Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?  (Read 13727 times)

Offline Margaret Kelly

Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »
Advertisement
On Sept 19 1963, apparently in anticipation of his expected long bus journey to Mexico City, LHO took out four books from the New Orleans library:

Someone then returned them to the New Orleans library on Oct 3rd (at a time when LHO was on his way to Dallas from Mexico). This has to be proof LHO was not on his own in Mexico. Presumably, whoever he was with, he gave that person his library books to return to New Orleans once LHO realized he would not be getting in to Cuba.

Why is there no mention of this in the Warren Report?

JFK Assassination Forum

Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Who returned LHOs library books on Oct 3rd 1963?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
On Sept 19 1963, apparently in anticipation of his expected long bus journey to Mexico City, LHO took out four books from the New Orleans library: Someone then returned them to the New Orleans library on Oct 3rd (at a time when LHO was on his way to Dallas from Mexico). This has to be proof LHO was not on his own in Mexico. Presumably, whoever he was with, he gave that person his library books to return to New Orleans once LHO realized he would not be getting in to Cuba.
I have seen this report before.
I figured [at first] it might have been Oswald's landlady in New Orleans...However--
Mr. LIEBELER - You say he read a lot?
Mrs. GARNER - He sure did.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did you see at any time what he was reading?
Mrs. GARNER - Well, it always was books, like those pocket books and papers, real big books, regular books.
Mr. LIEBELER - You never saw the names of any of the books?
Mrs. GARNER - No; you couldn't get that near him.
In the Did Oswald go to Mexico thread I expressed the doubt that Oswald actually ever went to Mexico City.
I really can't see anyone [packing light] with heavy hardback library books.
So..It could be a clue that Oswald actually didn't really leave New Orleans until the last weekend of September when he returned those books and then to Dallas next seen in the company of [Alpha 66 type individuals?] who showed up at Sylvia Odio's apartment.
She was adamant that "Leon" was definitely Lee Harvey Oswald.
About the books...It could just be that the library didn't get around to stamping their return books until the following week.
It has been noted that Oswald liked spy novels.
Like all of the other mysteries in the case....it was best ignored :-\

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »
On Sept 19 1963, apparently in anticipation of his expected long bus journey to Mexico City, LHO took out four books from the New Orleans library:

Someone then returned them to the New Orleans library on Oct 3rd (at a time when LHO was on his way to Dallas from Mexico). This has to be proof LHO was not on his own in Mexico. Presumably, whoever he was with, he gave that person his library books to return to New Orleans once LHO realized he would not be getting in to Cuba.

You raise an interesting point.

Oswald was in Dallas at the TEC ( Texas Employment Commission?) on the 3rd, in Dallas.  And, en route to Dallas, from Nuevo Laredo, on the 2nd.
For the record, the 2nd and 3rd were weekdays, not weekends, so there is no possible "after hours/holidaySunday closure" explanation.

I think the only legitimate conclusion is that someone else returned the library books. Oswald taking the books to Mexico is conjecture, as is the traveling companion suggestion. Possible, but not proven.

Thanks. More info appreciated.

Addendum: New Orleans is 500 miles East/Southeast of Dallas.
And that is an odd mixture of reading material.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:16:19 PM by John Tonkovich »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
And that is an odd mixture of reading material.
Just science fiction and spies it looks like to me.
Ever read Brave New World?
From Russia with Love....[not released as a film in the USA until the following year]
Seems natural that Lee would want to read that one.
Who was the "Oswald" identified by Sylvia and Annie Odio? If not the genuine Lee then he was another twin imposter.
Still points to a conspiracy either way.
For reference...1963 calendar-----

Offline Margaret Kelly

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
I really can't see anyone [packing light] with heavy hardback library books.

Here is the WC testimony of Oswalds neighbour at 4907 magazine street, New Orleans:

Mr. ROGERS. He had two of them in my estimation, each one in one hand. They looked like these here to me, to my knowledge. I mean, yes. I don't think it was this type [indicating]. I would say this type [indicating].
Mr. LIEBELER. And you are pointing to No. A-l, which is a picture of Commission Exhibit No. 126 and do you think he had two bags that looked like "Commission Exhibit No. 126." Did he carry both in one hand?
Mr. ROGERS. One in each hand.
Mr. LIEBELER. As far as you can tell, he did not have a bag similar to Rogers Exhibit No. 1?
Mr. ROGERS. No, no. It was kind of daylight. You could see. You know what I mean?
Mr. LIEBELER. What makes you sure that he didn't have one like Rogers Exhibit No. 17 Is it a different size?
Mr. ROGERS. It was--they both look like the same size, and they were well packed. They were well stuffed. I know they wasn't light. I don't know what he had in them.

You see, if Oswald and his companion expected Oswald to get to Cuba, and he didn't get there (the cuban consulate wouldn't give him the visa), he would need to ring up his companion and explain why he was now not getting in to Cuba. And on meeting with him, give him and books and allow him to return them back to the New Orleans library. Remember, Oswald and his two companions (at Odios house) said they had just come from New Orleans. So there is a significant possibility it was one of these companions that dropped off the books for Oswald on Oct 3rd.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
Here is the WC testimony of Oswalds neighbour at 4907 magazine street, New Orleans:
Mr. ROGERS. It was--they both look like the same size, and they were well packed. They were well stuffed. I know they wasn't light. I don't know what he had in them. 

Offline Dan DAlimonte

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
On top of everything else there's the David Ferrie's Library card issue.  Did Oswald really have it in New Orleans and Dallas?
Did he ever have it at all?  Was it reversed?

https://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/lib-card.txt
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:00:08 PM by Dan DAlimonte »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:43 PM »

On top of everything else there's the David Ferrie's Library card issue.  Did Oswald really have it in New Orleans and Dallas?
Did he ever have it at all?  Was it reversed?
What it probably could have meant [on the surface] was that it was Oswald's library card and it perhaps had [for some reason] possibly on the back of it..David Ferrie's name and conceivably had information that was not disclosed [like a phone number] That would make more sense. Why would he have had Ferrie's library card? The actual allegation--
Martens told the FBI that Gill had stopped by Ferrie's apartment at about 1:00pm on 11/24/63, and that "Gill stated that he had gotten word that Lee Oswald, when he was picked up, had been carrying a library card with David Ferrie's name on it."