Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Was There a Dedicated Fork Lift Operator for the TSBD Warehouse?  (Read 4905 times)

Online Royell Storing

Re: Was There a Dedicated Fork Lift Operator for the TSBD Warehouse?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:10:18 PM »
Advertisement
Not one truck, but two. DuVall says he and another worker were instructed to take two (garbled) to the TSBD, spot them, and load them. The forklift was not the only "Say What?" moment in the oral history. I could only listen to 15 minutes of the 41 minute history before I could not take any more.

The "loading" of a truck with the use of a forklift or forklifts makes sense. The sheer weight of a pallet with product loaded atop it would most likely rule out the use of a Hand Jack/Pallet Jack. It can be done, but to do this day-in-day-out would be horrendously counter productive. Who knows? Maybe these truck(s) were used/owned by the TSBD and the forklifts were Exclusively used to load/unload trucks and therefore housed Inside the trucks. This would account for No Images of TSBD forklifts. The hand jacks/pallet jacks were dedicated for use Inside the TSBD. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:12:16 PM by Royell Storing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:10:18 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
DuVall sounds like he was blowing some big ones.  He also indicated he was sitting on the steps of the TSBD and when JFKs car approached he saw a man in black car parked next to the TSBD get out with a rifle.  Something no film or photos shows.

when JFKs car approached he saw a man in black car parked next to the TSBD get out with a rifle

Unless the clown saw a cop get out with a shotgu, and thought it was a Man with a rifle ....There's no explanation for the clown's tale.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
The more I think about it, the less I think that there was a forklift at the TSBD. Forklifts are very heavy even without carrying a load. A small one like we had where I used to work weighed 10,000lbs all by itself. I can’t imagine that any of the wooden floors would have withstood the weight of a forklift. It would have  fallen through the floor. I have seen that happen even on a concrete floor that wasn’t designed for that much weight...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 09:26:09 PM »
  It's 1963, it's the South, and OSHA ain't the OSHA we know today. I would bet that most every Tom, Dick, and Harry that had been at the TSBD 2 weeks would be capable of handling an alleged forklift when mandated by mgt or a straw boss like Shelley. I would Not be surprised if they shuttled the same forklift between the 2 TSBD's. They also had a railroad spur running behind the TSBD which wrapped around the rear of the Pergola. I doubt TSBD employees would be loading/unloading the railroad cars sitting on this Spur by hand. My major concerns would be: (1) Where was the alleged TRUCK specifically located while being unloaded? and (2) Was the truck gone by the time the JFK Limo passed by the TSBD? We already have that mysterious Laundry Truck that was parked at the corner of Elm/Houston St/ right alongside the Dal Tex Bld. This Laundry Truck Immediately Vanished after the Kill Shot. Now, we are hearing about an Additional Truck that was present at the TSBD 30 minutes before the Kill Shot. Mmmmmmm...........

Have you ever operated a fork lift AKA "tow motor" in a cramped commercial or industrial environment, navigating the thing from floor to floor, with a load, on and off a freight elevator?

I have several thousand hours experience, servicing "piece work" process machine operators with a continuous supply of pre-processed material to keep their machines operating without interruption.

Are you aware these lift trucks steer via the rear wheels, each turn of the steering wheel having the opposite effect of conventional front wheel steering, or that visibility in front is difficult with a load on the forks when
attempting entry onto a freight elevator... judging when the vehicle is deep enough intp the elevator to be able to close the door? Are you aware that these lift trucks "rock" like a see-saw when overloaded, lifting the rear, steering wheels off the ground, making control impossible without adequate experience using braking and acceleration to set the rear, steering wheels on the ground long enough to even make a turn when "see-sawing"?

If not, why did you bother to post? Supervisors need to walk arounf their own shop. The last thing a supervisor conscious of his own safety would do is to permit inexperienced workers to operate a fork lift. This is why, in the interests of safety and efficiency, most commercial operations designate who operates a fork lift regularly and who does not. A loading dock requires experienced lift truck operators even more than other work areas because of the potential to damage a delivery truck while maneuvering the lifting forks in a dark, confined area like the inside of an enclosed truck. Untill you've maneuvered a large lift truck on and off a flatbed trailer with no side walls, one front drive wheel partially extended into open aire on the flatbed edge with a four ton load on the forks, you haven't lived!

I once had to page at an airport an executive of the company I had driven a lift truck at before I was promoted into management, to advise him that his son. just graduated from high school and working that summer as a temporary maintenance crew member, was in the emergency room receiving treatment for pelvic and abdominal injuries resulting from "contact" with a lift truck that had trapped him against the back wall of the freight elevator the two were sharing.

There is no actual evidence the individual making the claims about Oswald unloading his truck with a fork lift was actually even at TSBD that day, and certainly none that he sat on the TSBD vestibule steps. as he claimed, more than forty years later!

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »
   The "loading" of a truck with the use of a forklift or forklifts makes sense. The sheer weight of a pallet with product loaded atop it would most likely rule out the use of a Hand Jack/Pallet Jack. It can be done, but to do this day-in-day-out would be horrendously counter productive. Who knows? Maybe these truck(s) were used/owned by the TSBD and the forklifts were Exclusively used to load/unload trucks and therefore housed Inside the trucks. This would account for No Images of TSBD forklifts. The hand jacks/pallet jacks were dedicated for use Inside the TSBD.

Except you offer no cites in support of your posted opinion and we are discussing the claims, made more than forty years later, of an individual who offered no actual proof he and his delivery truck were at TSBD on November 22.

At least I can offer a cite from a source making a clearly contradictory claim.... no forklifts at TSBD....
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=48712&relPageId=9

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:34:40 PM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »

Online Royell Storing

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
Except you offer no cites in support of your posted opinion and we are discussing the claims, made more than forty years later, of an individual who offered no actual proof he and his delivery truck were at TSBD on November 22.

At least I can offer a cite from a source making a clearly contradictory claim.... no forklifts at TSBD....

For whatever reason You are Ignoring the Loading of product ONTO a truck. You are also Ignoring the possible Staging of product when a Forklift Unloaded it Off of a truck, and that same product then being relocated throughout the TSBD via Hand Jack(s). And then there is your Ignoring the possible Fork Lift loading of product onto the rail cars situated on the Railroad Spur behind the TSBD. Maybe the Trump Exoneration has you on the wrong side of the bed today?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:59:49 PM by Royell Storing »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 12:14:22 AM »

Congratulations on your awesome use of the Advanced Search function at the Ferrell website, Mr Scully. You continue to astonish us with your skillset!

Now! We note that the writer of the article you link to offers no backup for their claim. So where have they gotten this 'information' from?

And do you have sufficient faith in the writer's judgment to accept their dramatic argument that the (alleged) absence of a fork-lift at the Depository suggests that the "heavily framed wooden crates" seen by Mr Hurt on the sixth floor in 1983 did not originally contain books but something rather more nefarious?

Thumb1:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:16:19 AM by Alan Ford »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 12:14:22 AM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 01:50:03 AM »
This seems as good as place as any to post my two and half pages of notes (scribbles) of the first 15 minutes of the 41 minute oral history of Ken DuVall. I can still read most of my notes. Wherever Mr. DuVall speaks of his actions he uses 'we', as his co-worker apparently went where DuVall went. In this first 15 minutes Stephan Fagin (interviewer) tried twice to return to his observations of Oswald in the 2nd floor lunchroom In my opinion Mr. DuVall was somewhat vague and dismissive with that questioning. Please excuse the many spelling errors throughout the notes.
Page1

Page2

Page3

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:53:54 AM by James Hackerott »