Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?  (Read 17031 times)

Online Steve M. Galbraith

Re: What are your top 5 JFK assassination books?
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 11:33:23 PM »
Advertisement
It's been listed twice before in this thread.

It used to be a favorite of mine. But the book evaluates evidence through an ultra-liberal anti-authority lens. The Commission and police are always painted in a dark light and she's not adverse to introducing her own assumptions.

It is terribly in need of updating, as when she faults the Commission for not publishing (or examining "so far as is known") the photographs and films of Hugh Betzner, Robert J. Hughes and Ralph Simpson (p 25-26). The first two were published in Life magazine a few months after Meagher's book came out, and the Commission determined that "Ralph Simpson" was a prank caller. On page 26, she charges the documentary "Four Days in November" with suppressing a sound track that could "resolve the problems of how many shots were fired, and of the interval between the shots." As if to suggest a cover-up, Meagher writes: "The Warren Report, like the sound track at the crucial moment, is silent." I figure reasonable researchers watching "Four Days in November" would figure out the crowd and motorcycle noises were generic and dubbed.

None of this to do with Betzner, Hughes, "Simpson" and "Four Days" is corrected or amended in the book's 1976 reprint. Yet she faults the Commission for "disbanding" so as not to keep pace with developments.
Meagher's entire view of the assassination, the view that colored her interpretation of it, can be summed up by her admission that after hearing about the shooting that she said, "I know they'll blame a communist for this."

She had already made her mind up as to what happened.

Of course, a communist wasn't blamed for the assassination. Lee Oswald was blamed. They didn't blame Castro, or the Soviets, or domestic communists; they didn't use the event to create a "Red Scare." They said Oswald, alone, for reasons unknown killed JFK.

If these evil militarists and fanatic anti-communists wanted to use the assassination for their own interests, then why act like this? Why clear Castro? Why clear domestic leftists? Why blame a sole gunman for reasons unknown?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:41:31 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 11:33:23 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 05:50:39 AM »
Posner and Bugliosi are well studied in the assassination but they don't allow all the evidence to have its say. That's their big downfall.
***Insert Gary Coleman catchphrase***

To be honest, I suspect that Posner's book was an attempt to cash in on the furor surrounding Stone's JFK. Through that prism, I didn't expect much from it, but it actually exceeded my expectations. Still, it's something he put together fairly quickly. In comparison, Reclaiming History is a monument to the OCD of Bugliosi's soul. Agree with him or not, there isn't a single work on the assassination with the breadth and depth of Reclaiming History.

....Which is why it's such a massive slog.

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »
So hard to get this down to five but here are mine:

Conspiracy - Anthony Summers
Oswald And The CIA - Newman
Our Man In Mexico City - Jeff Morley
Marina And Lee - By Mrs Oswald
The Death of A President - William Manchester

What are yours and why?

Margaret,

Who needs books when we have the blockbuster movie JFK by Oliver "I Like Vladimir Putin and My Son Works For RT" Stone?

--  MWT  :)

PS  Why would anyone like anything by Jefferson "Nosenko Was A True Defector" Morley?

Have you read my one-star Amazon review, under the username dumptrumputin, of his abominable book The Ghost?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:38:59 PM by Thomas Graves »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline Michael Davidson

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
Its possible to read something and find it valuable even if you disagree with it

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
Its possible to read something and find it valuable even if you disagree with it

Yeah, and when it comes to stuff written about the CIA by Morley and his ilk (Mangold, Wise, James "Jumbo Duh" DiEugenio, Cleveland C. Cram, Bruce Solie, Leonard McCoy, Richards J. Heuer, John L. Hart, et al.), be sure to read Tennent H. Bagley's Spy Wars and Ghosts of the Spy Wars, and Mark Riebling's Wedge, first, otherwise you'll just become another "useful idiot" for KGB-Mafia boy, Vladimir Putin.

SPY WARS (2007)

https://archive.org/details/SpyWarsMolesMysteriesAndDeadlyGames/page/n3/mode/2up

GHOSTS OF THE SPY WARS  (2014)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08850607.2014.962362

WEDGE: THE SECRET WAR BETWEEN THE FBI AND CIA (1994)
https://archive.org/details/WedgeFromPearlHarborTo911HowTheSecretWarBetweenTheFBIAndCIAHasEndangeredNationalSecurity
--  MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:13:13 PM by Thomas Graves »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »

Offline Michael Davidson

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
The point surely is to read various sources and think for yourself , thereby avoiding becoming a fan boi of either Mr Putin or the CIA ...

Offline Margaret Kelly

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
PS  Why would anyone like anything by Jefferson "Nosenko Was A True Defector" Morley?

Have you read my one-star Amazon review, under the username dumptrumputin, of his abominable book The Ghost?

I think Morley is well read in the JFK assassination. I don't think he'd fall under the category of conspiracy theorist. He seems to be logical.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »
Bugliosi argued against the Zapruder film alteration claim with words and logic. He didn't refute specific visual examples as published in books like "Murder in Dealey Plaza" (2000) and "The Great Zapruder Film Hoax" (2003). If that sort of thing is what's meant by not allowing the evidence?

The book isn't a visual format and photogrammetry isn't Bugliosi's area of expertise. Nor is photogrammetry a strong suit with CT Alterationists.