nicholas_Nalli.pdf)

Then, if we factor in the mountain of evidence that the Zapruder film has been altered, we can logically postulate that JFK's head movement was altered to remove visual indications of two bullet strikes--one moving his head forward and the other moving his head backward but to a lesser degree/less dramatically than we now see in the film.

1.The Head moves forward from z312-z313.
          Consistent with a bullet strike from behind. This can clearly be seen in the Zapruder film.
          It is impossible to tell if the head moved with constant momentum, because this movement
          does not last over one frame interval, but there is no reason to assume it didn’t, all followed
          the laws of conservation of momentum.
                    Not only is this what my layman eye shows me, but is what the careful measurements of
                    Physics graduate student William Hoffman show.

2. The Head starts moving back in the z313-z314.
          This shows the backwards movement started 40 to 80 milliseconds after the bullet impact. Consistent with the 1948 U. S. Army film of the goat, which Larry Sturdivant testified started moving after 40 milliseconds.
                    The careful measurements of Physics graduate student William Hoffman show the head started moving backwards one frame later.

3. The Head moves backwards from z313-z315, with ever increasing speed.
          This is not consistent with movement caused by a “push” from a bullet from the front,
          which should deposit all its momentum while within the head, within a one to two milliseconds,
          after which the head should move with constant momentum, not continuously pick up speed.
                    Not only is this what my layman eye shows me, but is what the careful measurements of
                    Physics graduate student William Hoffman show.

4. From z315-z318, President Kennedy’s right arm starts to move up.
          During this interval it moved up 6 inches at the elbow. It moved up 3 inches from z315-316. This movement
          Is consistent with a sudden speed upward of 3 mph was imparted to the right arm, and then was solely
          Under the influence of gravity, which should cause it to reach its apex during z318-z319, then fall down.
          This is exactly what the Zapruder film shows me. The Head moving back early, followed by the right arm,
          Is exactly what one would expect if the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis is true. The view of his left arm is
          blocked, so we cannot tell if it moved upwards as well, or was perhaps held down by Mrs. Kennedy, assisted
          by the weaker pair of muscles in President Kennedy which would try to pull the arm down.
                    William Hoffman did not comment on this movement, but it is clear for anyone to see in the
                    Zapruder film.

Right, so I guess you just don't care that Dr. Art Snyder, a physicist at the Stanford University Linear Accelerator Center, proved to Thompson's satisfaction that Hoffman's measurements were wrong? Does it matter to you that Dr. Snyder rejects the jet-effect theory for JFK's movement (1) based on the laws of physics and (2) based on his own experiments?

Clearly, if one is guided by what one sees in the Zapruder film, the muscles of the President were activated as a result of being shot in the head and are totally consistent with the Zapruder film

Whaaaat?! Again, do you have a copy of the Zapruder film that no one else has seen? What in the world are you talking about? Nothing like what you describe is seen in the Zapruder film that the rest of humanity has seen. In the rest of humanity's copy of the film, JFK's limbs don't splay, and his head moves before his shoulders move. As Henry Hurt noted,

A motion picture was shown of a goat being shot in the head, causing all the goat's muscles to go into a violent, involuntary spasm.  Clearly, this does not appear to be what happened to Kennedy, whose whole body appears to go limp as he is thrown backward. There is no splaying of his limbs, as in the shooting of the goat. (Reasonable Doubt, p. 130)

How can anyone reason with you when you keep pretending to see things that simply are not there?

, and not consistent with “simply physics” and “pushes” from bullets, unless there were a stream of bullets striking him in the head, one bullet per frame during z313-z318, plus another bullet from below striking the right elbow.

Yeah, uh-huh. Newton just got it wrong, huh? The bullet that struck Connally visibly pushed his right shoulder down, but the bullet that hit Kennedy's head from behind--abracadabra--pulled it backward! I guess you've already forgotten about the fact, which I personally pointed out to you, that Alvarez falsified his test data because the melons he shot kept being propelled in the same direction that the bullets were moving? (Gosh, who would have thunk it?) Remember that? You might also want to read Dr. Chambers' chapter on the backward head movement.

No one knows is that injury would prevent the neuromuscular spasm. My layman’s eye shows the elbows held very high immediately after z222, but gradually coming down by z312, showing the effects of this bullet was fading away within a few seconds, as sometimes happens after trauma to the spinal cord. Temporary paralysis is common in American football, which goes away in a minute or two, or longer.

