Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: How much do JFK experts make?  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Re: How much do JFK experts make?
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
Advertisement

This one ranks near the top of the worst "cash-in" books ever "written". It's slapped together, very poorly documented and sold in the millions.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »
Why would that sell millions?  Did Oprah endorse it or something?

Offline Pat Speer

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »
A curious, unstable figure who is the son of an executive (in 1963) of the Kodak Research Laboratory just happenred to come along and make Mary Ferrell's family quite wealthy, compared to their prior circumstances. See: https://jfkfacts.org/comment-of-the-week-11/#comment-847199
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2017/11/16/oliver-curme-marijuana-hearing-mocks-cancer-ptsd/

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/back-bay-resident-shocks-crowd-at-zoning/32475/
‘It Was Satire,’ Boston Man Says of Comments on Vets, Breast Cancer Patients

https://jfkresearch.wordpress.com/category/mary-ferrell-foundation/page/1/

Other beneficiaries of this man's still not thoroughly explained interest or level of generosity are, in order of compensation, Rex Bradford, but at least he worked to earn the opportunity, David Lifton.... we still don't know why he was paid, and various MFF directors, except Larry Hancock, who no MFF filing or other record I've found of compensation to Larry, has surfaced.

https://jfkresearch.wordpress.com/category/mary-ferrell-foundation/page/1/

There is nothing suspicious about Curme, IMO. He asked me out to dinner at a Lancer conference once, and we talked for hours. He insisted on paying the bill, explaining that he felt obliged seeing as he was using some of the material from my website for a continuing education class he'd started teaching at Harvard. I had no idea who he was until months later, when I read an online rant about the mysterious Ollie Curme.

I feel quite certain he is just who says he is--a rich CT who was in position to help the "community" by buying Mary's stash and putting it up online. He did a good thing. It happens.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
There is nothing suspicious about Curme, IMO. He asked me out to dinner at a Lancer conference once, and we talked for hours. He insisted on paying the bill, explaining that he felt obliged seeing as he was using some of the material from my website for a continuing education class he'd started teaching at Harvard. I had no idea who he was until months later, when I read an online rant about the mysterious Ollie Curme.

I feel quite certain he is just who says he is--a rich CT who was in position to help the "community" by buying Mary's stash and putting it up online. He did a good thing. It happens.

Pat, I've never met this generous benefactor, you have. You get around more than I do, and you may have a better sense. I have an unfavorable opinion of author Lifton and have no idea of what he did in exchange for the MFF money. I do know his high opinion of Priscilla Livingston Johnson, (as Mr. Simkin persists in labeling her, https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKjohnsonPR.htm ) flies in the face of the facts and the job he did on Garrison seemed over the top at the time and has not held up well.

Author Evica and Charles Drago had a reaction to their dinner host closer to  mine than to yours, but Charles was less certain of his perceptions than you posted, about yours.: https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/thread-1107-post-4935.html#pid4935

I spent nearly a year inside the MFF sponsored or subsidized jfkfacts. I don't see how money, other than sourced from Mr. Curme, is the major support of web services for both sites as well as administrative costs of MFF and the foundation's directors' compensation.

Maybe I am too meticulous as far as what authors and other researchers publish or present, but I discern personal goals, other commercial considerations and cliques are often prioritized over accuracy and fair dealing. IOW, I see almost no one amending their inaccuracies, more challenging to amend when published in a book. CTs are their own worst enemies and so much unsupported consensus goes unchallenged. You read Ed Forum threads and you have high standards, from what I've read.

The verdict is not yet in as far as the outcome of Mr. Curme inserting himself. I'm not Z-film obsessed and I have encountered too many coincidences in the process of research to believe there is no such thing as coincidence, as criminal investigators are said to assume. There seem to be far too many, whatever that even means, and Curme's father's role at Kodak happens to be a curious coincidence. Oliver Curme is driven and impressively accomplished. The links in my last post and the "arrangements" he's made resulting in the MFF along with the lack of clarity of his relationship with JFK Assassination research give, "even the appearance of impropriety". LBJ, the FBI, DPD, Bill Decker's department, and the WC all lived under a similar cloud.

