Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Shells, rifle, SN... Who?  (Read 42256 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Shells, rifle, SN... Who?
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »
Advertisement
Please point them out in the Alyea frame of your choice.

And why do you assume that their examination of the Mauser they described would have been captured in the Alyea film clips that you have seen?

Please show me where Boone described a mauser.....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Please show me where Boone described a mauser.....

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:32 PM »

Duh...The way I read Boone's affidavit it says "What appeared to be a 7.65 mauser"....  THATt My Dear Johnny is NOT a description of a 7.65 Mauser.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:32 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2020, 11:28:25 PM »
I think that someone familiar enough with the Argentine Mauser to mistake the TSBD Carcano for one would also be familiar with 2 of it's main identifiable characteristics. The ground off Argentine national crest and the receiver markings noting the model designation and the manufacturer information.
My take from this is the opposite of yours. I don't think anyone mistook a Carcano for a Argentine Mauser. The logical conclusion is 2 rifles recovered. The Mauser didn't fit the LN story and was ghosted.
[...]
Your logic assumes that Weitzman/Boone were bolt-action cognoscenti enough to know that the crest would be ground off (and that different rifles would not have their national crests ground off). It also assumes that they saw the ground off crest and/or the receiver markings. There is no evidence whatsoever that either assumption is true. 

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
Duh...The way I read Boone's affidavit it says "What appeared to be a 7.65 mauser"....  THATt My Dear Johnny is NOT a description of a 7.65 Mauser.

This is most certainly a description:

"what appeared to be a 7.65mm Mauser with a telescopic sight. The rifle had what appeared to be a brownish, black stock and blue steel, metal parts."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »
Your logic assumes that Weitzman/Boone were bolt-action cognoscenti enough to know that the crest would be ground off (and that different rifles would not have their national crests ground off). It also assumes that they saw the ground off crest and/or the receiver markings. There is no evidence whatsoever that either assumption is true.

If Weitzman was capable of reading the printing on the scope, then he was capable of reading "made in Italy" on the rifle.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
The rifle was Kleenex/Coke/Mauser in appearance
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:21:00 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »
This is most certainly a description:

"what appeared to be a 7.65mm Mauser with a telescopic sight. The rifle had what appeared to be a brownish, black stock and blue steel, metal parts."

a telescopic sight. The rifle had what appeared to be a brownish, black stock and blue steel, metal parts."

That describes the Mannlicher Carcano.....  Weitzman got a quick glimpse of the carcano as Day and Fritz were examining the rifle and made a WAG at the calber, and manufacturer....