Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 5.6 seconds or 4.9 seconds (between magic bullet and head shot)?  (Read 8741 times)

Offline Margaret Kelly

Advertisement
The Magic Bullet: Z224
The Head Shot: Z313

That is a difference of 89 frames. If Zapruders camera was operating at 18.3 frames per second (i know that is an average speed and might not be entirely accurate at any given point on the Zapruder film), that would mean the time difference between these two shots was 4.9 seconds (4.86 seconds to be exact).

So why do documentaries often say there was 5.6 seconds between these two shots? And rifle re-enactments are trying to get off 3 shots in 5.6 seconds (for example, History channels "JFK: The Definitive Guide" tries to get off 3 shots in 5.6 seconds which they succeed in doing - hitting the target on all 3 shots) ...not to mention Josiah Thompsons "6 Seconds In Dallas".

Where are they getting 5.6 seconds or 6 seconds from? Are they trying to squeeze in a 3rd shot right before JFK goes behind the sign (in which case that would be the "first shot" fired)?

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Zeon Mason

Re: 5.6 seconds or 4.9 seconds (between magic bullet and head shot)?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 03:37:26 AM »
They knew from their closest ear witness Harold Norman, that 3 shots had been fired

They examined the Z-film and identified 223 and 313 as 2 shots fired in 4.8 sec

Will Fritz found 3 shells supposedly confirming their closest ear witness Harold Norman was not mistaken In having heard three shots

They could not dismiss the vast majority of witnesses who heard at least 3 shots

They had a problem which became apparent only AFTER the test firing of the MC rifle: It was IMPOSSIBLE to fire 3 shots in 4.8 sec and especially so,given ear witness describing last 2 shots heard “back to back”, or about 1 sec apart as per Lee Bowers

Since they had already been directed by LBJ and Hoover that the public must be convinced of no conspiracy and “Oswald is our man”, there could be no 2nd gunman

They had no choice but to conjure up some alternative explanations such as

1. The ear witnesses who heard 3 shots rapidly fired and the last 2 back to back were mistaken in their perception of time

2. Because of alternative no.1, therefore it is possible 3 shots were fired over a longer span of time

3. Given no.2 is possible then the 1st shot fired must have been at least about 2.5 sec prior to Z233 which is the necessary minimal time required for the bolt action cycle to reload and squeeze trigger.
4. Following from no.3 and adding a further observation of a quick turn of Jackie Kennedy’s head occurring about Z160-Z-170, yields the final WC proposal that 3 shots were fired in about 8.3 sec

However, this led to a new problem which was to explain the 1st shot fired at closest range resulting in a complete miss

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »
One of the Warren Commission's findings was that the first shot to strike the President was fired between Z210 and Z225.

Thus the earliest that President Kennedy could have been struck was Z210, or 5.6 sec before Z313. 5.6 sec is also the maximum time span set by the WC if Z210 was the first shot of three fired. Such a scenario could mean:
  • Shot struck Kennedy (and possibly Connally)
  • Shot misses (or struck Connally no later than Z240, per WC)
  • Shot strikes head
Some programs and books used the 5.6 sec span as a benchmark for the three shots.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:55:02 AM »
One of the Warren Commission's findings was that the first shot to strike the President was fired between Z210 and Z225.

Thus the earliest that President Kennedy could have been struck was Z210, or 5.6 sec before Z313. 5.6 sec is also the maximum time span set by the WC if Z210 was the first shot of three fired. Such a scenario could mean:
  • Shot struck Kennedy (and possibly Connally)
  • Shot misses (or struck Connally no later than Z240, per WC)
  • Shot strikes head
Some programs and books used the 5.6 sec span as a benchmark for the three shots.

OR ... Oswald fired the first shot before Zapruder had restarted filming, and missed ...

--  MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:02:14 AM by Thomas Graves »

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »
Phil Willis put a time stamp on the first shot by clicking the shutter on his camera when the sound

of that shot startled him. A shot at Z-223-5 would require a second gunman.  The

alleged murder weapon couldn't be physically fired quick enough to be responsible for both.

The WC concluded JFK was reacting to being shot at Z-210 when he emerged from behind the Stemmons Freeway sign at Z-225.

Mr. WILLIS. No, sir; I took that picture just seconds before the first shot was fired, to get back close up. Then I started down the street, and the regular weekly edition of Life magazine came out and shows me in about three different pictures going down the street. Then my next shot was taken at the very--in fact, the shot caused me to squeeze the camera shutter, and I got a picture of the President as he was hit with the first shot. So instantaneous, in fact, that the crowd hadn't had time to react.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 06:08:02 PM »
Phil Willis put a time stamp on the first shot by clicking the shutter on his camera when the sound

of that shot startled him. A shot at Z-223-5 would require a second gunman.  The

alleged murder weapon couldn't be physically fired quick enough to be responsible for both.

The WC concluded JFK was reacting to being shot at Z-210 when he emerged from behind the Stemmons Freeway sign at Z-225.

Mr. WILLIS. No, sir; I took that picture just seconds before the first shot was fired, to get back close up. Then I started down the street, and the regular weekly edition of Life magazine came out and shows me in about three different pictures going down the street. Then my next shot was taken at the very--in fact, the shot caused me to squeeze the camera shutter, and I got a picture of the President as he was hit with the first shot. So instantaneous, in fact, that the crowd hadn't had time to react.

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »

Gary Craig,

Any other witnesses corroborate Willis' recollection of the timing of the first shot?

--  MWT  ;)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline Alan Hardaker

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 08:29:08 PM »
As the first shot missed and the timing is not known, it is the timings of the second shot that becomes important and that particular stop watch starts the millisecond the throat shot if fired. If it's 4.9 to 5.6 seconds between the throat shot and the head shot, that I would suggest that's time enough to reload, aim and fire an accurate shot. It's doable that's the point.