The spinal cord was not severed. Tiny chips were dislodged from near the end of a thin fin of bone of one vertebra, but not severed. I don’t think Mr. Sturdivant claimed the President grasped at his throat. I’m sure he would go with Dr. Lattimer’s opinion, that President Kennedy was in the Thorburn position, immediately after the shot at z222. In my layman’s eye, this position was going away by z312, as trauma caused to the spinal cord can be temporary in some cases.

There is no way Dr. Thomas or anyone else can know this. It is impossible to say how much the spinal cord was damaged. It would be impossible to wound an animal, with the same amount of damage the President had at z222, because no one knows how much damage was caused, then see if the neuromuscular spasm occurs five seconds later with a shot through the brain. Dr Thomas is simply making unwarranted assumptions.

Oh. Come. On.  You must be kidding.  So the FRACTURE of the spine at T1, which is just below the base of the neck, would not have at least substantially hindered, if not prevented, a neuromuscular reaction involving the head and shoulders 5 seconds later???  Really??? Let's read the HSCA FPP's description of the damage again:

. . . the X-rays indicate that the missile track proceeds toward the midline of the body. This analysis is based on the fracture of the transverse process of T-1. . . . (7 HSCA 93)

(440) The panel agrees that the tissue disruption due to the temporary cavity created by passage of a high or intermediate velocity missile might have produced fractures of the transverse processes of one or several of the lower cervical and/or upper thoracic vertebrae in President Kennedy's neck, as indicated by the postmortem X-rays. There are significant muscle masses attached to the vertebrae which would receive tremendous shock, even if several inches distant from such a missile. A direct grazing missile impact may have occurred, but it would not have been necessary to cause the damage visible in the X-rays. (7 HSCA 171)

IOW, the shock received from the shock wave caused by the bullet's impact and penetration could have fractured T1 even if it didn't hit, and the "significant muscles" attached to the vertebrae in that region received a "tremendous shock" even if several inches from the missile itself.

And you're telling me with a straight fact that the spinal cord suffered little or no damage from all this?

Dr. Thomas is not making any "unwarranted assumptions." He is basing his observation on the damage to the spine that the HSCA FPP identified and described and on the medical scientific fact that neuromuscular reactions require a functioning spinal cord. A spinal cord in a spine that has just suffered a FRACTURE at T1, as well as the other damage to the area described by the FPP, is not going to be capable of producing a violent neurospasm that throws the head and shoulders backward, especially not in the impossible timeframe of 40 milliseconds after bullet impact.

We both know that the real problem is that your theory of the assassination requires you to peddle these “bizarre and implausible” theories, as Dr. Chambers has called them.

Dr. Lattimer had superior training, and superior experience treating wounded soldiers, then either Dr. Zacharko or Dr. Thomas, on dealing with the question of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis.

LOL! You’re citing Lattimer as your authority on this?! Oh. My. Goodness. Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. This is clown material.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:45:24 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Joe Elliott

As has been pointed out many times to you, Kennedy's reaction/movement is unlike anything we see in the goat's neurospasm reaction.

Not exactly like the goat film. The goat is, after all, a quadruped. Standing in a regular quadruped posture. With its head locked into place.

But in other ways, similar. Both body movements are consistent with the hypothesis that a spurious message to contract was sent down the spinal cord to all the muscles, with the stronger muscles winning out.

Hence, for the goat, the forelegs kicked forward and out. The hindlimbs kicked straight back. And the back arched. The head failed to go up and back, but it was locked into place. And this movement started 40 milliseconds after impact.

For the President, the head went back, the torso went back, the right arm, and maybe the left, went up. And this movement started after roughly 55 milliseconds, somewhere in the 40 to 80 millisecond range. Hard to tell because the Zapruder film was not shot at 2,400 frames per second.

All and all, strikingly similar.

So how on earth can you claim the Zapruder film "shows" JFK's backward movement was caused by neuromuscular reaction, especially given the fact that science tells us that human neurospasms involving similar movement cannot occur sooner than 100 milliseconds after stimulus?

There has never been an experiment that timed the “neuromuscular spasm” in a human. So, it has never been timed as taking 100 milliseconds. A neuromuscular spasm can only happen, as far as I know, by a bullet through the brain. With a goat, which has been filmed, the motion started 40 milliseconds after impact. I have never heard that nerve impulses travel much faster through goats than humans. I am pretty sure the speeds would be similar, since both are mammals.

Question:

Can you site an experiment with a human being where a “neuromuscular spasm” was induced by a rifle bullet and was found to start after 100 milliseconds?

