Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Cold Case Hammarskjöld  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Cold Case Hammarskjöld
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
Advertisement
This 2019 Sundance-Award-winning film made it to my cable package last week and I watched it last night.

One brief incidental mention of the Kennedy assassination. The film is quirky but casual in presentation. At the end, it acknowledges that it's broader theory (a para-military group spreading AIDS to Africans through clinics) is medically-improbable. Something more tangible was the "playing card" stuffed into Hammerarskjold's collar, said by the documentary to be the CIA's "calling card" Ace of Spades. FWIU, the death picture first appeared in 2012.

"The Guardian" seems to have a lot on the crash mystery ( Link ).

JFK Assassination Forum

Cold Case Hammarskjöld
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »

Offline Richard Rubio

Re: Cold Case Hammarskjöld
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »
Very good links. I will watch for this show.

That time, post World War II was so fascinating, Suez Canal crisis, just a fascinating time in history.  I will check the Guardian, nice touch.

I also posted on Hammarskjold about 3 weeks ago but this is very welcome as well. They are reopening the investigation.

It was a dicey time, it's hard to judge history from the present time.  I know a bit about why Dag went to Africa.

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »
Netflick is running "Who Killed Malcolm X?", a six-part documentary. The show makes the case that two of the three assassins were falsely convicted. ( Netflix Link )

I just watched Episode One and liked the prospect of firsthand forensic evidence being examined and the tie-in to how poorly African-Americans are treated today. Not much has changed, the show laments.

"The Assassination of Malcolm X is Being Reinvestigated After Questions Raised in a Netflix series" ( CNN Link )

The assassination happened 55 years ago this February 21st. I guess it was the first major gun violence story after the JFK assassination and maybe the major one before the Texas Tower Sniper. I suspect true-crime mini-series is one of Netflix's most watched categories and they seem intent on filling the demand. A few weeks ago I watched Netflix's five-part "Who Killed Little Gregory?", released 2019.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 05:16:19 AM »
This 2019 Sundance-Award-winning film made it to my cable package last week and I watched it last night.

One brief incidental mention of the Kennedy assassination. The film is quirky but casual in presentation. At the end, it acknowledges that it's broader theory (a para-military group spreading AIDS to Africans through clinics) is medically-improbable. Something more tangible was the "playing card" stuffed into Hammerarskjold's collar, said by the documentary to be the CIA's "calling card" Ace of Spades. FWIU, the death picture first appeared in 2012.

"The Guardian" seems to have a lot on the crash mystery ( Link ).

Jerry,

The evil, evil, evil CIA did it, right?

--  MWT  ;)

Offline Richard Rubio

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »
If anyone has netflix,  there is this movie, "Siege of Jadotville", I had no idea about this. It occurred in DR Congo/Zaire (Congo Crisis) back in the day,  1961... and I can't speak for how accurate the movie is but it has the plane crash that killed Hammarskjold in the movie. Fascinating....

Per the movie, how many here know that Irish troops went to Congo as UN soldiers back in 1961 (and maybe earlier)??   We seem to have a number of posters from the UK and maybe Ireland too, so some might find this fascinating.
The Siege of Jadotville is a 2016 action-war film directed by Richie Smyth[2] and written by Kevin Brodbin. An Irish-South African production, the film is based on Declan Power's book, The Siege at Jadotville: The Irish Army's Forgotten Battle (2005), about an Irish Army unit's role in the UN peacekeeping mission in the Congo in September 1961.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siege_of_Jadotville_(film)

Regular wikipedia article on event itself:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville  (By the way, the siege of Jadotville occurred in September 1961, the same month Hammarskjold's plane went down also in Congo)

Movie trailer:

I'd recommend it and... there is also a movie of Patrice Lumumba one can see on youtube, well made movie in the French language, Lumumba was murdered in January 1961:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Lumumba

So, I see references to historic events, that time was extremely fascinating.

And you know, the uranium that went into the atom bombs dropped on Japan in the war, that uranium came from Congo, there was a book that came out, "Spies in the Congo" or something, the Germans were allegedly also trying to get uranium from there.

But that "Siege" movie, I can't recommend it highly enough.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:09:47 PM by Richard Rubio »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »