Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?  (Read 13738 times)

Offline John Tonkovich

Re: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
Advertisement
You raise an interesting point.

Oswald was in Dallas at the TEC ( Texas Employment Commission?) on the 3rd, in Dallas.  And, en route to Dallas, from Nuevo Laredo, on the 2nd.
For the record, the 2nd and 3rd were weekdays, not weekends, so there is no possible "after hours/holidaySunday closure" explanation.

I think the only legitimate conclusion is that someone else returned the library books. Oswald taking the books to Mexico is conjecture, as is the traveling companion suggestion. Possible, but not proven.

Thanks. More info appreciated.

Addendum: New Orleans is 500 miles East/Southeast of Dallas.
And that is an odd mixture of reading material.

For Mr. Collins.
Please above.
Note the word "conjecture".
Also note me, premptively,  "cutting off at the pass" the "aterhours/holidayweekend" excuse.

Oswald, according to Warren Commission report, leaves New Orleans 5 to 6 days before October 3rd. And is in Mexico City on the 1st, and in Dallas, 500 miles away from N.O., on the 2nd.

The OP raised an interesting point.  What does it mean?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:39 PM »
For Mr. Collins.
Please above.
Note the word "conjecture".
Also note me, premptively,  "cutting off at the pass" the "aterhours/holidayweekend" excuse.

Oswald, according to Warren Commission report, leaves New Orleans 5 to 6 days before October 3rd. And is in Mexico City on the 1st, and in Dallas, 500 miles away from N.O., on the 2nd.

The OP raised an interesting point.  What does it mean?

For the record, the 2nd and 3rd were weekdays, not weekends, so there is no possible "after hours/holidaySunday closure" explanation.

LHO cashed his unemployment check on 9/25/63 (sometime after 8: o’clock am) at a Winn-Dixie store near his apartment. He could have dropped the books at the library that morning before they opened. So it is certainly is possible.

If you disagree, because of the number of days that the books would have been neglected or forgotten about between the 25th and the 10/3, then here is another scenario for you:

LHO could have simply taken the books to the lost and found (or security office) at the bus station in New Orleans and told them that someone else must have left them there. It could have taken the bus station personnel until 10/3/63 to get the books back to the library. There are other possible similar scenarios that could have taken place.

Yes, it is only conjecture. And we will probably never know for sure exactly what transpired. However, my point is that the evidence does NOT have to be “proof” that LHO had someone helping him with his trip to Mexico City.

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 11:59:00 PM »

LHO cashed his unemployment check on 9/25/63 (sometime after 8: o’clock am) at a Winn-Dixie store near his apartment. He could have dropped the books at the library that morning before they opened. So it is certainly is possible.

If you disagree, because of the number of days that the books would have been neglected or forgotten about between the 25th and the 10/3, then here is another scenario for you:

LHO could have simply taken the books to the lost and found (or security office) at the bus station in New Orleans and told them that someone else must have left them there. It could have taken the bus station personnel until 10/3/63 to get the books back to the library. There are other possible similar scenarios that could have taken place.

Yes, it is only conjecture. And we will probably never know for sure exactly what transpired. However, my point is that the evidence does NOT have to be “proof” that LHO had someone helping him with his trip to Mexico City.

Libraries keep close track of when books are returned, because...they charge fines for books returned late.

The evidence provided shows that someone other than LHO returned the books.

Nothing else.

The OP raised an interesting point.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline Margaret Kelly

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 02:24:01 AM »

Possible. But Oswald knew well in advance that he was leaving for Mexico. It looks to me like Oswald was trying to steal these books and carry them in to Cuba never to return them. He pulled a similar episode with the rent lady by leaving and not paying the final 2 weeks rent. Then when he found out he wasn't getting in to Cuba, he was forced to arrange to have them returned. I presume he did this in case the library would track him down and issue a late-penalty.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 02:43:14 AM »
Possible. But Oswald knew well in advance that he was leaving for Mexico. It looks to me like Oswald was trying to steal these books and carry them in to Cuba never to return them. He pulled a similar episode with the rent lady by leaving and not paying the final 2 weeks rent. Then when he found out he wasn't getting in to Cuba, he was forced to arrange to have them returned. I presume he did this in case the library would track him down and issue a late-penalty.

LHO had a lot to do: Ruth Paine’s visit, getting the car packed with all of their belongings, conning the landlord into believing that he wasn’t leaving, sneaking out after dark to avoid his landlord, etc. It is easy to understand that returning the library books was probably not very high on his priority list. And that he either ran out of time and/or forgot about them. He might have even left them in the apartment and the next tenant found them and took them to the library.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 02:43:14 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »

If you want to make up an alternate scenario, that’s fine. But that doesn’t make it “more likely”.

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:48 PM »
If you want to make up an alternate scenario, that’s fine. But that doesn’t make it “more likely”.

Thanks.

I anticipated a convoluted attempt to downplay the facts.

Let's remember, the Warren Commission shows the books returned October 3rd. And shows Oswald far away starting 5 to 6 days before, as well as several days after that date.

Someone else returned those books. Who? Oswald is a "loner", "lone assassin" etc.
Could be his aunt, uncle, cousins? Or someone else.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:48 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 11:30:31 PM »
Thanks.

I anticipated a convoluted attempt to downplay the facts.

Let's remember, the Warren Commission shows the books returned October 3rd. And shows Oswald far away starting 5 to 6 days before, as well as several days after that date.

Someone else returned those books. Who? Oswald is a "loner", "lone assassin" etc.
Could be his aunt, uncle, cousins? Or someone else.

How does any of that prove Oswald shot Kennedy? Oops... sorry, I was just channelling CT Paranoid Central. My bad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:34:22 PM by Bill Chapman »