Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: JFK's Head Snap and the Implausible Jet-Effect and Neurospasm Theories  (Read 27632 times)

Offline Tim Nickerson

Advertisement
Yes. I was puzzled about how a neuroscientist, or any scientist, could say the neuromuscular spasm couldn’t happen. With the proper scientific attitude, when asked “Could a neuromuscular spasm happen in a human”, he would in turn ask “What do films say”. When the answer was “We don’t have any such films and cannot obtain any”, the next question the scientist would ask was “What do films of animals show”. If the such films showed no reaction, he might say a neuromuscular spasm was unlikely, or might still withhold judgement. But if the films do show that animals have a neuromuscular spasm, a true scientist would either say “A neuromuscular spasm would likely occur in humans as well”, or perhaps “I still prefer to withhold judgement”, but certainly not “A neuromuscular spasm could never take place in a human, only in non-human animals”. There would be no basis for such an opinion.

However, a Psychology professor might come away with a different opinion. After looking at the film, I sense a certain frustration in the goat. It was as if, no matter how hard he tried, he was never able to meet his parents expectations. This built in frustration could release itself violently, if shot in the head. However, JFK showed no such signs of similar feelings toward his parents. I think Dr. Zacharko must have come to similar conclusions.

;D

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Michael T. Griffith

When am I going to learn not to trust what a CTer tells me?

Dr. Robert Zacharko – Neuroscientist ? ! ? ! ?

What information do I find about Dr. Zacharko on the internet:

Robert M. Zacharko, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario Canada

By the way, Dr. Zacharko passed away at the age of 63 on January 4, 2016.

The website for the Carleton Institute of Neuroscience says:

http://www3.carleton.ca/calendars/archives/grad/9798/SCIENCE/Institute_of_Neuroscience.htm

It would appear that Dr. Zacharko concentrated on behavioural studies, hence his working for the university as a Professor of Psychology.

It doesn’t sound like he was specializing in studying the nitty ditty details of what can cause neurons to fire.

But I suppose it doesn’t matter. Nervous System Researchers, Psychologists, doctors who specialize in treating nasal infections, there all head doctors, right? That makes them all neuroscientists.

Just how shoddy can your research be? FYI, Dr. Zacharko received his PhD specializing in the study of neuroscience, and as a professor he taught neuroscience. I quote from his obituary in the Montreal Gazette:

Robert Michael Zacharko, 63, of Ottawa, Ontario, passed away on Monday, January 4, 2016 following a long illness. Bob was born April 13, 1952 in Montréal, Quebec to Nicolas and Olga Zacharko (nee Wishnoska). He finished his secondary studies at Cardinal Newman High School and went on to complete his undergraduate degree at Concordia University in Montreal. Post-graduate studies followed at University of Saskatoon where he received his doctorate specializing in the study of neuroscience. He finished his career as a Professor in the Department of Psychology at Carleton University. Bob was an active teacher and researcher throughout his career, introducing thousands of students to the study of neuroscience and guiding many through their undergraduate and graduate thesis projects. (https://montrealgazette.remembering.ca/obituary/robert-zacharko-1066570676)

Perhaps this is why so many peer-reviewed journals published articles on neuroscience written by Dr. Zacharko:

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/38179926_Robert_M_Zacharko

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2004.03704.x

And Dr. Donald Thomas? Well, insects have heads. So, I guess that makes him a neuroscientist as well.

Humm, well, you guys have had no problem citing scholars who were commenting on subjects outside their PhD major. Numerous pro-WC books and articles cite the research of John Lattimer on ballistics and forensic issues, even though Lattimer was a urologist by training.

And just in this thread, you guys have cited Sturdivan, a ballistics guy, on issues relating to anatomy and neuroscience.

Your and Nickerson's answer to Dr. Thomas's factual observations about the errors that Sturdivan made on anatomy and neuroscience is to dismiss his observations because Dr. Thomas is an entomologist.

