Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?  (Read 16412 times)

Offline Margaret Kelly

Re: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
Advertisement
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned 'Accessories After The Fact' by Sylvia Meagher, published in 1967.
I'm working my way through it at the moment, and I think it's terriffic!

Its definitely one of the must read books. And its stood the test of time.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »
**I haven't actually read Bugliosi's book from beginning to end because it's too damn long.

People are better off reading Posner. It’s the same argument made much more succinctly without all of the tedious repetition and rhetoric.

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
I haven't actually read Bugliosi's book from beginning to end because it's too damn long.
People are better off reading Posner. It’s the same argument made much more succinctly without all of the tedious repetition and rhetoric.
  Or you could take both books and go supply some port-o-lets :-\

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »

Offline Margaret Kelly

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Or you could take both books and go supply some port-o-lets :-\

Posner and Bugliosi are well studied in the assassination but they don't allow all the evidence to have its say. That's their big downfall.

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned 'Accessories After The Fact' by Sylvia Meagher, published in 1967.

It's been listed twice before in this thread.

I'm working my way through it at the moment, and I think it's terriffic!

It used to be a favorite of mine. But the book evaluates evidence through an ultra-liberal anti-authority lens. The Commission and police are always painted in a dark light and she's not adverse to introducing her own assumptions.

It is terribly in need of updating, as when she faults the Commission for not publishing (or examining "so far as is known") the photographs and films of Hugh Betzner, Robert J. Hughes and Ralph Simpson (p 25-26). The first two were published in Life magazine a few months after Meagher's book came out, and the Commission determined that "Ralph Simpson" was a prank caller. On page 26, she charges the documentary "Four Days in November" with suppressing a sound track that could "resolve the problems of how many shots were fired, and of the interval between the shots." As if to suggest a cover-up, Meagher writes: "The Warren Report, like the sound track at the crucial moment, is silent." I figure reasonable researchers watching "Four Days in November" would figure out the crowd and motorcycle noises were generic and dubbed.

None of this to do with Betzner, Hughes, "Simpson" and "Four Days" is corrected or amended in the book's 1976 reprint. Yet she faults the Commission for "disbanding" so as not to keep pace with developments.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
Tom: My post was responding to the other poster, Ms. Kelly not yours.

I have no idea what Bush and Beamis and this or that has to do with what Mailer and/or McMillan wrote or what the best books on the assassination are. I think your material is for a different thread.

Posner and Bugliosi are well studied in the assassination but they don't allow all the evidence to have its say. That's their big downfall.

Steve's reply to my presentation of well documented evidence was disingenuous, but at least he replied. You haven't bothered, yet you say, "but they don't allow all the evidence to have its say. ....

In reply to Steve.... Bush thanks three people for meeting to discuss Bush's political future. One, Tom Devine, just happened, as the story goes, to have suddenly come out of long retired CIA officer status to meet with DeMohrenschildt just two weeks after the shooting attempt at Edwin Walker and several more contacts with George DeM. over the next few weeks, "reading in" Bush to segments of the WuBriny Op. Devine just happened to be one of 15 fraternity house residents of Priscilla's CIA handler, Garry Coit.

Another of the three at the 1975 meeting to decide Bush's political future was Bush's best friend. Gerry Bemiss. A kindergartner could glean what Steve claims he does not, out of the Bush "coincidences" in my post.

books.google.com › books
Who's who in Commerce and Industry - Volume 14 - Page 87
FOUND INSIDE - PAGE 87
Va.. Apr. 9, 1915; s. BrianJoseph and Mabel (Johnson) В.: R.S. in Ci-iiistry. U. Va., 1936. B.S. in Chem. En- grinr. ... BEMISS. Fitz Gera Id, hotel and retail store exec, state senator; b. Richmond, Va., Oct. 2, 1922; s. Samuel Merrifield and ...

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=145503&relPageId=135
ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY In ...
PDF
the Hotel Hoorn and slootro hoe the transcript then was absolutely ... Mr. Bemis (?), chairman of the Republican Party in Virginia and owner of "a string of hotels... Billy Joe Lord on 11/30/63, and two copies of an affidavit of a Billy Joe Lord as it ...

And of course, the intriguing item that apparently is not even suitable for discussion, anywhere, ever.... Priscilla testified she was unable to work for a time because her father's death was a concealed suicide. This was the sister of the last man, James A. Thomas, to see Priscilla's father alive and report hims missing to police..... The sister happened to be Eleanor Lansing Thomas, maid of honor and cousin, along with her brother, of Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles and his daughter, the bride.:

Tom Devine's best man just happened to be William B. Macomber, Jr.... former CIA, former top aide to WC commissioner and Yale bonesman, Sen. John Sherman Cooper (R-KY), and top aide to John Foster Dulles. Macomber married another top aide of Dulles, Phyliss Bernau.

Apologies for the kindergarten reference, but it is in reply to Steve turning off his "learned" demeanor to denigrate me personally, reverting to his thoughtful, reasonable "side" after he pulls his, "Scully, I don't know what you're talking about, act."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:14:52 PM by Tom Scully »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »

What book on the assassination does allow all the evidence to have its say? Certainly not 'Accessories After The Fact' by Sylvia Meagher, which you believe has stood the test of time.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 10:38:56 PM »

Posner is a known plagiarist, in Case Closed, and a lot of his other dreck.
His big, uh, contribution, was Oswald's "smirk", which obviously was a sign of guilt.  Yeah.

¹