Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: If Oswald Was The Assassin, Did He Plan His Escape From The TSBD Very Well?  (Read 79801 times)

Offline Colin Crow

Re: If Oswald Was The Assassin, Did He Plan His Escape From The TSBD Very Well?
« Reply #1008 on: August 07, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
Advertisement
It seems unlikely but could it be anything to do with the murder of Oswald on the 24th?

Thumb1:

After noon on the 24th there will be no need for a trial in Texas. And who would trust them, they just let the killer be killed in their own building.

Yet still they hung onto potential evidence even though tasked with delivering all evidence in their to the FBI for a second time!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:36:57 AM by Colin Crow »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1008 on: August 07, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #1009 on: August 07, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
This isn't just to you Tim but anyone who might have an idea or even a good guess.
Why, after badgering the DPD to give them the evidence, do the FBI return the evidence on the 24th only to take it back permanently on the 26th?
They initially take it at almost midnight on the 22nd. It arrives in Washington in the early hours of the 23rd and is returned on the 24th. Surely the FBI had no time to carry out any real investigation of the evidence. So why return it?
Is there any documentation relating to this event?

I might guess some "tidying up" was required on some material. Chain of evidence stuff that was found lacking first time around.

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #1010 on: August 07, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
I might guess some "tidying up" was required on some material. Chain of evidence stuff that was found lacking first time around.
This is a Hoover memo dated 24th November (4.00pm) and declassified in 2017:

https://images.dallasobserver.com/media/pdf/docid-32263509.pdf

The pertinent paragraph reads:

"Chief of Police Curry I understand cannot control Capt. Fritz of the Homicide Squad, who is giving much information to the press. Since we now think it involves the Criminal Code on a conspiracy charge under section 241, we want them to shut up. Furthermore, I have ordered the evidence be secured by the Police Department. We sent most of the evidence back to them. We still have the bullets that were fired and will keep them."

There seems to be quite a lot of friction between the FBI and the DPD. Hoover, himself, ordered the return of the evidence to have it "secured by the Police Department". I don't know what this means and it sounds off. The very next sentence after this paragraph relates to Hoover wanting to "convince the public that Oswald is the real assassin".
Hoover is not impressed with the work of the DPD and believes it's the FBI who are doing all the important work:
"They did not really have a case against Oswald until we gave them our information. We traced the weapon, we identified the handwriting, we identified the fingerprints on the brown bag. We were able to identify the bullets as coming from that gun. All the Dallas Police had was three witnesses..."
The FBI did a lot of work on the 23rd but still had lots more to do. With this in mind, why would Hoover return all the evidence to the DPD when he is so critical of them?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:23:59 AM by Dan O'meara »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1010 on: August 07, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #1011 on: August 07, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »
This is a Hoover memo dated 24th November (4.00pm) and declassified in 2017:

https://images.dallasobserver.com/media/pdf/docid-32263509.pdf

The pertinent paragraph reads:

"Chief of Police Curry I understand cannot control Capt. Fritz of the Homicide Squad, who is giving much information to the press. Since we now think it involves the Criminal Code on a conspiracy charge under section 241, we want them to shut up. Furthermore, I have ordered the evidence be secured by the Police Department. We sent most of the evidence back to them. We still have the bullets that were fired and will keep them."

There seems to be quite a lot of friction between the FBI and the DPD. Hoover, himself, ordered the return of the evidence to have it "secured by the Police Department". I don't know what this means and it sounds off. The very next sentence after this paragraph relates to Hoover wanting to "convince the public that Oswald is the real assassin".
Hoover is not impressed with the work of the DPD and believes it's the FBI who are doing all the important work:
"They did not really have a case against Oswald until we gave them our information. We traced the weapon, we identified the handwriting, we identified the fingerprints on the brown bag. We were able to identify the bullets as coming from that gun. All the Dallas Police had was three witnesses..."
The FBI did a lot of work on the 23rd but still had lots more to do. With this in mind, why would Hoover return all the evidence to the DPD when he is so critical of them?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

Seems J Edgar was initially a conspiracy theorist. Oswald was dead, who was the second person he had in mind I wonder.

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #1012 on: August 07, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »
On the 22nd the FBI take the evidence relating to the assassination from the DPD

On the 24th Hoover states in a memo " I have ordered the evidence be secured by the Police Department. We sent most of the evidence back to them."

On the 25th Chief Curry makes the following press release:
"When the investigation in the case of Lee Harvey Oswald is completed insofar as the Dallas Police Department is concerned, we intend to make the entire file public unless Federal authorities specifically request that some part be withheld and turned over to them. Unless we are specifically instructed otherwise from Washington, we believe it can and should become public information. At this time, we cannot designate when the release will be made."

On the 26th Henry Wade makes the following request to Curry on behalf of the Federal government:
"return over all of the evidence obtained in the investigation of the president over to the FBI for mailing to Washington."

In all this "William's lunch" remains never make it to the FBI and are still at the DPD when Day gives his WC testimony.
When the evidence is collected on the 26th Day is aware the prints on the remains do not belong to Oswald, he has heard they might belong to a TSBD employee (Williams?) but makes no effort to confirm this. Basically, he doesn't have a clue who the prints belong to but the decision is made not to hand this vital evidence, initially thought to be the assassin's, over to the FBI.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1012 on: August 07, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
Perhaps very pertinent in the context of any Williams/Rowland/etc. discussion is what Mrs. Mary Hall told the HSCA on 12 Nov 1977:

-------------------she worked on the fifth floor of the Dal-Tex building
-------------------some time between 9.30-10.30 11/22/63 she saw a young man deliver a long box from an Honest Joe station wagon to the Depository
-------------------"she resumed her work and didn't look out of the window until around lunchtime when she looked across the street into the T.S.B.D.'s sixth floor window ('their sixth floor window was level with our fifth floor') and she saw a white male, wearing a hat, apparently looking for something among boxes. She showed the man to her co-worker, Gertrude Fowler, and a few minutes later they all went to have lunch and watch the President's motorcade."
-------------------later that day, after the assassination, she told the police about what she had seen.

Thumb1:

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2020, 01:49:34 AM »
Can I suggest that the official version relating to movements on the sixth floor are not supported by the various statements. Also the according to what was known at the time the lunch sack and bottle should have been provided to the FBI for analysis.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2020, 01:49:34 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #1015 on: August 08, 2020, 02:28:52 AM »
Can I suggest that the official version relating to movements on the sixth floor are not supported by the various statements. Also the according to what was known at the time the lunch sack and bottle should have been provided to the FBI for analysis.
I think that's fairly certain.