Where was this experiment conducted? What year? Who were the observers?

I don’t think you can, because you just made up the 100 milliseconds. So, I expect you to dodge this question. Or to cite experiments that did not involve rifle bullets.

Again, I’m not interested in the timing of reactions that are not caused by a rifle bullet traveling through the brain. How fast a human reacts to vision, to hearing, from touch, none of these matters. Only reactions caused by a bullet through the brain. All answers have to be based on real world experiments of this nature, either with a human or an animal. Armchair opinions on this matter are worthless, no matter how many degrees this armchair theorist holds.

"No other explanation"??? Really? The HSCA FPP gave the jet-effect theory as its first explanation for JFK's movement, followed by the neurospasm theory, and then, to cover all bases, said both phenomena might have been involved. The FPP simply ignored the problem that there is no evidence that a human neurospasm involving the movement of that much weight could occur in 40 milliseconds.

Neither the “Jet Effect” nor the “Frontal Bullet” hypothesis work because of the quarter second acceleration of JFK’s head from z313-z318.

As one can see studying the Zapruder films, frame by frame.

https://www.assassinationresearch.com/zfilm/

The President’s head starts moving backwards after z313, through z314, through z315, but its initially moving so slowly, it does reach the z312 position until z316.

As one can also see in William Hoffman’s data when he carefully analyzed the film back in 1966. The head starts backwards at a slow speed, around 0.5 mph, and gradually builds up to 1.9 mph by z-318.

https://archive.org/details/SixSecondsInDallas/page/n103/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/SixSecondsInDallas/page/n290/mode/2up

And of course there are other explanations for JFK's movement, but your version of the assassination won't allow you to accept them. If the bullet that struck Connally in the back could push his right shoulder down and forward, a bullet could have caused JFK's head to move backward, as a long list of physicists have observed. Dr. James Riddle, who was a physicist at UCLA:

A bullet from the front will deposit momentum to the head. But it will only do so while it is in the head. Once it leaves the head, no more momentum is added to the head. The bullet will travel through the head for only 1 to 2 milliseconds. So, the period of acceleration is only 1 to 2 milliseconds, not 250 milliseconds. Which rules out the “Frontal Bullet Push” hypothesis.

And for similar reasons, rules out the “Jet Effect”.

And the acceleration of the car, which did take place, is about one-tenth of the acceleration of the head, so this cannot be the explanation either.

A frontal bullet pushing the President’s head backwards? I have no problem with. A frontal bullet pushing the President’s head backwards, and keeping adding more and more speed to the head over a quarter of a second? That I have a problem with.

In the 1990s, I interviewed several aeronautical engineers about the jet-effect theory. They all thought it was laughable. And, of course, Dr. Chambers has demolished the jet-effect theory.

Really? Laughable? Even after seeing the videos of taped melons being blasted backwards, back toward the direction the bullet came from? I wouldn’t want to fly in any planes designed by these “laughing” engineers. I wonder if any of them were involved with the Boeing 737 Max.

Question:
If the Jet Effect Theory is false, if it can never happen, how do you explain taped melons heading back toward the direction of the rifle that shot it?

First, regarding John Lattimer, I wholly concur with what Milicent Cranor said about him recently in her critique of Nicholas Nalli's attempt to resurrect the jet-effect theory:

On 13 separate instances, Nalli refers to the work of the late John K. Lattimer, MD, who spent decades using fraudulent means to prove the conclusions of the Warren Commission. His demonstrations of the jet effect and the single bullet theory were so amateurish they would have been scorned as junior high school science projects. . . .

Before getting into Lattimer’s own jet effect, you may wish to see something more immediately comprehensible. The scam revealed below was designed to solve the big problem concerning the location of Kennedy’s back wound: according to clear photographic evidence, it was too low to comport with the single-bullet theory. A bullet from the sixth floor of the Depository Building (the “sniper’s nest”) would not have been able to enter that low, then go up to exit Kennedy’s throat, which was at a higher level. And if it did not exit the throat, this would have to mean the throat wound was caused by a bullet coming from the front. So Lattimer created a model of a skeleton showing the bullet entering several inches higher than it actually did. . . . [even several inches higher than it appears in the autopsy photo of the back]

Lattimer said the largest bone fragment “exploded upward and forward due to the power of this destructive bullet and was forced 40 feet in the air by the explosion of the brain.”

