Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Historian explains the mind of Conspiracy Nuts - CBS 1967  (Read 15247 times)

Offline Ross Lidell

Historian explains the mind of Conspiracy Nuts - CBS 1967
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
Advertisement
As far back as 1967 a brilliant historian explained the Conspiracy "mentality".
He predicted that another investigation (or 3 or 4) of the JFK Assassination would not convince doubters because they possess the "conspiracy mentality". It's persists 52 years later... right here.

This is from the 1967 CBS News Inquiry - the Warren Report.

... The conspiracy theory, the conspiracy mentality will not accept ordinary evidence ..... There’s some psychological requirement: It forces them to reject the ordinary and find refuge in the extraordinary...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:35:41 AM by Ross Lidell »

JFK Assassination Forum

Historian explains the mind of Conspiracy Nuts - CBS 1967
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Historian explains the mind of Conspiracy Nuts - CBS 1967
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
"Brilliant historian"  :D   This is a joke right?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
"Brilliant historian"  :D   This is a joke right?

Aren't all LNer's a "joke"?  But not a funny joke....   I doubt that prior to 1964 you can find any talking head on the TV using the term "conspiracy Theorist".  But since then the Major Media routinely uses the term in a derogatory manner.     In their elitist attitude of "I'm so smart that nobody could fool me", they sneer at those who would point out huge  flaws in their beliefs.         

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »

Online John Iacoletti

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
Conjecture, supposition, and handwaving does not constitute “ordinary evidence”.

Offline Pat Speer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »
What was unthinkable to men like Commager was that the first investigation was not an actual investigation. Earl Warren, they thought, would not put his name on a cover-up. Historians, in general, took at face value the forensic evidence dished up by Specter and the eyewitness evidence dished up by Ball and Belin, without realizing the evidence avoided and the short-cuts taken. To this day, in fact, one encounters those who dismiss any complaint about the forensic evidence or witness evidence as digging through minutiae. And I know this because I have engaged members of the WC staff and supposedly prominent thinkers of the Oswald did-it belief in discussions of the single-bullet theory, where they ran for the hills once I showed them the trajectory was doubtful and that Canning's study for the HSCA was a fraud. And they all told me the same thing--something they picked up from some blow-hard like Commager--that you can not get to the truth by looking closely at the evidence, that you must instead surrender to some general feeling that the evidence points in Oswald's direction. Well...why? Has anyone done a detailed study of criminal cases and discovered how much counter-evidence exists in cases where there is slam-dunk evidence (let's say a video-tape, 10 eyewitnesses, and a confession)? I mean, beyond that most suspects don't get killed before reaching trial, do palm prints on a weapon routinely show up in the record after the suspect's death? And what about eyewitnesses? Do eyewitnesses who refuse to make a positive ID routinely come forward after the suspect's death, and after the FBI has paid a visit to their house? And what about the shirt fibers? Are fibers to a shirt worn when a suspect was arrested routinely found on the presumed murder weapon by the FBI (when they went unnoticed by the officer first inspecting the weapon), and how often does it later come out that the suspect had claimed he'd worn a different shirt at the time of the murder? And that the shirt he'd claimed to have been wearing was in fact collected by the police and studied by the FBI, but inaccurately described in their records so that no one would know this was the shirt he'd said he'd been wearing?

I mean, at what point, when one studies the evidence, should this "general feeling" Oswald acted alone turn to a "general feeling" the case against him was in large part a frame-up? And, perhaps more importantly, in the words of Commager, is there a "psychological force" that prevents one from changing one's "general feeling" once that "feeling" has taken root?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:26:14 PM by Pat Speer »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
What was unthinkable to men like Commager was that the first investigation was not an actual investigation. Earl Warren, they thought, would not put his name on a cover-up. Historians, in general, took at face value the forensic evidence dished up by Specter and the eyewitness evidence dished up by Ball and Belin, without realizing the evidence avoided and the short-cuts taken. To this day, in fact, one encounters those who dismiss any complaint about the forensic evidence or witness evidence as digging through minutiae. And I know this because I have engaged members of the WC staff and supposedly prominent thinkers of the Oswald did-it belief in discussions of the single-bullet theory, where they ran for the hills once I showed them the trajectory was doubtful and that Canning's study for the HSCA was a fraud. And they all told me the same thing--something they picked up from some blow-hard like Commager--that you can not get to the truth by looking closely at the evidence, that you must instead surrender to some general feeling that the evidence points in Oswald's direction. Well...why? Has anyone done a detailed study of criminal cases and discovered how much counter-evidence exists in cases where there is slam-dunk evidence (let's say a video-tape, 10 eyewitnesses, and a confession)? I mean, beyond that most suspects don't get killed before reaching trial, do palm prints on a weapon routinely show up in the record after the suspect's death? And what about eyewitnesses? Do eyewitnesses who refuse to make a positive ID routinely come forward after the suspect's death, and after the FBI has paid a visit to their house? And what about the shirt fibers? Are fibers to a shirt worn when a suspect was arrested routinely found on the presumed murder weapon by the FBI (when they went unnoticed by the officer first inspecting the weapon), and how often does it later come out that the suspect had claimed he'd worn a different shirt at the time of the murder? And that the shirt he'd claimed to have been wearing was in fact collected by the police and studied by the FBI, but inaccurately described in their records so that no one would know this was the shirt he'd said he'd been wearing?

I mean, at what point, when one studies the evidence, should this "general feeling" Oswald acted alone turn to a "general feeling" the case against him was in large part a frame-up? And, perhaps more importantly, in the words of Commager, is there a "psychological force" that prevents one from changing one's "general feeling" once that "feeling" has taken root?

Well said, Pat.....

"And, perhaps more importantly, in the words of Commager, is there a "psychological force" that prevents one from changing one's "general feeling" once that "feeling" has taken root?"

I don't know about you, or how many others...But I originally was a LNer.....  Because I was naive and a sucker for believing the authorities and the news media.   Now I look back and wonder how any intelligent person could believe the Warren Report.

And, perhaps more importantly, in the words of Commager, is there a "psychological force" that prevents one from changing one's "general feeling" once that "feeling" has taken root?

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 11:26:39 PM »

Well, Pat, Mark "Paid By KGB To Debunk The Warren Report" and KGB Counterintelligence Lieutenant-Colonel Vladimir Putin (and his ilk) were certainly glad the shift eventually occurred, aren't you?

LOL

--  MWT   ;)

PS  THE COLD WAR IS OVER AND WE WON!

(not)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:06:28 AM by Thomas Graves »