Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Is the revolver a S&W?  (Read 16564 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Is the revolver a S&W?
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »
Advertisement
Looks like a 4" holster.....
Why show a picture above of a 4 inch barrel if the pistol in question was a 2 inch snub nose?

Looks like a 4" holster....

Not really, but arguable. Above is a holster that fits a 4" barrel S&W Victory .38. In the evidence photo, compare the width of the sun glasses to the length of the holster at the area that covers the barrel. Keep in mind the holster has a significant height (above the floor tiles) and only measure the outside surface of the holster. The dimensions of that part of the Beckley holster and the sunglasses width are relatively close. My glasses measure a little over 5" in width. Therefore the Beckley holster should measure about the same. The best I can tell the holster (replica of one that was made for the 4" S&W Victory revolver measures a little over 6.5" at the part that covers the barrel.

Smith & Wesson Victory Specs
Caliber: .38 Special
Barrel: 4 inches
OA Length: 8.98 inches
Weight: 34 ounces (empty)
Grips: Walnut
Sights: Front blade, notch rear
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Parkerized
Capacity: 6

Why show a picture above of a 4 inch barrel if the pistol in question was a 2 inch snub nose?

The question by Walt was regarding the appearance of the handle. I was showing the difference in the handles of the Victory model versus the police model from the available photos in a book. Barrel lengths of the Victory models made for the British were 4", 5", and 6". Oswald's was originally a 5" (which was modified to a 2").

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 02:21:59 AM »

CE 143

Holster would fit Oswald's revolver

Best a kook could manage

Blue Ribbon Commission - 56 Years On and Findings Still Valid

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 04:08:12 AM »
“Oswald’s revolver”. LOL.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 04:08:12 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 04:38:33 AM »
  Oswald's was originally a 5" (which was modified to a 2").
So they say. Where was any ammo kept? Where was any gun cleaning stuff?

If you look at the bullets in the gun belt, you can see that the shells are covered by the holder in exactly the same position as the red box above.
The corrosion reveals that the shells were in either a bullet slide ( above, top right ) or a gun belt ( above, bottom right ) for a long period of time.
In fact, no evidence exists that Oswald either owned a bullet slide or a gun belt and neither was ever found by authorities among Oswald's possessions.
  https://www.giljesus.com/proof-the-dallas-police-falsified-evidence-against-oswald.html

Offline Joffrey van de Wiel

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
Did the holster come with the gun or did Oswald acquire it separately? Strange that although (supposedly) ordered months apart, the rifle and the revolver were shipped on the exact same date.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »

Looks like a 4" holster....

Not really, but arguable. Above is a holster that fits a 4" barrel S&W Victory .38. In the evidence photo, compare the width of the sun glasses to the length of the holster at the area that covers the barrel. Keep in mind the holster has a significant height (above the floor tiles) and only measure the outside surface of the holster. The dimensions of that part of the Beckley holster and the sunglasses width are relatively close. My glasses measure a little over 5" in width. Therefore the Beckley holster should measure about the same. The best I can tell the holster (replica of one that was made for the 4" S&W Victory revolver measures a little over 6.5" at the part that covers the barrel.

Smith & Wesson Victory Specs
Caliber: .38 Special
Barrel: 4 inches
OA Length: 8.98 inches
Weight: 34 ounces (empty)
Grips: Walnut
Sights: Front blade, notch rear
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Parkerized
Capacity: 6

The question by Walt was regarding the appearance of the handle. I was showing the difference in the handles of the Victory model versus the police model from the available photos in a book. Barrel lengths of the Victory models made for the British were 4", 5", and 6". Oswald's was originally a 5" (which was modified to a 2").

The question by Walt was regarding the appearance of the handle. I was showing the difference in the handles of the Victory model versus the police model

Yes that's right, and thank you for posting the photos....   Notice that the SW has a "hump" at the rear of the hammer....  This "hump was designed to keep the revolver from rotating backward in the shooters hand ( ie; give the shooter a good grip on the gun)   The revolver on Lee's hip in CE 133A does not seem to have that "hump"

Jerry posted a picture of a western style "six shooter"..... Notice the six shooter does not have the "hump" like a S&W..

https://www.giljesus.com/proof-the-dallas-police-falsified-evidence-against-oswald.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:46:21 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
The question by Walt was regarding the appearance of the handle. I was showing the difference in the handles of the Victory model versus the police model

Yes that's right, and thank you for posting the photos....   Notice that the SW has a "hump" at the rear of the hammer....  This "hump was designed to keep the revolver from rotating backward in the shooters hand ( ie; give the shooter a good grip on the gun)   The revolver on Lee's hip in CE 133A does not seem to have that "hump"

Jerry posted a picture of a western style "six shooter"..... Notice the six shooter does not have the "hump" like a S&W..

Walt, in the photo below, is the yellow arrow pointing to the "hump" you keep harping about?

If your answer is yes, then my interpretation of the hump on the pistol in CE 133A is shown in the cropped portion of it (below):

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »

Walt, in the photo below, is the yellow arrow pointing to the "hump" you keep harping about?

If your answer is yes, then my interpretation of the hump on the pistol in CE 133A is shown in the cropped portion of it (below):

Thank you.... For offering your opinion.   I'm not sure that I agree...let's see if others will look at the revolver and offer their opinion.