Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's Passport History  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Oswald's Passport History
« on: February 04, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »
Advertisement
Lee Oswald was issued a passport on Sept 10, 1959. It apparently was only good for 4 years. Odd---I thought passports were good for 10 years, but I had never had one until later in life....My earlier travels were all made using my military ID.
Oswald's 1959 passport---  https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh18/pdf/WH18_CE_946.pdf
... Passports now-a-days are digitized with magnetic strips and stuff. But it takes 6-8 weeks and $110 to regularly process one.
Does it really take weeks to install photos and strips?
Oswald's passport states [again with this] his height as 5' 11''. Any customs would catch that today. They know how tall you are before you ever get to their window. His profession is a "Shipping Export Agent". Why not photographer? I guess he couldn't spell it.
Auspicious overtures were made concerning attendance to an Albert- Schweitzer College [a $25 remittance had been made some months earlier]
Detailed research on this incident...  http://coverthistory.blogspot.com/2005/07/oswald-and-albert-schweitzer-college.html
We know that Oswald did not attend college but found his way to Finland. What prompted this was never determined.
More of a mystery is how he managed to travel to London ...and fly from there to Helsinki...stay at two hotels...apply for and receive a visa to enter the Soviet Union and does so in less than a week.
Oswald's USSR entry visa was issued in twenty-four hours (or less), not forty-eight hours as previously alleged. Since the beginning, everyone has been questioning the rapidity with which Oswald's visa was issued.  It was generally held that Oswald requested his visa on Monday, October 12, the first business day after his arrival in Helsinki. His passport shows that his Soviet entry visa was issued on October 14, a mere forty-eight hours later.  Normally, tourist visas took approximately five to seven days to be issued. This unusually rapid issue of Oswald's visa is sometimes cited as evidence of Soviet facilitation of his entry into the USSR.
     In fact, the situation appears even worse that that:  the visa was issued in twenty-four hours or less!    Lee Harvey Oswald's 1959 visa application form is still held in Russian archives, but KGB Colonel Oleg Nechiporenko reproduced a photographic copy of it in his 1993 book, Passport to Assassination .   In the photo it can be seen that the form is dated and signed by Oswald on  October 13, one day later than previously thought. It is unlikely that the Soviet Consular bureaucracy would have allowed Oswald to make a mistake on the dating of the application form.  He signed and submitted it on 13 October and within a mere twenty-four hours, the Soviet consulate approved and stamped Oswald's entry visa into his passport.
The HSCA looked into this. It is almost as if Oswald's visa was already waiting for him. More...  http://www.russianbooks.org/oswald/journey.htm

The Blue Ribbon Warren Commission chose to answer how Oswald financed and wrangled this aspect of his life by ignoring it or perhaps maybe accepting [based on nothing] that he must have been very frugal with his military savings and was miraculously fortuitous ::)
In June 1962 Oswald leaves with a baby daughter listed on his passport. Marina apparently had her own. The Oswalds traveled through Poland and East Germany according to the stamps.
Oswald's 1959 passport had not expired until Sept 1963 but as we can see--it appears to have been voided/cancelled rendering it useless for world travel.
Mr Freeman is correct.
The "Australian girls", commenting on Oswald"s passport and it's "Russian" stamps, are incorrect.
If you look closely at Oswalds's passport application, regarding his old passport, there is a box checked, indicating the applicant is turning in his old passport,...the one showing his travels out of The Soviet Union.
Perhaps he didn't turn it in. One can lie and say they lost their passport. How was it ever located?--- #Anyone?
A passport was not required for entry and travel into Mexico in 1963. By 1974, a passport was requested if one traveled 30 miles beyond the border and stayed some extensive time. Allegedly Oswald applied for a new passport in New Orleans Jun 24 '63. Was he planning a trip to Cuba/USSR with it? The BRWC believers suggest --Of course!-- [based on no evidence]
I haven't ever been able to locate a link with that 1963 passport application....#Anybody?
I have never seen a page showing the actual 1963 passport--- as far as I know...it was never located [I wonder why?]

