Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Is this a Mal Couch Clip?  (Read 6868 times)

Online James Hackerott

Is this a Mal Couch Clip?
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:45:26 AM »
Advertisement

This 32 frame clip is included with several, shuffled, Mal Couch clips in the JFK: The Ruby Connection video documentary - about 10 years ago, iirc. The video editor tainted all the Couch frames with sepia, for artistic value I guess. The camera location is just west of Haygood's parked motorcycle. I don't remember seeing this clip any other time.

JFK Assassination Forum

« on: January 11, 2020, 12:45:26 AM »

Offline Markus Ell

Re: Is this a Mal Couch Clip?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:30 PM »
Hello Mr. James Hackerott.

I found the scene in question in a video by Helmer Reenberg. There the scene is assigned to the couch film. The film has a longer duration (you can see, for example, how Malcolm Couch drives past the Babushka Lady). Unfortunately, the couch film is not of very good quality and Darnell and Couch are all too easily confused.

Here i uploaded a Screenshot:

Here is the link to the film in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmexsNkEiHc

Hope this helps you.

Best wishes

Markus

Offline Markus Ell

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »
Oops,

I forgot to mention that this scene was also seen on David Von Pein's JFK YouTube channel. The name of the video is:
JFK'S ASSASSINATION (WFAA-TV COVERAGE) (PART 2).

For safety's sake the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4Fv4xsM4Y&list=PL0O5WNzrZqIOp-NaY1P1TIr-zWKPVBL9Q&index=2

The film scene you are looking for appears after about 30 minutes and 35 seconds. The film also includes footage of Darnell and, as far as I know, other cameramen.

Sorry for forgetting to mention it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »

Offline Denis Morissette

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:04 PM »
That’s Couch. I think he went on to Parkland when Alyea told him that he would be covering Dealey Plaza.

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:28 PM »
Oops,

I forgot to mention that this scene was also seen on David Von Pein's JFK YouTube channel. The name of the video is:
JFK'S ASSASSINATION (WFAA-TV COVERAGE) (PART 2).

For safety's sake the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4Fv4xsM4Y&list=PL0O5WNzrZqIOp-NaY1P1TIr-zWKPVBL9Q&index=2

The film scene you are looking for appears after about 30 minutes and 35 seconds. The film also includes footage of Darnell and, as far as I know, other cameramen.

Sorry for forgetting to mention it.
Markus, thank you very much. Those clips, although very blurry (as you noted), leave me with no doubt the blurry clip I posted is indeed a Mal Couch clip.

As noted by Richard Trask in Pictures of the Pain Mal Couch and Robert Jackson bailed from their CameraCar3 after convincing the driver to let them off after passing the Triple Under Pass. Apparently, Jackson made it back to the rail yard in time for him to be filmed by John Martin Jr, along with Roger Craig etc. Couch probably returned to the plaza along the sidewalk that passes through the north TUP tunnel, and films this subject scene at Haygood's parked motorcycle.  For me, this is a new film clip. I am especially happy the scene includes the peristyle wall shadow in the background. That shadow, along with the nearby wall holes (cutouts), can be used to timestamp the clip. Very unfortunate for me is all three versions of that clip (mine and the two you linked) are hopelessly blurry-so much I can't make out the wall holes at all!

There is an indirect way to timestamp the scene by noting the similarity to a photo taken by Frank Cancellare from atop the knoll.  Below is the Cancellare image from Robin Unger's online photo collection.

That photo shows a peristyle wall shadow equivalent to about 12:32.
https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,2013.0.html

At lower right we see a man with thinning hair and hand in his left pants pocket. Near him is a man with his back to the camera wearing a Stetson style hat. In the street behind them we see the rear half of Haygood's parked motorcycle.  I believe these two men are near Couch's camera and center frame in the film clip.

Other similarities with Cancellare's photo are Mary Moorman with Jim Featherston standing along the south curb of Elm. To their right (photo left) is a standing man wearing a dark jacket with white pants. Cancellare's photo includes Charles Brehm with his son, still at the south Elm curb. Brehm and son are not present in the Couch clip.

1. This Couch clip was taken very shortly after the Cancellare photo and puts the Couch scene estimated time at 12:32-12:33.

At my visit to the Sixth Floor Museum's Reading Room I briefly viewed their Couch film scenes filmed in Dealey Plaza. I noted early in my notes that the museum's copy is slightly blurry, about the same as found in many documentary DVDs. I made a timeline of the scenes but made no mention of this clip in my notes. I don't know if I just missed it or it was not present. I do know that now I will pay very special attention to the museum's version for this scene. My hope is the clip is that their clip has enough clarity to determine a time stamp from the peristyle wall shadow.

Thank you again Markus for taking the time to locate those video references.

James

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline Denis Morissette

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
Gary Mack told me that the quality of the original is excellent. I don’t think so!

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »
Gary Mack told me that the quality of the original is excellent. I don’t think so!
I'll mention that to Krishna when I'm ready to make an appointment.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline Denis Morissette

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 09:38:25 PM »
Please keep an eye on the Babushka Lady in Couch.