Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?  (Read 13725 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 11:22:07 PM »
Advertisement
Convincing to whom though?  Bias influences whether or how you find something convincing.  For example, some people here find Donald Trump to be a credible president.

Not for any good reason though.

Bias can influence it, but not necessarily.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 11:22:07 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 12:21:19 AM »
From The Oxford Dictionary:

com·mon sense
/ˌkämən ˈsens/
noun
good sense and sound judgment in practical matters.
"a common-sense approach"

Sorry Bill, but I don’t see anything about it being biased.

Good sense and sound judgment is subjective and mostly based upon preconcieved ideas.

It's impossible for any human person to be 100% neutral and completely free of bias.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:27 AM »
Although I agree with your posted definitions of common sense to a degree, they are merely scraping the surface. A deeper investigation in regards the logic of the term is necessary.

I looked the term up a couple of years ago. I don't think I've used it myself since that time, and cringe a bit when others use it. I fall into the 'whatever that means' camp.

I find the following a fascinating study of the subject:

Common Sense
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Common_sense

EDIT: 6:08pm EST
Additionally, I doubt whether the term would be allowed in formal debate

Thanks for the link Bill. Here are a couple of paragraphs that I selected:

Common sense plays a role in science. If there are two possibilities that could both be true, it is accepted by science that the most simple, most "common sense" answer is the place to start, and until or unless it is disproved or "wobbly,"[4] it should be given more weight than an answer that breaks common sense until more evidence can be gathered. Mostly this is settled by Occam's Razor, in which case the preferred answer is the one that requires the fewest assumptions.

The bolded emphasis was added by me. To me “more weight” would be because it is “more likely.”

This paragraph is from the article linked to the Occam’s Razor link:

Its scientific application is to select priority between developing theories of equal predictive power. The "simpler" theory with fewer (or less onerous) assumptions is probably the most appropriate one. For example, if you see hoof-prints on your local walking trail, think horses, not Invisible Pink Unicorns.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:27 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 02:52:55 AM »
If everybody is finished with the philosophical cream and cherries...who returned the books?   :-\

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
Thanks for the link Bill. Here are a couple of paragraphs that I selected:

Common sense plays a role in science. If there are two possibilities that could both be true, it is accepted by science that the most simple, most "common sense" answer is the place to start, and until or unless it is disproved or "wobbly,"[4] it should be given more weight than an answer that breaks common sense until more evidence can be gathered. Mostly this is settled by Occam's Razor, in which case the preferred answer is the one that requires the fewest assumptions.

The bolded emphasis was added by me. To me “more weight” would be because it is “more likely.”

This paragraph is from the article linked to the Occam’s Razor link:

Its scientific application is to select priority between developing theories of equal predictive power. The "simpler" theory with fewer (or less onerous) assumptions is probably the most appropriate one. For example, if you see hoof-prints on your local walking trail, think horses, not Invisible Pink Unicorns.

I'm an artist and coming upon hoof prints might well trigger my imagination to make visible your 'pink unicorns'

What you've added dovetails back to bias in my view. I maintain that, for all intents & purposes, it's impossible to remain bias-free.
> To wit:'Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen' -  attributed to A. Einstein

Charles: That's a wrap: I'll not continue this particular subject any longer on this thread. Nevertheless, it's an extremely important issue here in my view; in fact it could be argued that it is the main cause of the rancor & differences between the two camps.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:31:26 AM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
I'm an artist and coming upon hoof prints might well trigger my imagination to make visible your 'pink unicorns'

What you've added dovetails back to bias in my view. I maintain that, for all intents & purposes, it's impossible to remain bias-free.
> To wit:'Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen' -  attributed to A. Einstein

Charles: That's a wrap: I'll not continue this particular subject any longer on this thread. Nevertheless, it's an extremely important issue here in my view; in fact it could be argued that it is the main cause of the rancor & differences between the two camps.

Einstein also said:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

And:

Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.

But you have to put some of his quotes into context. They make more sense when viewed from the perspective of a theoretical physicist.

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
If everybody is finished with the philosophical cream and cherries...who returned the books?   :-\

Let's assume that after five decades that no one can ever prove with absolute certainty how these books were returned.  Now what?  It does not mean by default that Oswald was in New Orleans and returned them.  There are any number of plausible explanations that do not involve Oswald.  Those have been noted several times.  The evidence demonstrates that Oswald was elsewhere.  He can't be in two places at once.  So someone returned them on his behalf or there was some delay in processing that none of us can ever uncover even if we dwell on this pedantic issue until the end of times.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:05:50 PM by Richard Smith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »

Thumb1: