Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?  (Read 17034 times)

Online Robert Reeves

Re: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 01:33:54 AM »
Advertisement
Interesting interview with RFK jnr.

Touches on the subject of his grandfather, Joseph -- denies he was ever a bootlegger, it was a smear created in 1964 ... Says the CIA has waged a battle on the Kennedy's for the last 70 years. Believes the CIA & anti-Castro Cubans carried out the assassination on JFK.

If you're not into the environmental stuff then skip to 1:54:07  --- is where he talks about the Kennedy clan.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 01:33:54 AM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2020, 06:07:11 AM »
"Legend" by Edward J. Epstein has got to be right up there for me.

Although he doesn't say (maybe because James Angleton was still alive?), Epstein's sources appear to have been my pro-Golitsyn, anti-Nosenko heroes Angleton, Tennent H. Bagley, Newton "Scotty" Miler, William Hood, and William Sullivan.

Another book that appears to have some "pearls" in it is "The Man Who Knew Too Much" by Richard Russell.

--  MWT  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:09:46 AM by Thomas Graves »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Plus JFK took responsibility for the Bay of Pigs mess.

The invasion plan was largely Kennedy's. He was intrigued by limited military strikes or operations.

"I am sure that the green beret will be a mark of distinction in the trying times ahead."
          -- John F. Kennedy, memo Oct 12 1961

According to author Irwin F. Gellman, Eisenhower never planned an amphibious assault on Cuba. ( See: "It’s Time to Stop Saying that JFK Inherited the Bay of Pigs Operation from Ike" Link )

He knew beforehand that it had a very low probability of succeeding. His generals told him so. Plus he was a war vet himself.

Kennedy moved the invasion site to the more rural setting of the Bay of Pigs, not knowing the reefs were coral. The local militia was underestimated.

He must have known it was a stupid idea to send 1200 men to fight an army of 200,000 Castro solders.

The idea was to establish a beachhead and fly in a provisional government to declare themselves the rightful government. Then the US would be formally invited to assist them to oust Castro.

The US also seemed to think the local populace would rise up. But most Cubans thought they were better off under Castro than the US-sponsored Bastista. Poor people were getting equal access to healthcare and education. The US didn't want that in their country.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
So hard to get this down to five but here are mine:

Conspiracy - Anthony Summers
Oswald And The CIA - Newman
Our Man In Mexico City - Jeff Morley
Marina And Lee - By Mrs Oswald
The Death of A President - William Manchester

What are yours and why?

From what I can tell, Vincent Bugliosi's 1000-pager is very thorough and quite accurate, and Dale Myers' "With Malice" on the Tippit murder is quite good, too.

Do big-name video productions count? 

If so, then I can't over-recommend National Geographic's "The Lost Bullet," and PBS Nova's "Cold Case: JFK".

--  MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:31:13 PM by Thomas Graves »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »
From what I can tell, Vincent Bugliosi's 1000-pager ....
...would come in handy if you run out of toilet paper.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
...would come in handy if you run out of toilet paper.

Not adequate for that task either...

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »
Not adequate for that task either...

Pretty much not worth spombleprofglidnoctobuns, huh..  looks like you won't be taking a knee at Bugliosi's gravesite any time soon.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »

Offline Richard Rubio

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
1) The JFK Myths: A Scientific Investigation of the Kennedy Assassination, by Larry Sturdivan

2) With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J.D. Tippit, by Dale Myers

3) Case Closed, by Gerald Posner

4) The Death of a President: November 20-November 25, 1963, by William Manchester

5) Reclaiming History: The Assassination Of President John F Kennedy,by Vincent Bugliosi **

**I haven't actually read Bugliosi's book from beginning to end because it's too damn long.

Great list. Yes, Bugliosi's book is the ultimate authority on the assassination, these other books are worth reading too.

I think Gerald Posner is also an authority on the Nazis, I saw him on some documentary the other day, "Nazis, the ultimate evil", pretty good.