JFK Assassination Forum

Oswald's Passport History
« on: February 04, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »

Online Charles Collins

Re: Oswald's Passport History
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
Lee Oswald was issued a passport on Sept 10, 1959. It apparently was only good for 4 years. Odd---I thought passports were good for 10 years, but I had never had one until later in life....My earlier travels were all made using my military ID.
Oswald's 1959 passport---  https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh18/pdf/WH18_CE_946.pdf
... Passports now-a-days are digitized with magnetic strips and stuff. But it takes 6-8 weeks and $110 to regularly process one.
Oswald's passport states [again with this] his height as 5' 11''. Any customs would catch that today. They know how tall you are before you ever get to their window. His profession is a "Shipping Export Agent". Why not photographer? I guess he couldn't spell it.
Auspicious overtures were made concerning attendance to an Albert- Schweitzer College [a $25 remittance had been made some months earlier]
Detailed research on this incident...  http://coverthistory.blogspot.com/2005/07/oswald-and-albert-schweitzer-college.html
We know that Oswald did not attend college but found his way to Finland. What prompted this was never determined.
More of a mystery is how he managed to travel to London ...and fly from there to Helsinki...stay at two hotels...apply for and receive a visa to enter the Soviet Union and does so in less than a week. The HSCA looked into this. It is almost as if Oswald's visa was already waiting for him. More...  http://www.russianbooks.org/oswald/journey.htm

The Blue Ribbon Warren Commission chose to answer how Oswald financed and wrangled this aspect of his life by ignoring it or perhaps maybe accepting [based on nothing] that he must have been very frugal with his military savings and was miraculously fortuitous ::)
In June 1962 Oswald leaves with a baby daughter listed on his passport. Marina apparently had her own. The Oswalds traveled through Poland and East Germany according to the stamps.
Oswald's 1959 passport had not expired until Sept 1963 but as we can see--it appears to have been voided/cancelled rendering it useless for world travel. Perhaps he didn't turn it in. One can lie and say they lost their passport. How was it ever located?--- #Anyone?
A passport was not required for entry and travel into Mexico in 1963. By 1974, a passport was requested if one traveled 30 miles beyond the border and stayed some extensive time. Allegedly Oswald applied for a new passport in New Orleans Jun 24 '63. Was he planning a trip to Cuba/USSR with it? The BRWC believers suggest --Of course!-- [based on no evidence]
I haven't ever been able to locate a link with that 1963 passport application....#Anybody?
I have never seen a page showing the actual 1963 passport--- as far as I know...it was never located [I wonder why?]

What is your source for the 1974 - 30-miles beyond the border requirement? I had assumed that it was the same in 1963.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
More of a mystery is how he managed to travel to London ...and fly from there to Helsinki...stay at two hotels...apply for and receive a visa to enter the Soviet Union and does so in less than a week. The HSCA looked into this. It is almost as if Oswald's visa was already waiting for him. More...  http://www.russianbooks.org/oswald/journey.htm

Oswald's 1959 passport had not expired until Sept 1963 but as we can see--it appears to have been voided/cancelled rendering it useless for world travel. Perhaps he didn't turn it in. One can lie and say they lost their passport. How was it ever located?--- #Anyone?

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1134#relPageId=692&tab=page

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1139#relPageId=850&tab=page

You're Welcome...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
Oswald's 1959 passport - the one with the stamps from the Soviet Union and other countries - can also be seen - more clearly - here. It was found among his possessions by the Dallas Police Department. I'll assume they photographed it and then gave it to the FBI for analysis.

It is here: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth338438/m1/1/

If you search through the pages you'll see the word "canceled" or "void" on several of them. It appears that it was canceled but he was allowed to keep it. Which he did unless one thinks that it was planted.

And if you do a search for "passports" at that site you can see photos of Marina's passport and other photos of pages taken from the Oswald passport.

I will suggest that this is the passport that he showed the Australian women who testified that they saw him on the bus headed for Mexico City.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:35:35 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »
What is your source for the 1974 - 30-miles beyond the border requirement? I had assumed that it was the same in 1963.
My mother went to Guatemala [maybe later than that]  I was in Mexico 1974.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1139#relPageId=850&tab=page
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1134#relPageId=692&tab=page
You're Welcome...
Better than google.
The upper picture is the passport picture of 1963 There were usually four of those when taken. Two are given back and the others are placed in the passport and stapled to the application.

The lower picture is the visa application photo. They don't look like photos that were taken just 3 months apart.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:47 AM »
On the New Orleans Jun 24 1963 passport list ..about 25 names...Oswald's name had a NO beside it.
When explaining stuff-- Frances Knight testified
Mr. COLEMAN. Is it your testimony that if when the teletype had come in from New Orleans, and someone in your office had gone and looked at the passport file, and found out that Oswald attempted to defect in 1959 and had made the statements that he made at the Embassy in 1959, that nevertheless you feel that under the existing regulations you would have to issue him a passport?
Miss KNIGHT. Yes; we would. We wouldn't have had a lookout card based on that at the time of his application for a passport because all the situations we mentioned were resolved by that time.
Mr. COLEMAN. I would like to show you a Commission document which has already been marked as Exhibit No. 951, which is the standard operating notice of the passport office, dated February 28, 1962, and ask you are you familiar with this document?
Miss KNIGHT. Excuse me for a second, please. There is one subsequent to this.
Mr. COLEMAN. Yes; but that is the one that was in effect as of June 1963, isn't it?
Miss KNIGHT. Yes.
Mr. COLEMAN. Attached thereto is a list which indicates the various categories for the lookout card.
Miss KNIGHT. That is right.
Mr. COLEMAN. Would you look at category K, and I would like to ask you whether the information which was in the file on Mr. Oswald, including the FBI reports, which were in the file of June 1963, should have caused Oswald to be put in category K?
Miss KNIGHT. No; I don't think so.
Mr. COLEMAN. How about category R?
Mr. DULLES. Could you read category K?
Miss KNIGHT. Yes; certainly. "K" is "Known or suspected Communist or subversive". And "does not include those falling within categories O and P".
Mr. COLEMAN. Would you tell me what "O" and "P" categories are?
Miss KNIGHT. "O" is a category of cards in which the FBI has special interest. And "P" is also a project of the same sort.
Mr. COLEMAN. Has the FBI ever put defectors in that category?
Miss KNIGHT. Yes; we are given the names and we put a lookout card in the file. But we are not told the reason why. We simply advise the agency involved.
Mr. COLEMAN. In other words, if the FBI merely sends you a report on a
particular person, that wouldn't cause you to put someone in "O" and "P"? It is only when the FBI says put the person in "O" or "P"?
Miss KNIGHT. Only when a request is specific.
Mr. COLEMAN. How about category "R", if you will put that in the record.
Representative FORD. May I ask a question first, what is the criteria for the determination as to whether or not a person is a Communist?
We weren't told what M and N meant and thanks to Mr Ford...what R meant.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
My mother went to Guatemala [maybe later than that]  I was in Mexico 1974. Better than google.
The upper picture is the passport picture of 1963 There were usually four of those when taken. Two are given back and the others are placed in the passport and stapled to the application.

The lower picture is the visa application photo. They don't look like photos that were taken just 3 months apart.

To save a few bucks, my first passport picture was taken by my secretary and printed in my office on a dot matrix printer. There were certain requirements that it had to meet. They were explained in the instructions for the passport application. When I turned in the application the lady asked if I had printed the photo on a printer. I said yes, then she accepted it and stapled it to the application.

Based on the appearance, LHO’s known frugality, and lack of excess money, I would suggest that he most likely used an old photo for the visa application.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:06:11 AM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline Ted Shields

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »

Why not?