I can't decide if the "tone deaf" Curme with the self awareness deficit is more reasonable than a PR managed and filtered version. Have you considered how many times he was "pitched" by talented people seeking financial backing? He has been exposed to good first impressions and knows how to make one. Pursuing Mary and reassuring presenters like Michael Evica or Pat Speer seem within his realm of experience but a reversal of roles.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:59:20 PM by Tom Scully »

Offline Pat Speer

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
Pat, I've never met this generous benefactor, you have. You get around more than I do, and you may have a better sense. I have an unfavorable opinion of author Lifton and have no idea of what he did in exchange for the MFF money. I do know his high opinion of Priscilla Livingston Johnson, (as Mr. Simkin persists in labeling her, https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKjohnsonPR.htm ) flies in the face of the facts and the job he did on Garrison seemed over the top at the time and has not held up well.

Author Evica and Charles Drago had a reaction to their dinner host closer to  mine than to yours, but Charles was less certain of his perceptions than you posted, about yours.: https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/thread-1107-post-4935.html#pid4935

I spent nearly a year inside the MFF sponsored or subsidized jfkfacts. I don't see how money, other than sourced from Mr. Curme, is the major support of web services for both sites as well as administrative costs of MFF and the foundation's directors' compensation.

Maybe I am too meticulous as far as what authors and other researchers publish or present, but I discern personal goals, other commercial considerations and cliques are often prioritized over accuracy and fair dealing. IOW, I see almost no one amending their inaccuracies, more challenging to amend when published in a book. CTs are their own worst enemies and so much unsupported consensus goes unchallenged. You read Ed Forum threads and you have high standards, from what I've read.

The verdict is not yet in as far as the outcome of Mr. Curme inserting himself. I'm not Z-film obsessed and I have encountered too many coincidences in the process of research to believe there is no such thing as coincidence, as criminal investigators are said to assume. There seem to be far too many, whatever that even means, and Curme's father's role at Kodak happens to be a curious coincidence. Oliver Curme is driven and impressively accomplished. The links in my last post and the "arrangements" he's made resulting in the MFF along with the lack of clarity of his relationship with JFK Assassination research give, "even the appearance of impropriety". LBJ, the FBI, DPD, Bill Decker's department, and the WC all lived under a similar cloud.

I can't decide if the "tone deaf" Curme with the self awareness deficit is more reasonable than a PR managed and filtered version. Have you considered how many times he was "pitched" by talented people seeking financial backing? He has been exposed to good first impressions and knows how to make one. Pursuing Mary and reassuring presenters like Michael Evica or Pat Speer seem within his realm of experience but a reversal of roles.

To be clear, Tom, the Mary Ferrell Foundation was already up and running when I went to dinner with Curme, and he never mentioned it. I had no idea he was the man behind the curtain until months later.

As far as the MFF's assistant to Lifton...my understanding is that the MFF was not designed to be merely a website, but was set up as both a website/home for documents/research articles, and an incubator for further research. When it was set up, there was much excitement within the "community" over Don Thomas' research/upcoming book on the forensic evidence, and Lifton's research/upcoming book on Oswald.  The MFF ended up publishing Thomas' book--I'm not sure if an advance was provided. It is my understanding though--I may even have heard this from you, I can't recall--that Lifton was given a grant to allow him to work on his research/upcoming book full time. As he never finished his book on Oswald, and is instead planning on putting out a second book on the medical evidence that basically doubles down on the weaker aspects of Best Evidence (All shots came from the front, etc), I suspect the MFF has come to regret providing Lifton this grant. But that's just a hunch.

I do know, however, that Curme himself does not promote Lifton's theories re body alteration. At one point he emailed me a link to an outline for the extension class he was teaching at Harvard. Some of my conclusions regarding the medical evidence were in there. But I don't recall there being anything on body alteration, faked x-rays, etc.

If you have an ongoing interest in the history of the MFF, moreover, there's something you should probably take a look at. At one of the Lancer Conferences, 2004 or 2005, there was a panel on the creation of the foundation. I am fairly certain Rex Bradford and Deb Conway were on this panel, but don't recall who else was on the panel. In any event, you might find it interesting to see what the announced goals were for the foundation, as opposed to what it became.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:11:03 PM by Pat Speer »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »