Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Hugh Aynesworth...Solver of the Kennedy Assassination  (Read 20321 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Hugh Aynesworth...Solver of the Kennedy Assassination
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »
Advertisement
Aynesworth states rather ironically that "people will say anything." Your words...
No...they are still Aynesworth's. Anyway...it looks like he was impeaching a Warren Commission witness regardless of which woman he was speaking about--- Bledsoe or Roberts :-\ 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:45 AM »
No...they are still Aynesworth's. Anyway...it looks like he was impeaching a Warren Commission witness regardless of which woman he was speaking about--- Bledsoe or Roberts :-\

Are the two words (lie) from your original post, that I bolded in that response, not your words? If they are your words then it appears that you are claiming that he lied.

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
It’s a lame attempt to discredit Hugh Aynesworth, just because he says some things that Jerry disagrees with.

Charles, you're approach is black, or white. Facts indicate it is
characterized by subtle shades of meaning or expression.
"Lowe's work has gradually grown more nuanced"
Why not marvel at the details instead of "nothing to see here, Jerry is mistaken, move along, readers...."

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/19103-did-the-cia-sheep-dip-and-orchestrate-the-tale-of-the-patsy-lee-harvey-oswald/

Tom Scully Posted May 17, 2012
Clover Todd Dulles Wed to Jens H. Jebsen In Chaped of Fifth..
https://www.nytimes.com/1951/04/22/archives/clover-todd-dulles-wed-to-jens-h-jebsen-in-chaped-of-fifth-avenue.html
New York Times - Apr 22, 1951
In a candlelit garden setting of white dogwood and smilax in the chapel of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church yesterday noon, Miss Clover Todd Dulles,..

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/9636-allen-w-dulles/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-252435
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/nyregion/06elliott.html?fta=y
Eleanor Thomas Elliott, Barnard Figure, Dies at 80
By THE NEW YORK TIMESDEC. 6, 2006
....The cause was injuries from a car accident, said her brother-in-law, Osborn Elliott, the former editor of Newsweek and a former dean of the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism.....

......Cousin Eleanor had a brother, cousin James Augustus Thomas, Jr.:....

https://archive.is/esTuB#selection-389.0-399.32
Secrets of Newsweek's Osborn Elliott & Hugh Aynesworth, & of Priscilla Johnson
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »

The news media--a service and a force - Page 26
http://books.google.com/books?id=GSobAQAAIAAJ
Howard Kingsbury Smith, Osborn Elliott, A. Merriman Smith - 1970
.....Let me cite a few other instances of the reporter's involvement in the events he is covering. Take last
summer in Chicago, for example. There is no question in my mind that certain police officers
deliberately assaulted members of the press who were covering events surrounding the convention— and
certainly there was no such question in the minds of eight Newsweek men who were battered by the police
while wearing clear identification as working reporters and photographers. (This was something,
incidentally, that could not be said for the constabulary's own methods of identifying itself; many of
the police officers removed their badges in the parade to make sure they could not be identified.) So
what should the press' reaction have been? In my view, its duty was to report what happened as
dispassionately as possible and later be willing to testify against whichever offending officers could
be identified. This is what our own men did. Or take the coverage of a more recent event—the trial of
Clay Shaw in New Orleans on charges that he conspired in the assassination of the late President
Kennedy. As it happened, Newsweek's chief reporter on the trial had spent literally thousands of man-
hours investigating the assassination itself and was considered a leading authority on the events that
followed. He had witnessed the assassination from close to the Texas School Book Depository and joined
the chase for Lee Harvey Oswald. He interviewed several of the witnesses at the Tippitt murder scene
and was in the Texas Theatre watching when Oswald was apprehended. He was just a few feet from Jack
Ruby when he shot Oswald, and he later interviewed Oswald's widow several times. It was he who
uncovered Oswald's Russian diary in mid-1964.
He covered the entire Ruby trial and was the only
reporter inside at Ruby's funeral. In short, quite an expert— and someone that District Attorney Jim
Garrison was anxious to enlist on his side.
But this reporter soon became convinced that Garrison had
no case whatsoever, and he made it his business to publicize this fact. The result was one of the first
critical stories published about Garrison— which was followed by a series of intimidating telephone
calls threatening the reporter's life. In Garrison's mind, this reporter and Newsweek had in effect
become co-defendants, and more than 1,100 prospective jurors were asked if they had read Newsweek's
critical story. We left this man on the story because we believed he was the best qualified to cover
it. And to this day, I am satisfied that he did so fairly and thoroughly. But I would not suggest for a
minute that subjectivity had not been involved— once again, in my view, in the interest of the truth
Some of you may recall that our final story on Clay's acquittal was given only nine lines in the
magazine. It ran under the headline "Fact and Opinion," and in its entirety it read as follows:
"Acquitted: By a jury in New Orleans, exactly two years to the day after his arrest on charges of
conspiracy to murder John F. Kennedy, retired Louisiana businessman Clay L. Shaw, 55. Convicted: By a
case that collapsed at every seam, District Attorney Jim Garrison, 47, of incompetence and
irresponsibility as a public official." You can't get much more subjective than that or, in my opinion,
much closer to the truth. There are much larger issues, of course, that involve subjectivity in
journalism— indeed the very largest issues of the day— and for a publication such as my own, which has
no editorial page, they can pose a problem. The news magazines ....
https://archive.is/o/esTuB/www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=95330&relPageId=42

Description of 1969 death of Priscilla's father: (Allen Dulles's cousin was last to see him alive...)

http://www.ampltd.co.uk/digital_guides/china_through_western_eyes_manuscript/publishers%20note.aspx
....James Augustus Thomas was born in Lawsonville, Rockingham County, North Carolina, on 6 March 1862. He was the son of Henry Evans Thomas and Cornelia Carolina (Jones) Thomas. He attended the Eastman National Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, and graduated in 1881. He married Anna, daughter of William Branson of Durham, North Carolina, on 27 April 1918. Unfortunately she died in November 1918. J A Thomas remarried on 21 November 1922 to Dorothy Quincy Hancock, daughter of Sheridan Pitt Read. They had two children: James Augustus Thomas jr and Eleanor Lansing Thomas....

Aynesworth was assigned to "cover" the Garrison investigation and prosecution of Clay Shaw in 1967 by Osborne Elliott. Elliott's brother was married to Eleanor Lansing Thomas, Allen and Foster Dulles's cousin, who happened to be the maid of honor in Allen's daughter Clover's wedding.

This Dulles cousin, Eleanor Lansing Thomas Osborne, sister-in-law of Ayneswprth's boss, happened to have a brother, James A. Thomas, Jr., who Priscilla testified to HSCA, instigated, managed, or participated in a "concealed suicide," of Priscilla's father, Stuart Holmes Johnson, in 1969. Priscilla testified to HSCA that this event upset her to the degree she was using it as the primary excuse for the delay in delivering her book, (from 1969 to 1977) "Marina & Lee," to her extremely patient Harper's editor, Marion S. Wyeth. Wyeth happened to be in the wedding party of a close friend of DeMohrenschildt's CIA shadow, Tom Devine.
Wyeth happened to live with his parents just two doors down, on a dead end street, from DeMohrenschildt's wife's father, Philip Sharples. Wyeth's father, an architect, designed both the home of Sharples and of Tom Devine's "best friend in Rochester," Joseph F Dryer, Jr. (before Dryer purchased the house). Devine's best man at his 1973 Jupiter Island wedding was William B. Macomber, Jr., also of Rochester, who, along with his wife, Phyliss Bernau, were two of Foster Dulles's closest Dept. of State, aids. Macomber was also best man in the 1946 wedding of Bush's sister, Nancy.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/2544-edwin-walker/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-271096
Tom Scully  Posted April 7, 2013.....
.......And an explanation of the following photo of a small section of West Palm Beach, FL. DeMohrenschildst's former
wife, Didi Sharples and her next husband bought the Ocean Front estate of Ailsa Mellon Bruce, labeled with a "B" in
this photo. Up above, the lot just below the "W" in Woodbridge Rd., was the residence from 1940 to 1983 of the architect father
of Priscilla Johnson's second Harper editor, the very patient and understanding Marion S. Wyeth, Jr. Two doors down
from Wyeth, Sr. at the end of very end of Woodbridge Rd. on the left, was the longtime residence of DIdi Sharples' parents,
the Philip Sharples.
" Mrs. Philip Sharples, 185 Woodbridge Rd. Georgian brick house. Beautifully landscaped to lake, charming
rock and water garden beside entrance court "

Phyllis Dorothy Bernau Macomber (1924-2014) - Find A Grave ...
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/170276313/phyllis-dorothy-macomber
Born in 19 Jul 1924 and died in 3 Sep 2014 Nantucket, Massachusetts Phyllis Dorothy Bernau Macomber.

Library - FOIA | CIA FOIA (foia.cia.gov)
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/search/site/phyllis?page=10
464 items - and his wife, Phyllis, live. at 2235 Carlyle Court, White Bear Lake, with their ... Jordan from Agency, and then passed into intelligence Phyllis Bernau, ...

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-10418559

Stock Photo - Eleanor Lansing Thomas, social secretary to Mr John Foster Dulles, US Secretary of State in 1954 pictured going through press cuttings.

http://jfkforum.com/2017/10/01/are-we-there-yet/
OCTOBER 1, 2017 BY ADMIN
Are we there yet? Part I

Marina Oswald Porter: To Forget Is Not To Forgive – The Washington …
Devine went on to attend M.I.T. and, just a few months later was residing in the Sigma Chi fraternity house with Garry Coit and fifteen other fraternity mates.

Peter Dryer, another of the not forgotten ten on Devine’s list in the yearbook, was the brother of Joseph F. Dryer, Jr., who met DeMohrenschildt in separate NYC meeting, but on the very same day as Devine, on 25 April, 1963 !

Peter Dryer partnered with brother Joseph in Cuba and then in Guatemala and was also a member of Wyeth’s 1948 Princeton class.

In January, 1964, Garry Coit happened to become the CIA contact of Priscilla Johnson….

Marion Sims “Buz” Wyeth had become by 1949, close enough to Devine’s former classmate to invite Hawley Ward to be an usher in his wedding party.:
Priscilla is asked by HSCA counsel in Feb., 1978, about her Harper editor’s (Buz Wyeth) reaction to the 12 year delay of her book…. (Marion “Buzz” Wyeth worked for Harper & Row since 1956) https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=95330#relPageId=43 Next Page:
...."and my editor since has been M.S. Wyeth  https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=95330#relPageId=44&tab=page ....

Aynesworth, to my knowledge, reported none of the above relevant and interesting coincidences, despite being on the scene to "catch wind," of at least some of them. I came along, 40+ years later, equipped only with curiousity, an internet connection, and a keyboard.

You can't make this stuff up, at least I cannot. I wouldn't know where to even begin.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:08:24 PM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »
In view of everything that Mr Everywhere That Weekend Hugh Aynesworth saw and did...you would have thought that he would have been called to testify before the Warren Commission. I wonder why he wasn't :-\

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »
I don't see any value to this post other than showing something that was in the news years ago that really doesn't have any bearing. One way or the other. LN'er or CT'er.
That is a rather unformed statement seeing as this entire forum deals with a topic that is over 56 years old.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
As soon as I walked into Gordon Shanklin's smoke-filled office, I saw the copy of the newspaper lying on his desk. I grabbed it. Staring back at me in bold, black print was the front-page headline: "FBI KNEW OSWALD CAPABLE OF ACT, REPORTS INDICATE."
I quickly scanned the first few paragraphs while Shanklin sat quietly behind his desk puffing away. The story read, "A source close to the Warren Commission told the Dallas News Thursday that the Commission has testimony from Dallas police that an FBI agent told them moments after the arrest and identification of Lee Harvey Oswald on November 22, that 'we knew he was capable of assassinating the president, but we didn't dream he would do it...'
                                                                        James Hosty, Assignment: Oswald (1996)

The source was not Jack Revill. Maybe you can call him the designated whistle blower....but the snitch-- was the government informant Hugh Grant Aynesworth.
J. Edgar Hoover came out blasting. He categorically denied the story's contentions. Revill himself partially retracted some of the article's allegations; he told the Dallas Times Herald that the comment that I never dreamed Oswald would kill the president was all someone else's fabrication. But Aynesworth and the Morning News had done the damage. It would prove to be irreversible regarding my relationships with the Dallas police and the Dallas media. Contrary to Aynesworth's assertion, Bryan supported my version of the events. He reported that he did not hear me make any kind of comment suggesting I knew Oswald was capable of killing the president.
The whole purpose of the false leak was further incrimination of Oswald...conformation to the general public that Lee Oswald was indeed the assassin.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »
As soon as I walked into Gordon Shanklin's smoke-filled office, I saw the copy of the newspaper lying on his desk. I grabbed it. Staring back at me in bold, black print was the front-page headline: "FBI KNEW OSWALD CAPABLE OF ACT, REPORTS INDICATE."
I quickly scanned the first few paragraphs while Shanklin sat quietly behind his desk puffing away. The story read, "A source close to the Warren Commission told the Dallas News Thursday that the Commission has testimony from Dallas police that an FBI agent told them moments after the arrest and identification of Lee Harvey Oswald on November 22, that 'we knew he was capable of assassinating the president, but we didn't dream he would do it...'
                                                                        James Hosty, Assignment: Oswald (1996)

The source was not Jack Revill. Maybe you can call him the designated whistle blower....but the snitch-- was the government informant Hugh Grant Aynesworth.
J. Edgar Hoover came out blasting. He categorically denied the story's contentions. Revill himself partially retracted some of the article's allegations; he told the Dallas Times Herald that the comment that I never dreamed Oswald would kill the president was all someone else's fabrication. But Aynesworth and the Morning News had done the damage. It would prove to be irreversible regarding my relationships with the Dallas police and the Dallas media. Contrary to Aynesworth's assertion, Bryan supported my version of the events. He reported that he did not hear me make any kind of comment suggesting I knew Oswald was capable of killing the president.
The whole purpose of the false leak was further incrimination of Oswald...conformation to the general public that Lee Oswald was indeed the assassin.

the snitch-- was the government informant Hugh Grant Aynesworth.

Please tell us the basis for that conclusion.

Here is another side of the story:

From "Witness to History" by Hugh Aynesworth pages 43-44:

Over at City Hall, Chief Curry was stirring up a storm of his own. After returning from Love Field, where he was on hand at 2:38 P.M. to watch Judge Hughes swear in Johnson, Curry read Lieutenant Revill's report on his basement conversation with FBI Agent Hosty with considerable interest.

"If we had known a defector or extremist was anywhere in the city, much less on the parade route, we would have been sitting in his lap," Curry was later quoted by the Associated Press.

The chief told me that up on DPD's third-floor office complex, "I was stopped going down the hall, and the press wanted to know all about what evidence we had and why a Russian defector had been ignored along the mororcade route. I told them that there was a rifle and a pistol belonging to Oswald. And I guess I stepped a bit too far at that point. I said, "The FBI knew all about this man, knew he was capable of killing the president and so forth."

Within the hour FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover dispatched Gordon Shanklin to Curry's office with a message. The bespectacled Shanklin apologized for being there, Curry told me, but nonetheless insisted that the chief retract his statement.

Curry trusted that Lieutenant Revill's report was accurate, but "at that point," he explained, "I didn't see what all the shouting was about. I knew the truth would come out soon. But when Shanklin told me the bureau had not had Oswald under surveillance, I agreed and did soften that statement a few minutes later."

Shanklin hadn't been entirely truthful with Chief Curry. While Oswald wasn't kept under surveillance, the FBI had been very interested in locating him, particularly after they learned in October that he'd visited the Soviet embassy in Mexico City.
But Curry kept his word. As the chief returned to Captain John-known as Will, his middle name-Fritz's office in Homicide and Robbery a few minutes later, he told the big crowd of reporters, "I do not know if and when the bureau interviewed him [Oswald]."
Our story of Jack Revill's memo and Joe Hosty's remarks must have stung sharply over at the Times Herald, for the paper promptly published a poorly considered response that caused embarrassment even to some of its own reporters. The afternoon our story ran, the Times Herald bannered its front page with "FBI Denies Statement on Oswald," and quited Hoover directly. Referring to Revill's recollection the director allegedly said, "That is absolutely false. The agent made no such statement, and the FBI had no such knowledge."

It was a great knock-down of our original story, except for one problem - the Hoover quote was a fabrication. My source for this information was the article's putative writer, George Carter. Angry and deeply embarrassed, George called me to say that not only was his name put on the story without his knowledge but also that the Hoover interview had never occurred. The FBI director would not talk to the Times Herald, Carter told me. He wasn't sure whether the newspaper blithely spliced his name to another official's words or, even worse, made up the quotes altogether.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Please tell us the basis for that conclusion
Go get your eyes checked. If you are going to troll my posts...try being a bit more creative. I will enlarge print for your apparent deficient vision.---
About a week after the assassination, Aynesworth, along with Bill Alexander, an assistant district attorney in Dallas, decided to find out if Lee Oswald had been an informant of the Dallas FBI, and of mine in particular. To this end, they concocted a totally false story about how Lee Oswald was a regularly paid informant of the Dallas FBI. At the time, I had no idea what information the Houston Post was relying on; it wasn't until February 1976, in Esquire magazine, that Aynesworth finally admitted he and Alexander had lied and made up the entire story in an effort to draw the FBI out on this issue. They said Oswald was paid $200 a month and even made up an imaginary informant number for Oswald, S172 - which was not in any way how the FBI classified their informants. Aynesworth then fed this story to Lonnie Hudkins of the Post, who ran it on January 1, 1964. Hudkins cited confidential but reliable sources for his story's allegations. The FBI issued a flat denial of the Post story. I was once again prohibited by Bureau procedure from commenting. It was clear that they were pointing a finger at me, since I was known to be the agent in charge of the Oswald file.
                                                                                                     James Hosty, Assignment: Oswald

FBI SA James Hosty... --Aynesworth = liar ............source cited
Aynesworth---I am not a liar---trust me [meaning = f**k off]
Whether or not Oswald was actually an informant for the FBI could not be revealed...so we will never know. We do know that Aynesworth supplied mis-information unless this post was read with your eyes closed. I realize that Mr Aynesworth must have really sugar talked you somewhere along the line.
Have him canonized if you wish.