So is Dr. Thomas wrong when he notes that "in any normal person the antagonistic muscles of the limbs are balanced, and regardless of the relative size of the muscles, the musculature is arranged to move the limbs upward, outward, and forward"? Is he wrong when he points out that "Backward extension of the limbs is unnatural and awkward, certainly not reflexive"? Is he wrong when he observes that "the largest muscle in the back, the erector spinae, functions exactly as its name implies, keeping the spinal column straight and upright" and that "Neither the erector spinae or any other muscles in the back are capable of causing a backward lunge of the body by their contraction"? WHY is he wrong? On what basis do you say that he is wrong and that Sturdivan is right on these issues?

And is Dr. Thomas wrong when, citing a classic study on human motor reflexes, he points out that:

The classic work of the English physiologist Denny-Brown on motor reflexes explained that decerebrate rigidity, also called the “stretch” reflex, is secured by a slow contraction process of the extensor muscles. It is a function of the spinal cord and is a postural reflex, which is to say that as the motor control centers in the brain stem receive feedback indicating a sagging of the body, it induces a reflexive stiffening of the trunk and limbs to break the fall. The arching of the back and agonistic outstretching of the limbs characterizes this response. President Kennedy did not react in this way.

WHY is Dr. Thomas wrong and Sturdivan right on this issue? Just because you wish it were so? How can you get on a public board and with a straight face claim that Kennedy reacted by "arching of the back and agonistic outstretching of the limbs"? Dr. Thomas is right: Kennedy's reaction does not resemble a decerebrate response. If you insist on claiming that Dr. Thomas is wrong about this, you must have a version of the Zapruder film that no one else has seen.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:51:00 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

Offline Joe Elliott

Just how shoddy can your research be? FYI, Dr. Zacharko received his PhD specializing in the study of neuroscience, and as a professor he taught neuroscience. I quote from his obituary in the Montreal Gazette:

Perhaps this is why so many peer-reviewed journals published articles on neuroscience written by Dr. Zacharko:

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/38179926_Robert_M_Zacharko

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2004.03704.x

Dr. Zacharko can be called a neuroscientist because any professor of psychology can be called a neuroscientist. But I don’t think a “professor of psychology” is what pops into someone’s mind when you say “neuroscientist”.

As the Carleton University website says:

Neuroscience is an emerging academic discipline that includes physiological, anatomical, biochemical, and behavioural studies of the nervous system

There are 4 disciplines that neuroscience covers:

1.   Physiological studies.
2.   Anatomical studies.
3.   Biochemical studies.
4.   Behavioral studies.

Of the four, Behavioral studies is the least useful field of study on forming an opinion of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis.

So, yes, while by convention, a professor of psychology is considered to be a “neuroscientist”, he is not really the appropriate type of scientist to go to for getting an answer to this question.

Humm, well, you guys have had no problem citing scholars who were commenting on subjects outside their PhD major. Numerous pro-WC books and articles cite the research of John Lattimer on ballistics and forensic issues, even though Lattimer was a urologist by training.

A urologist is also a real medical doctor. He has the full training any other medical doctors has in treating all sorts of problems, including wounds. And so, even though he was a “urologist”, he was drafted by the U. S. Army, served a doctor with the Third army and treated many casualties, many, no doubt from bullet wounds.

The Kennedy family chose him to make the first nongovernmental examination of the Kennedy autopsy material. No doubt, in part, due to his extensive experience in treating bullet wounds. He had more experience with this than most non-urologist doctors.

I wouldn’t have a problem with Dr. Zacharko if he had just observed film of animals being shot in the brain with rifle bullets. But as far as I can tell, he did none of those things. As far as I know, he was just a professor of psychology. In contrast, Dr. Lattimer did have extensive experience with bullet wounds and had the sort of experiences useful in examining the assassination case.

Indeed, I would give more weight to a professor of psychology, who bases his opinion on observations of real animals being shot through the brain over a neurologist who specializes in Biochemical studies of nerves, but does not observe these films, but forms his opinions purely from theory.

And just in this thread, you guys have cited Sturdivan, a ballistics guy, on issues relating to anatomy and neuroscience.

Who gets his arguments from doctors, like Dr. Lattimer. On this issue, Larry Sturdivan’s opinions are those of Dr. Lattimer’s. I trust Dr. Lattimer’s opinion over that of Dr. Thomas, an entomologist, and over Dr. Zacharko, an professor of psychology.

Yes, if these opinions were first developed by Mr. Sturdivan, I would say he is developing opinions way outside of his area of expertise. But there is nothing wrong with him relating to us the opinions developed by Dr. Lattimer.

A quote from Dr. Lattimer on the neuromuscular spasm:

The body then stiffens with the strongest muscles predominating. These are the muscles of the back and neck. Since these are the back muscles and the muscles of the back of the neck, the neck arches, the back arches, and the body stiffens into an archlike configuration; upper limbs react next.

Dr. Thomas is right: Kennedy's reaction does not resemble a decerebrate response. If you insist on claiming that Dr. Thomas is wrong about this, you must have a version of the Zapruder film that no one else has seen.

No, the decerebrate response is the final posture an animal gets into, with certain types of brain damage. For an animal shot through the brain:
1.   First the neuromuscular spasm occurs. For a quadraped:
Head pulled upward (when not locked in place)
The back arches
The forelimbs kick forward and outward.
The hindlimbs kick backwards.
2.   Followed by the “decerebrate rigidity”, a certain posture an animal ends up in, caused by certain types of brain damage.

You keep confusing “decerebrate response” with “neuromuscular spasm”.

As Mr. Sturdivan explained, the goat went into a neuromuscular spasm starting 40 milliseconds after the impact of the bullet. By one second after the impact, the animal was in decerebrate rigidity, which is a certain body position, its final body position now that death had occurred.

No one is claiming that the President moving his head back, moving his torso back, moving his arms up, as an example of him getting into the decerebrate rigidity position. Instead this is the first phase, the neuromuscular spasm.

JFK Assassination Forum

Dr. Zacharko can be called a neuroscientist because any professor of psychology can be called a neuroscientist. But I don’t think a “professor of psychology” is what pops into someone’s mind when you say “neuroscientist”.

As the Carleton University website says:

Neuroscience is an emerging academic discipline that includes physiological, anatomical, biochemical, and behavioural studies of the nervous system

There are 4 disciplines that neuroscience covers:

1.   Physiological studies.
2.   Anatomical studies.
3.   Biochemical studies.
4.   Behavioral studies.

Of the four, Behavioral studies is the least useful field of study on forming an opinion of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis.

So, yes, while by convention, a professor of psychology is considered to be a “neuroscientist”, he is not really the appropriate type of scientist to go to for getting an answer to this question.

It seems you go to extreme lengths to salvage errant claims, rather than just admit you were wrong. I notice you said nothing about all the articles that Dr. Zacharko had published on neuroscience, many of which dealt with brain functions, brain anatomy, neural responses to stimuli, biochemical processes in the brain, etc., etc. You just skipped over that fact.

When Dr. Zacharko was a professor at The Carleton Institute of Neuroscience, here are some of the classes that were offered that were classified as psychology classes:

Psychology 49.520T2 (PSY6201)
Basics of Neuroscience
A comprehensive neuroscience course from membrane and cellular levels to neural systems and behaviour. Lectures and tutorials will cover such aspects of neuroscience as neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, behavioural neuroscience, and neuropharmacology.

Psychology 49.620T2
Advanced Seminar in Neuroscience
A comprehensive proseminar covering specialized topics in neuroscience and biopsychology. The presentations will focus on the active research areas and interests of faculty members and will provide an in-depth coverage of research strategies, methods and results. Graduate student presentations of current research projects will be an integral part of the course.

These two biology classes were also offered as psychology classes:

Biology 61.623F1
Neuroscience Techniques I
Completion of a research project carried out under the supervision of a neuroscience faculty member.  Students may carry out their project in any department participating in the neuroscience specialization provided they have approval from the administrative head of their particular program. For example, students in the neuroscience specialization must obtain approval from the neuroscience committee.  Students in the biopsychology concentration must obtain approval from the Department of Psychology. The purpose of the course is to grant credit for learning new research techniques.
(Also offered as Psychology 49.624)

Biology 61.624W1
Neuroscience Techniques II
Completion of a research project carried out under the supervision of a neuroscience faculty member.  Students may carry out their project in any department participating in the neuroscience specialization provided they have approval from the administrative head of their particular program. For example, students in the neuroscience specialization must obtain approval from the neuroscience committee.  Students in the biopsychology concentration must obtain approval from the Department of Psychology. The purpose of the course is to grant credit for learning new research techniques.
(Also offered as Psychology 49.625)

See: http://www3.carleton.ca/calendars/archives/grad/9798/SCIENCE/Institute_of_Neuroscience.htm

A urologist is also a real medical doctor. He has the full training any other medical doctors has in treating all sorts of problems, including wounds. And so, even though he was a “urologist”, he was drafted by the U. S. Army, served a doctor with the Third army and treated many casualties, many, no doubt from bullet wounds.