Fact: That large fragment, along with two smaller ones, was found in the back of Kennedy’s limousine. Its journey was only in inches, not feet. You can see it on Kennedy’s right shoulder in the famous Moorman Polaroid photo. And, in several frames of the Zapruder film, you can watch as it makes its way down Kennedy’s back. Secret Service Agent Clint Hill, famous for leaping upon the limousine to protect Mrs. Kennedy, saw a large fragment detach from Kennedy’s head. . . .

Lattimer said that in all experiments, his and those performed by the Army for the Warren Commission, there was a “complete separation” of the copper shell and the lead core, which is what he claims happened to the bullet that hit JFK in the head. 

Fact: The bullet alleged to have hit JFK in the head broke into two fragments — and both were jacketed. (https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/05/31/scientist-neutralizes-jfks-back-and-to-the-left-or-does-he/)

Second, and to my main point, I am undecided about the degree, if any, of forward movement of JFK's head in Z312-313. I know that Josiah Thompson really wanted to believe that the head moves forward by 2.3 inches in 40 milliseconds in Z312-313, because he correctly viewed the movement as potential evidence of two nearly simultaneous head shots, one from the rear followed a split-second later by one from the front. But Dr. Snyder eventually convinced Thompson that this does not occur. On the other hand, Dr. Chambers believes the head does move forward in Z312-313.

Personally, I would love to see convincing evidence that the forward head movement is real and that its speed is at least close to the speed measured by Hoffman (2.3 inches/40 milliseconds). Such a movement would make the already silly neurospasm and jet-effect theories even more ludicrous, and would also constitute strong evidence of alteration in the Zapruder film.

In any event, we know that the bullet that struck JFK in the back of the head was not the kind of bullet that Oswald allegedly used. Oswald supposedly used 6.5 mm ammo, but the rear head entry wound was only 6.0 mm wide. The WC tried to explain away the physical impossibility of a bullet creating an entry wound smaller than its own diameter by claiming that the smaller entrance wound resulted from the “elastic recoil of the skull which shrinks the size of an opening after a missile passes through it"! One can only wonder why this amazing "elastic recoil" of skull bone did not occur in the WC's own ballistics tests conducted by Dr. Alfred Olivier.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:04:58 AM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Tim Nickerson

First, regarding John Lattimer, I wholly concur with what Milicent Cranor said about him recently in her critique of Nicholas Nalli's attempt to resurrect the jet-effect theory:

Second, and to my main point, I am undecided about the degree, if any, of forward movement of JFK's head in Z312-313. I know that Josiah Thompson really wanted to believe that the head moves forward by 2.3 inches in 40 milliseconds in Z312-313, because he correctly viewed the movement as potential evidence of two nearly simultaneous head shots, one from the rear followed a split-second later by one from the front. But Dr. Snyder eventually convinced Thompson that this does not occur. On the other hand, Dr. Chambers believes the head does move forward in Z312-313.

Personally, I would love to see convincing evidence that the forward head movement is real and that its speed is at least close to the speed measured by Hoffman (2.3 inches/40 milliseconds). Such a movement would make the already silly neurospasm and jet-effect theories even more ludicrous, and would also constitute strong evidence of alteration in the Zapruder film.

In any event, we know that the bullet that struck JFK in the back of the head was not the kind of bullet that Oswald allegedly used. Oswald supposedly used 6.5 mm ammo, but the rear head entry wound was only 6.0 mm wide. The WC tried to explain away the physical impossibility of a bullet creating an entry wound smaller than its own diameter by claiming that the smaller entrance wound resulted from the “elastic recoil of the skull which shrinks the size of an opening after a missile passes through it"! One can only wonder why this amazing "elastic recoil" of skull bone did not occur in the WC's own ballistics tests conducted by Dr. Alfred Olivier.

Milicent Cranor is bitter hag. And a screwball.

The forward movement of the head is an established and irrefutable fact.

The 6 mm wide dimension was of the wound in the scalp, not the skull. That wound was a laceration. A tear. No dimensions were given for the entry wound in the skull.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:29:54 AM by Tim Nickerson »

Offline John Mytton

Question:
If the Jet Effect Theory is false, if it can never happen, how do you explain taped melons heading back toward the direction of the rifle that shot it?

Griffith seems to be able to dig up any number of "experts" to support any and every argument but unfortunately they mostly seem to be wrong.

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Tim Nickerson

Griffith seems to be able to dig up any number of "experts" to support any and every argument but unfortunately they mostly seem to be wrong.

JohnM

Those GIFs are fake.  ;D