Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: If Oswald Was The Assassin, Did He Plan His Escape From The TSBD Very Well?  (Read 79633 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Advertisement
I got a TV guide as well. I just assumed the comment Murphy made was the most insightful thing he could come up with about it.
Question for Jerry - was there anything in it that indicated Sandra Styles and Victoria Adams didn't hit the stairs straight away? It's in relation to John's post where Murphy says Styles told him they didn't.
"We heard three shots from we didn't know where and we went downstairs and out the back around to the front....seeing no one else in the stairwells.."

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline John Tonkovich

Seems to me he did, especially if he bought the Coke beforehand in order to use it as a prop all the way, if necessary.

Carrying the already-opened Coke, get to the Second Floor Lunch Room and hang out there, expecting to be encountered ("No, I didn't hear any shots," or "I work here"), when they leave, walk through Mrs. Reid's office to its front door and exit through it, walk down the wooden steps to the front floor, maybe hang out in the "lobby" for a few seconds, then walk to the rear of the building and exit it through the loading dock door.

Instead of looking suspicious by immediately walking or running away from the building, walk along the side of the building towards the front (as alleged by B. W. F.), cross over to the other side of the street, ... and, well, "take it from there".

--  MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:12:40 AM by John Tonkovich »

Offline John Iacoletti

Adams said she ran down the stairs, ran out the back door, ran around the west side of the TSBD and when she arrived at the front door she listened to a motorcycle radio. The item she heard on the radio (a report about shots coming from the 4th floor) was not played on the radio until 12:37pm.

There’s no report at 12:37 of shots coming from the fourth floor. There’s a report of a man seeing a rifle being pulled in from the second floor, but it’s on channel 2. The motorcycles were on channel 1, weren’t they?

Also, as we’ve discussed multiple times, we don’t know how precise the dispatcher time-checks or the dispatcher clocks were.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:51:09 AM by John Iacoletti »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Martin Weidmann

There’s no report at 12:37 of shots coming from the fourth floor. There’s a report of a man seeing a rifle being pulled in from the second floor, but it’s on channel 2. The motorcycles were on channel 1, weren’t they?

Also, as we’ve discussed multiple times, we don’t know how precise the dispatcher time-checks or the dispatcher clocks were.

I wondered about that radio report as well. I looked at the transcripts and couldn't find it either.

There are on the transcript however, at 12.36, two calls by Sgt Harkness (one on each channel) saying that he had a witness who said the shots came from the 5th floor of the TSBD and that they were sealing of the building. Could it be that Victoria Adams overheard Harkness saying that and later remembered it as a radio call?

Online Gerry Down

They're still likely to be accurate to within 90 seconds or so i'm presuming though?

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Martin Weidmann

They're still likely to be accurate to within 90 seconds or so i'm presuming though?

This is what James C. Bowles, the man in charge of the Dallas Police dispatchers, told the HSCA;

A master clock on the telephone room wall was connected to the City Hall system. This clock reported "official" time. Within the dispatcher's office there were numerous other time giving and time recording devices, both in the telephone room and in the radio room. Telephone operators and radio operators were furnished "Simplex" clocks. Because the hands often worked loose, they indicated the incorrect time. However, their purpose was to stamp the time, day and date on incoming calls. While they were reliable at this, they were not synchronized as stated in the Committee report. Therefore, it was not uncommon for the time stamped on calls to be a minute to two ahead or behind the "official" time shown on the master clock. Accordingly, at "exactly" 10:10, various clocks could be stamping from 10:08 to 10:12, for example. When clocks were as much as a minute or so out of synchronization it was normal procedure to make the needed adjustments. During busy periods this was not readily done.

In addition to the times stamped on calls by telephone operators, the radio operators stamped the "time" as calls were dispatched, and the "time" that officers completed an assignment and returned to service. Radio operators were also furnished with 12-hour digital clocks to facilitate their time references when they were not using call sheets containing stamped time. These digital clocks were not synchronized with any time standard. Therefore, the time "actual" and time "broadcast" could easily be a minute or so apart.

http://www.jfk-online.com/bowles1.html#set

Btw, we know from their testimony that Shelley and Lovelady re-entered the TSBD about five minutes after the shots. Sgt Harkness, in his testimony, states that he sealed off the back entrance of the TSBD at around 12.36 or 12.37.

If, as you assumed earlier, Adams and Styles waited several minutes on the 4th floor, before coming down the stairs and seeing Shelley and Lovelady (who were not there until approx 12.35), have you already figured out how Adams and Styles could leave the building, run to the railway yard where a policeman turned them back, walked to the front of the building and subsequently to the main enterance, on the other side of the building, where Adams heard the radio call and then walked down Houston street to the loading dock where she re-entered the TSBD prior to the building being sealed off by Sgt Harkness at around 12.36 or 12.37?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:03:37 PM by Martin Weidmann »

Offline Jack Nessan

Styles and Adams never ran over to the railroad yard. They were stopped behind the TSBD by an officer, presumeably Sargeant Harkness, and told to return to the building.

Miss ADAMS - I went west towards the tracks.
Mr. BELIN - How far west did you go?
Miss ADAMS - I went approximately 2 yards within the tracks and there was an officer standing there, and he said, "Get back to the building." And I said, "But I work here."

There is a railroad spur running parallel to the dock behind the TSBD. That is where Adams encountered the officer.

------------------------------

Sandra Styles confirms they encountered a policeman at the rear of the TSBD and returned to the front of the building:

FBI Statement 3/19/64
"...We then went around to the side of the building where we saw a policeman talking to someone whom I did not recognize. I was told by a policeman to go around to the front of the building and out of that area...."

Adams and Styles never went over to the Railroad Yard.

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Martin Weidmann

Styles and Adams never ran over to the railroad yard. They were stopped behind the TSBD by an officer, presumeably Sargeant Harkness, and told to return to the building.

Miss ADAMS - I went west towards the tracks.
Mr. BELIN - How far west did you go?
Miss ADAMS - I went approximately 2 yards within the tracks and there was an officer standing there, and he said, "Get back to the building." And I said, "But I work here."

There is a railroad spur running parallel to the dock behind the TSBD. That is where Adams encountered the officer.

------------------------------

Sandra Styles confirms they encountered a policeman at the rear of the TSBD and returned to the front of the building:

FBI Statement 3/19/64
"...We then went around to the side of the building where we saw a policeman talking to someone whom I did not recognize. I was told by a policeman to go around to the front of the building and out of that area...."

Adams and Styles never went over to the Railroad Yard.

BS.. Nobody said they ran over to the railroad yard. They ran towards it. There is a difference. Sgt Harkness was in front of the TSBD until 12.36 when he passed a message on to the DPD dispatcher. If the girls were stopped behind the TSBD, they would have turned around and re-entered to building. They did no such thing.

And he said, "That is tough, get back." I said, "Well, was the President shot?" And he said, "I don't know. Go back." And I said, "All right."
Mr. BELIN - Then what did you do?
Miss ADAMS - I went back, only I went southwest.
Mr. BELIN - Well, did you come back by way of the street, or did you come back the same entrance you went out?
Miss ADAMS - No, sir.
Mr. BELIN - You went back in through the front entrance, through the front of the building?
Miss ADAMS - Well, I didn't go back in right away.
Mr. BELIN - What did you do then? There is a street that would be a continuation of Elm Street that goes in front of the building, and Elm Street itself angles into the freeway. Did you go back either of those streets?

Miss ADAMS - Yes, sir. I went by the one directly in front of the building.

If an officer had stopped the girls behind the TSBD, they would never have had the possibility to go to the front of the building.

FBI Statement 3/19/64

More BS... Sandra Styles did not confirm the encounter took place "at the rear of the TSBD". She told the FBI that they went around to the side of the building

Which fits perfectly with Adams saying she did not go back the same way she came out the building, but instead went to the front of the building. Styles actually tells the FBI exactly that.... the policeman told her "to go around to the front of the building"

The bottom line is that the girls came down the stairs at the North West corner of the building, let the TSBD by going down the stairs at the North East said of the loading platform. They then ran towards the railway yard and encountered a police office somewhere between the North West corner of the building and the railway yard. He told them to go back and they walked along the side of the building towards the street that runs parallel to the TSBD, turned left and walked along the front of the building towards the entrance, where Adams overheard the message of Sgt Harkness to the DPD dispatcher at around 12.36. Exactly what I have been saying the time line shows.

If you want the girls to be up on the 4th floor until 4 to 5 minutes after the shots (i.e. 12.34 or 12.35), they wouldn't have had the time to do all that before 12.36 when Harkness transmitted his message to the DPD dispatcher.

If you want to punch a hole in the time line you need to come up with something better than this cherry picked stuff.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 05:38:56 PM by Martin Weidmann »