The Kennedy family chose him to make the first nongovernmental examination of the Kennedy autopsy material. No doubt, in part, due to his extensive experience in treating bullet wounds. He had more experience with this than most non-urologist doctors.

Lattimer was a fraud who was repeatedly caught misrepresenting his findings and experiments, misrepresenting his sources, rigging his experiments, making erroneous statements, and in a few cases simply making up stuff out of thin air, e.g., his hoax about the Thorburn position.

http://www.assassinationweb.com/milam-thor.htm
https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/john-lattimer-never-quit-the-thorburn-business
https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/thomas-lattimer-and-reality-a-study-in-contrasts
https://www.history-matters.com/essays/jfkmed/BigLieSmallWound/BigLieSmallWound.htm
http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/L%20Disk/Lattimer%20John%20Dr/Item%2003.pdf
http://22november1963.org.uk/governor-john-connally-lapel-flap

I wouldn’t have a problem with Dr. Zacharko if he had just observed film of animals being shot in the brain with rifle bullets. But as far as I can tell, he did none of those things.

Dr. Zacharko didn't need to watch the goat films because they are irrelevant to the assassination, because human brains are not goat brains, because human anatomy is different from goat anatomy, and because JFK's reaction to the head shot looks nothing like the goat's reaction to its head shot. Why do you keep ignoring these facts?

Dr. Zacharko analyzed Kennedy's reaction based on his knowledge of how the human brain functions and on his knowledge of what physical responses the human brain would and would not cause. Why do you keep ignoring this fact? He did not analyze it from a ballistics point of view, but as a neuroscientist, since he was asked about the neuromuscular-reaction theory.

Indeed, I would give more weight to a professor of psychology, who bases his opinion on observations of real animals being shot through the brain over a neurologist who specializes in Biochemical studies of nerves, but does not observe these films, but forms his opinions purely from theory.

Are you ever, ever, ever going to address the point, made by several scholars, that the goat films are irrelevant for the reasons already stated, the same reasons that have been presented to you four or five times now? Ignoring them will not make them go away.

Even the HSCA's forensic pathology panel noted that Kennedy’s reaction looked nothing like the goat’s reaction in the goat films.

Who gets his arguments from doctors, like Dr. Lattimer. On this issue, Larry Sturdivan’s opinions are those of Dr. Lattimer’s. I trust Dr. Lattimer’s opinion over that of Dr. Thomas, an entomologist, and over Dr. Zacharko, an professor of psychology.

Of course you do, because Lattimer said what you want to believe. You don't care that Lattimer and Sturdivan had no training in neuroscience, whereas Dr. Zacharko had tons of such training and also taught classes on neuroscience.

Dr. Thomas has watched all of the goat films and has explained in great detail why they are irrelevant, and he supports his explanation with research from a classic work on motor reflexes.

I notice you declined to explain why you claim that Dr. Thomas's observations in his critique of Sturdivan's claims are wrong. Will you ever explain why you claim Dr. Thomas is wrong and Sturdivan is right?

Yes, if these opinions were first developed by Mr. Sturdivan, I would say he is developing opinions way outside of his area of expertise. But there is nothing wrong with him relating to us the opinions developed by Dr. Lattimer.

No, the decerebrate response is the final posture an animal gets into, with certain types of brain damage. For an animal shot through the brain:
The back arches
2.   Followed by the “decerebrate rigidity”, a certain posture an animal ends up in, caused by certain types of brain damage.

I have already quoted several scholarly sources on the fact that "decerebrate response" and "decerebrate rigidity" are synonyms. Did you miss that reply? In fact, heck, let's read those quotes again:

"Decerebrate posturing is also called decerebrate response, decerebrate rigidity, or extensor posturing. It describes the involuntary extension of the upper extremities in response to external stimuli." (http://web.as.uky.edu/biology/faculty/cooper/bio535/chapter%2016-liz.pdf)

"In decerebrate posturing (also called decerebrate response or rigidity), the abnormal posturing is characterized by the arms extending at the sides." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547687/)

"Decerebrate posturing is also called decerebrate response, decerebrate rigidity, or extensor posturing." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abnormal_posturing)

"Also known as extensor posturing, decerebrate rigidity is a term that describes the involuntary extensor positioning of the arms, flexion of the hands, with knee extension and plantar flexion when stimulated as a result of a midbrain lesion." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547687/)

Are you saying that those neuroscientific sources are wrong and that Dr. Lattimer was right? On what basis? Because you don't want to admit that Lattimer was wrong?

You know that's false, or else you can't read. As I've pointed out three or four times now, not all neuromuscular reactions are decerebrate reactions, but Sturdivan identified JFK's alleged neuromuscular reaction as a decerebrate reaction. I've already gone over this ground for you in detail and quoted Sturdivan several times in the process.

I guess you want everyone to forget that at the outset of our discussion, you did not understand that Sturdivan was saying that the neuromuscular reaction was a decerebrate reaction. You erroneously assumed that Sturdivan was describing two sets of reactions, that the decerebrate reaction was separate from the neuromuscular one, that the decerebrate reaction followed the neuromuscular one.

As Mr. Sturdivan explained, the goat went into a neuromuscular spasm starting 40 milliseconds after the impact of the bullet.

Sturdivan specified that in "real time" the reaction took about 1 second. You can keep ignoring this fact all day and night, and you can keep citing the 40-millisecond time, but when are you going to deal with the fact that the fastest human reaction time for human movements that are even halfway equivalent to the goat's movements is 100 milliseconds?

And shall we mention again that the goat's reaction looks nothing like Kennedy's reaction? Sorry, but I'm going to just keep hammering this fact, because you keep ignoring it.

By one second after the impact, the animal was in decerebrate rigidity, which is a certain body position, its final body position now that death had occurred.

You're misreading Sturdivan again because you don't know what you're talking about, or else you're mischaracterizing him to avoid admitting error.  Shall we read Sturdivan yet again? How many times do you need this explained to you? And, before I quote Sturdivan again, allow me to note that Sturdivan, unlike you, at least understood that "decerebrate rigidity" and "decerebrate reaction/response" are synonyms:

The first sequence will be a normal 24-frame-per-second view of this. This is a real time. First, we will observe the neuromuscular reaction, the goat will collapse then, and by the wiggling of his tail and the tenseness of the muscles we will see what I think has sometimes been called the decerebrate rigidity, and that takes place about a second after the shot and then slowly dissipates and you will see the goat slump, obviously dead.

The decerebrate reaction and terminus of the decerebrate reaction (1 HSCA 416).

Two paragraphs later, Sturdivan then describes this reaction again and calls it "the neuromuscular reaction that I described." The only reaction he described is the decerebrate reaction two paragraphs earlier. Anyone reading his statements honestly and objectively can plainly see that he was saying that Kennedy's alleged neurospasm was a decerebrate reaction.

No one is claiming that the President moving his head back, moving his torso back, moving his arms up, as an example of him getting into the decerebrate rigidity position. Instead this is the first phase, the neuromuscular spasm.

You either still don't know what you're talking about or you're just not willing to admit error. Go back and read my quotes herein from several scholarly sources on the fact that "decerebrate rigidity" means the same thing as "decerebrate response" and on the fact that the two terms are used interchangeably in scientific literature.

It's bad enough that you keep ignoring documented facts, but it's even worse that you keep repeating erroneous claims that have been debunked by those documented facts.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:00:03 AM by Michael T. Griffith »

Offline Tim Nickerson

The back arches

I don't recall Sturdivan using the term “decerebrate response”.  He did seem to be using decerebrate reaction synonymously with neuromuscular reaction. To me, response and reaction have the same meaning. I think that you may be erroneously equating “decerebrate response” with "decerebrate rigidity".

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Tim Nickerson

Lattimer was a fraud who was repeatedly caught misrepresenting his findings and experiments, misrepresenting his sources, rigging his experiments, making erroneous statements, and in a few cases simply making up stuff out of thin air, e.g., his hoax about the Thorburn position.

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Thorburn+position

It seems that Lattimer has got the last laugh. Lattimer was not wrong. He wasn't perfect but he wasn't the shyster that you claim him to be.

Sturdivan specified that in "real time" the reaction took about 1 second. You can keep ignoring this fact all day and night, and you can keep citing the 40-millisecond time, but when are you going to deal with the fact that the fastest human reaction time for human movements that are even halfway equivalent to the goat's movements is 100 milliseconds?

You're not being honest with yourself or with us. Sturdivan specified that it took about 1 second from the time of the shot to the time that the goat reached decerebrate rigidity. The decerebrate rigidity being the terminus of the decerebrate reaction.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:57:50 AM by Tim Nickerson »

In his book Reasonable Doubt: An Investigation into the Assassination of John F. Kennedy, investigative journalist and Rockefeller Foundation scholar Henry Hurt discussed the neuromuscular-reaction theory and, as so many other scholars have done, observed that the reaction of the goat in the goat films does not resemble JFK’s reaction to the head shot. He also noted that the HSCA seemed divided and uncertain about the neurospasm theory:

By 1975, when a copy of the Zapruder film was shown on national television, the violent rearward head-snap at last had to be given some official explanation. The HSCA addressed the question and heard expert testimony that the motion of Kennedy's body could have been a neurological spasm. According to the Select Committee report, the expert concluded that "nerve damage from a bullet entering the President's head could have caused his back muscles to tighten which, in turn, could have caused his head to move toward the rear." A motion picture was shown of a goat being shot in the head, causing all the goat's muscles to go into a violent, involuntary spasm. Clearly, this does not appear to be what happened to Kennedy, whose whole body appears to go limp as he is thrown backward. There is no splaying of his limbs, as in the shooting of the goat.

The HSCA also turned to its medical panel for an explanation, but the answer there was far from satisfactory. The doctors even suggested the fallacy of the goat experiments, stating, "It would be reasonable to expect that all [the President's] muscles would be similarly stimulated." It is obvious to any viewer that the President's muscles were not in any state of spasmodic stimulation.

In the end, the HSCA could not offer any sure explanation for the violent backward head-snap. The committee's report stated that "the rearward movement of the President's head would not be fundamentally inconsistent with a bullet striking from the rear.”

A weaker statement of explanation is hard to imagine. (Reasonable Doubt, pp. 129-130)

The HSCA’s forensic pathology panel (FPP), in very guarded language, acknowledged (1) that the Sherrington neuromuscular reaction that Sturdivan advanced and supported with the goat films usually did not occur until several minutes after brain damage/bullet impact, and (2) that the interval between bullet impact and Kennedy’s reaction was a fraction of a second. The panel offered the jet-effect theory as the first explanation for JFK’s backward movement, but gave the neuromuscular-reaction theory as an alternative explanation, and then, to cover all bases, said the backward movement could have been caused by a mix of the two:

(456) The panel is aware of the time interval between the backward motion of the President's head and the earlier, slight forward motion, possibly caused by the initial missile impact and transfer of energy to the head, as recorded in frames 313-314 of the Zapruder film. The panel further recognizes the possibility of the body stiffening, with an upward and backward lunge, which might have resulted from a massive downward rush of neurologic stimuli to all efferent nerves (those which stimulate muscles). The disparity in mass and strength between those muscles supporting the body on the back (dorsal surface) of the spine and those muscles on the front (ventral) surface could account, at least partially, for this type of motion, although it would be reasonable to expect that all muscles would be similarly stimulated.

(457) The panel suggests that the lacerations of a specific portion of the brain--the cerebral peduncles as described in the autopsy report (89)--could be a cause of decerebrate rigidity, which could contribute to the President's backward motion. Such decerebrate rigidity as Sherrington (90) described usually does not commence for several minutes after separation of the upper brain centers from the brain stem and spinal cord. It is, however, most intense in those muscles which normally counteract the effects of gravity.

(458) The panel is also aware of possible effects on motion that could be caused by the moving car within which the President sat.

(459) The panel concludes that the backward movement of the head following its forward movement occurred after the missile had already exited from the body and had created a large exit defect in the skull, and that it was most probably due to a reverse jet effect, or a neuromuscular reaction, or a combination of the two. The short interval between the two motions supports this explanation. (7 HSCA 173-174)

The FPP simply ducked the problem of the injury to JFK’s spinal cord 5 seconds before the head was struck by a bullet. This would have made it impossible for Sturdivan’s neurospasm to occur, as Dr. Thomas notes:

Would not the destruction of the brain result in a convulsive muscular spasm as it did in the test-shot goat? The obvious answer lies in the fact that the President’s spinal cord had been traumatized 5 seconds before the head shot. Without a functional spinal cord, the spasmodic muscular convulsions seen in head-traumatized victims cannot be induced. Sturdivan acknowledged in testimony that if the President’s spinal cord had been severed by the earlier shot to the base of the neck, then the neuromuscular reaction that he had postulated could not have happened. (Hear No Evil, pp. 334-335)

Sturdivan used a false choice to avoid the problem. He said if the spinal cord had been severed, then there could have been no neurospasm, and then he said that the cord could not have been severed because Kennedy grasped at his throat.

But it is not a choice between an undamaged spinal cord and a severed spinal cord. If a spinal cord experiences substantial trauma, neurospasms cannot be induced, as Dr. Thomas points out, and the FPP acknowledged that the spinal cord was damaged by the bullet that hit the back. The FPP said the T-1 transverse process was fractured, and that this damage is indicated in the autopsy x-rays:

. . . the X-rays indicate that the missile track proceeds toward the midline of the body. This analysis is based on the fracture of the transverse process of T-1. . . . (7 HSCA 93)

(440) The panel agrees that the tissue disruption due to the temporary cavity created by passage of a high or intermediate velocity missile might have produced fractures of the transverse processes of one or several of the lower cervical and/or upper thoracic vertebrae in President Kennedy's neck, as indicated by the postmortem X-rays. There are significant muscle masses attached to the vertebrae which would receive tremendous shock, even if several inches distant from such a missile. A direct grazing missile impact may have occurred, but it would not have been necessary to cause the damage visible in the X-rays. (7 HSCA 171)

Notice the point that there are “significant muscle masses attached to the vertebrae” that would receive “tremendous shock, even if several inches distant from such a missile,” and that the damage visible in the x-rays—the fracture of the T-1 transverse process--might not have even been caused by a direct grazing missile. The FPP did not venture to explain how a neurospasm could have occurred after the spine received such damage, and Sturdivan ducked the issue by his severed-spine-vs.-intact-spine false choice.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:38:20 PM by Michael T. Griffith »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Joe Elliott

It should first be noted that William Hoffman was a Physics Graduate student in the 1960’s. Perfectly competent to make estimates of movement from the Zapruder film. Making accurate estimates is just what a Physics Graduate student is supposed to be good at, and would have a lot of experience at this. He was hired by Josiah Thompson for this work because he had the skills, to make the measurements that he hoped would prove a frontal shooter, and publish this data in his upcoming book “Six Seconds in Dallas”. And Mr. Hoffman would almost certainly have been unaware of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis so he would not have been consciously or unconsciously adjusting his measurements to match it. It would impossible to find such an expert today that one was confident that he had not heard of this hypothesis and did not already have an opinion, one way or the other.

On the question of whether the neuromuscular spasm occurred, or not, my layman opinion is:

The Zapruder film shows it did. There is no other explanation for what it shows:

1.The Head moves forward from z312-z313.
          Consistent with a bullet strike from behind. This can clearly be seen in the Zapruder film.
          It is impossible to tell if the head moved with constant momentum, because this movement
          does not last over one frame interval, but there is no reason to assume it didn’t, all followed
          the laws of conservation of momentum.
                    Not only is this what my layman eye shows me, but is what the careful measurements of
                    Physics graduate student William Hoffman show.

2. The Head starts moving back in the z313-z314.
          This shows the backwards movement started 40 to 80 milliseconds after the bullet impact. Consistent with the 1948 U. S. Army film of the goat, which Larry Sturdivant testified started moving after 40 milliseconds.
                    The careful measurements of Physics graduate student William Hoffman show the head started moving backwards one frame later.

3. The Head moves backwards from z313-z315, with ever increasing speed.
          This is not consistent with movement caused by a “push” from a bullet from the front,
          which should deposit all its momentum while within the head, within a one to two milliseconds,
          after which the head should move with constant momentum, not continuously pick up speed.
                    Not only is this what my layman eye shows me, but is what the careful measurements of
                    Physics graduate student William Hoffman show.

4. From z315-z318, President Kennedy’s right arm starts to move up.
          During this interval it moved up 6 inches at the elbow. It moved up 3 inches from z315-316. This movement
          Is consistent with a sudden speed upward of 3 mph was imparted to the right arm, and then was solely
          Under the influence of gravity, which should cause it to reach its apex during z318-z319, then fall down.
          This is exactly what the Zapruder film shows me. The Head moving back early, followed by the right arm,
          Is exactly what one would expect if the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis is true. The view of his left arm is
          blocked, so we cannot tell if it moved upwards as well, or was perhaps held down by Mrs. Kennedy, assisted
          by the weaker pair of muscles in President Kennedy which would try to pull the arm down.
                    William Hoffman did not comment on this movement, but it is clear for anyone to see in the
                    Zapruder film.

Clearly, if one is guided by what one sees in the Zapruder film, the muscles of the President were activated as a result of being shot in the head and are totally consistent with the Zapruder film, and not consistent with “simply physics” and “pushes” from bullets, unless there were a stream of bullets striking him in the head, one bullet per frame during z313-z318, plus another bullet from below striking the right elbow.

The FPP simply ducked the problem of the injury to JFK’s spinal cord 5 seconds before the head was struck by a bullet. This would have made it impossible for Sturdivan’s neurospasm to occur, as Dr. Thomas notes:

No one knows is that injury would prevent the neuromuscular spasm. My layman’s eye shows the elbows held very high immediately after z222, but gradually coming down by z312, showing the effects of this bullet was fading away within a few seconds, as sometimes happens after trauma to the spinal cord. Temporary paralysis is common in American football, which goes away in a minute or two, or longer.

Sturdivant used a false choice to avoid the problem. He said if the spinal cord had been severed, then there could have been no neurospasm, and then he said that the cord could not have been severed because Kennedy grasped at his throat.

The spinal cord was not severed. Tiny chips were dislodged from near the end of a thin fin of bone of one vertebra, but not severed. I don’t think Mr. Sturdivant claimed the President grasped at his throat. I’m sure he would go with Dr. Lattimer’s opinion, that President Kennedy was in the Thorburn position, immediately after the shot at z222. In my layman’s eye, this position was going away by z312, as trauma caused to the spinal cord can be temporary in some cases.

But it is not a choice between an undamaged spinal cord and a severed spinal cord. If a spinal cord experiences substantial trauma, neurospasms cannot be induced, as Dr. Thomas points out, and the FPP acknowledged that the spinal cord was damaged by the bullet that hit the back. The FPP said the T-1 transverse process was fractured, and that this damage is indicated in the autopsy x-rays:

Notice the point that there are “significant muscle masses attached to the vertebrae” that would receive “tremendous shock, even if several inches distant from such a missile,” and that the damage visible in the x-rays—the fracture of the T-1 transverse process--might not have even been caused by a direct grazing missile. The FPP did not venture to explain how a neurospasm could have occurred after the spine received such damage, and Sturdivant ducked the issue by his severed-spine-vs.-intact-spine false choice.

There is no way Dr. Thomas or anyone else can know this. It is impossible to say how much the spinal cord was damaged. It would be impossible to wound an animal, with the same amount of damage the President had at z222, because no one knows how much damage was caused, then see if the neuromuscular spasm occurs five seconds later with a shot through the brain. Dr Thomas is simply making unwarranted assumptions.

Dr. Lattimer had superior training, and superior experience treating wounded soldiers, then either Dr. Zacharko or Dr. Thomas, on dealing with the question of the neuromuscular spasm hypothesis.