Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Lunchroom Encounter  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

The Lunchroom Encounter
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »
Advertisement
I have posted a few times asking...Where did the lunchroom story come from?
Everyone knows the tale...Patrolman Marrion Baker sees Oswald in the 2nd floor lunchroom buying a Coke just a couple of minutes after the shots were fired.
He has his gun drawn and pointed at Oswald's belly.
Roy Truly vouches for Lee telling the cop that he is one of his boys and the patrolman continues his search upwards.
Hence a separate thread begging to have an explanation.
Below is one post on this point which was ignored probably because of tit for tat nitpicking on unrelated to the subject as usual scuttlebutt.
I searched for actual testimony that supports the account as it is usually regarded and found contradictions---------
 [Could it then] be that the Lunchroom Encounter story actually never really happened? At least not the way it was ultimately portrayed.
Review Bakers statement on Nov 22...   
As we reached the third or fourth floor I saw a man walking away from the stairway. I called to the man and he turned around and came back toward me. The manager said, "I know that man, he works here." I then turned the man loose and went up to the top floor. The man I saw was a white man approximately 30 years old, 5'9", 165 pounds, dark hair and wearing a light brown jacket.
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/baker_m3.htm
No mention of a lunchroom.
Not a white T-shirt but a light brown jacket.
No mention of a soda or soda purchase.
By testimony time though, Officer Baker seemed certain that the incident happened on the second floor...

Mr. BAKER - As I came out to the second floor there, Mr. Truly was ahead of me, and as I come out I was kind of scanning, you know, the rooms, and I caught a glimpse of this man walking away from this--I happened to see him through this window in this door. I don't know how come I saw him, but I had a glimpse of him coming down there.
    Mr. DULLES - Where was he coming from, do you know?
    Mr. BAKER - No, sir. All I seen of him was a glimpse of him go away from me.
    Mr. BELIN - What did you do then?
    Mr. BAKER - I ran on over there...
Baker brings up the confrontation being in the lunchroom.
However, there was still no mention of a soda or soda purchase in Baker's testimony.
So where did the soda story come from?
As far as I can tell...the story came from Oswald himself....

Oswald told police he had eaten his lunch on the first floor and gone up to the second to purchase a coke when he encountered an officer (R182).
It would seem that if an Oswald sighting were on a higher floor, it would appear more damaging to Oswald.
The Warren Commission people never seemed to be too concerned with statements on affidavits taken immediately after the assassination.
More about the lunchroom yarn...Review pages 29,30, & 31 from this publication by Jerome Kroth----
https://books.google.com/books?id=VStz_I0QcB0C&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false
See the far reaching claim [by this Jim Moore person] that Oswald would not have purchased a Coke because he only liked Dr Pepper....thus demonstrating his [Freudian?] suppressed nervousness  :-\
In Roy Truly's testimony, he mentions nothing about a soda or soda purchase so where DID this --
 --Oswald was buying a Coke when the policeman confronted him lore come from?   

JFK Assassination Forum

The Lunchroom Encounter
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: The Lunchroom Encounter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
Here is what was decided to tell in the Report---
Page 648

Speculation.--After firing the shots, Oswald could not have disposed of the rifle and descended the stairs to the lunchroom in time to get a drink from a soft drink machine and be there when Patrolman Baker came in.

Commission finding.---A series of time tests made by investigators and by Roy S. Truly and Patrolman M. L. Baker at the request of the Commission, show that it was possible for Oswald to have placed the rifle behind a box and descended to the lunchroom on the second floor before Patrolman Baker and Truly got up there. Oswald did not have a soft drink bottle in his hand at the time he was confronted by Baker and he was not standing by the soft, drink machine. He was just entering the lunchroom; Baker caught a glimpse of him through the glass panel in the door leading to the lunchroom vestibule.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
It's abundantly clear as to what you're implying, pal: I'd be careful about the way you characterize the forum's donation initiative.

Clueless Chapman doesn’t realize that this is another Duncan auto-substitution.

-----------------------------------------------------------
THE NOBODY WHO SHOT THE SOMEBODY HAD HELP
-----------------------------------------------------------

NOBODY CARES

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:14 PM »
The same can be said for Bill Chapman.

And yet here you are

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »
Clueless Chapman doesn’t realize that this is another Duncan auto-substitution.

NOBODY CARES

First time I've seen Duncan auto-substitute his donation initiative, but realized that when I saw it again, this time in a Pat Speer post about 20 minutes ago.

You care enough to yell at me. A little frustrated, John?
Glad to see I'm raising your BP

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:08:30 AM »
One thing we can count on.... Chapman to come in and completely FUBAR the entire topic.

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:49:43 AM »
A possible scenario.

As Oswald states, he finished his lunch, treated himself to a Coke and decided to make his way outside. As he reached the vestibule of the front entrance he is confronted by Baker, presumably because he is the only person making his way outside (there are multiple sources indicating the confrontation took place here). Truly gives him the all-clear and he makes his way outside. The problem with this is obvious - if Oswald is the shooter how did he make it down from the sixth floor to the front entrance in approximately 30 seconds.
The encounter in the second floor lunchroom is an attempt to put him in a position that is possible for the shooter to reach in the allotted time.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:49:43 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 02:11:44 AM »
For sure Chapman's is worse than Alzheimer's.

I remember that you're an OAKer
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:26:02 AM by Bill Chapman »